• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Portal and Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Greetings Empire,

A few problems, I have.
Problem #1: Making a portal spell, I am. It will work when one unit channels it while the others enter the portal - the channeling unit enters the portal last. A dummy ability that is channeled and able to be stopped, I seek - does one exist?
Problem #2: Also making a custom rain of chaos, I am. Take a look at this:
  • Set Temp_Group = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Current order of (Matching unit)) Equal to (Order(starfall))))
Based the ability on starfall I did, so works it does. But works with units casting the regular starfall this trigger does also - and that I want not. I have tried "Name of (Ability)", its raw code and its name entered by me, but then the game crashes because it counts all units as such. How do I fix this?

Level 12
Okay. I'll repeat the questions just in case.
Question #1: Channeling spell, that be turned off the same way Immolation and Mana Shield are turned off, or at least a system that makes the unit channel a spell and replace the ability channeled with another that stops the channeling.
Question #2: Take a look at this trigger order:
  • Set Temp_Group = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Current order of (Matching unit)) Equal to (Order(starfall))))
I made this to target all units being ordered to channel a custom spell which is based on Starfall. Since this includes the units channeling the regular starfall I tried to make it specific for the spell, by changing the (Order(starfall)) to: (Order(abilityname)), (Order(Name of (Ability))), and (Order(ability_rawcode)). All of those ended up crashing the game, and I predict that it was because the trigger targeted EVERY unit - the trigger fired even while no unit casted the spell. How do I fix this?

Level 5
maybe set it so that when a unit activates (starfall) add it to a group and when it stops remove it from the group. then have the spell target units in the group. this way of adding them to the group has less possible ways of screwing up than the way you did it i think
as for the channeling spell there arent any spells that i can think of that can be turned off like that, but what might work is that when a unit activates it, remove the channel ability and replace with something activatable like howl of terror, only with no targets and the activation effect removed. then set a trigger so that when (howl) is activated issue a stop order to the caster, which will probably stop the channel. then replace (howl) with (starfall). theres a possibility that channeling might stop when the (starfall) is removed, so if that happens then dont remove (starfall) just add (howl) to an open spot instead.
EDIT: i checked and yes, the stop order will stop channel.

Level 12
maybe set it so that when a unit activates (starfall) add it to a group and when it stops remove it from the group. then have the spell target units in the group. this way of adding them to the group has less possible ways of screwing up than the way you did it i think
No that wouldn't do, since I already said that units casting the regular starfall would also be added to the group. The way I'm going to solve this is by adding a "And" condition that "level of (custom spell) for (matching unit) equal to 1", since the spell is an ultimate and that we're assuming that no one will put the two spells together for the same unit. This question (#2) is solved, else anyone has anything else to offer.
as for the channeling spell there arent any spells that i can think of that can be turned off like that, but what might work is that when a unit activates it, remove the channel ability and replace with something activatable like howl of terror, only with no targets and the activation effect removed. then set a trigger so that when (howl) is activated issue a stop order to the caster, which will probably stop the channel. then replace (howl) with (starfall). theres a possibility that channeling might stop when the (starfall) is removed, so if that happens then dont remove (starfall) just add (howl) to an open spot instead.
EDIT: i checked and yes, the stop order will stop channel.
Sorry, but I didn't understand your solution. Anyway, if you order the unit to channel an ability and then you remove the ability - doesn't that stop the channeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.