• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with a custom ability: Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Here's the tooltip for the ability:

Forces all non-hero enemy units in an area around the targetted unit to randomly switch targets. If an enemy Hero is the targetted unit, all nearby non-hero enemy units will target that Hero.

Level 1 - Minor area.
Level 2 - Small area.
Level 3 - Medium area.
Level 4 - Large area.

The problem I'm having is that when this ability is used, people will either think their allies are backstabbing them or there's a major bug in the map. I've only had one case where someone on the opposing team figured out on their own that it was my hero's ability that was causing it. Right now, I have a "taunt" special effect displayed on the targetted unit when the spell is cast. My question is: What can I do to make it more obvious that it's a hero's ability that's causing unit to attack their allied forces?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If people think they are being backstabed, it is their fault.
It would be pretty obvious to be if that happened. Atmost change the buff as to look like something big and obvious around the units head, nothing more.

If need be, when the hero learns the ability make it tell everyone that it has been learned. Or when cast force player deselect of all units affected, making it obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.