• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

POLL-Is geomerging ruining model-making?

Is geomerging ruining model making?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
It depends. I personally don't think we need all these crappy and/or useless models, like say..

"here is unarmed tauren model #26 with even MORE different animations!"

or..

"here is Geo-Orc #91 with a single-horned helmet instead of a double one!"

or..

"LYK THIS IS TEH SHEEP WARROIR!1 HES A KNIGHT WITH A SHEEP 4 A HED! LOL!!1 yea i know it sux :("

For those 'models', yes. Murderous rampage please. But then there's the other hand.

Geosetting... GOOD geosetting, rather, can produce clean, crisp, nice results. Combine it with a good custom skin, and you usually have a very nice result. If you need a model only for a practical purpose, to fit right into the theme of War3, a good geoset is usually everything you need.

So I voted no, but I can emphatize with your reasoning.

Level 22
I think GreyArchon pretty much hit the nail on the head right there...

Well considering most people either don't have the means, knowledge, or skill to make scratch models, what other alternative is there to help increase the ammount of work submitted on this site?

I mean, take me for example, I've been wanting to scratch model for ages, but I can't find any comprehensive tutorials for making models that can be applied to WC3. The ones on wc3campaigns is like "Okay, make a shape, sculpt it, put bones in it, animate it, UV map it then export it." Yeah, like that tells me squat....Its very frustrating and has left me with only the ability to geomerge/animtransfer.
-VGsatomi

Level 11
i can see that everyone is picking on me and taurens. why? greyarchon, the reason i released soo many different weaponless tauren, is since some didn't like my others. and no geomerging is not ruining modding, but enhancing it, 95% of all models have a geomerge, i'd say. and when you geomerge well, then you can give a unit an entire different look. Firstly, if you guys don't like my geomerges, make your own! taurens are ahrder to geomerge, cause of thier head, and iif i were to weld it to the body, there would be serious UV mapping distprtions. and i don't see you making any models, so shut up until you do. and Eurisa, normally geomergeing is not a simple task, but since oinker released his tool it is. :wink:

Level 23
Geomerging is, thanks to the Oinkertools, a way for any random punter to break into model making. It means that anyone, with a tiny bit of technical know-how and common sense can get a half-way decent result, a result that looks almost professional.
BUT, there is a double edge to this sword - people that have a complete disregard for what looks good. I know, I've produced a couple of really terrible geomerges myself. But I haven't flooded this site with them (well, I released one, but we won't go into that). Crap geomerging aids the learning process, but when people insist on submitting every single one of their orcs-with-extra-horns it ruins it for everyone... So, geomerging is good for modelling. Its the people that aren't.

Level 8
It isn't bad, but some geomerges are TERRIBLE!
Like a Footman with a Knight's head?! What's up with that? The head is WAY too big and it sticks out!

I've been to other WC3 sites and one of them had a geomerge of a sheep's head on a Footman with sheep wings. That ruins it, but generally, when used correctly, it can make a newbie look like a pro just like Eurisa said.

alot of you are saying "on the other hand", which is exactly why i started this poll. some people think what im saying is correct, but some, like you all, don't. thanks for your opinions and votes. though people should definately think that more CUSTOM models should be made, and not as any modifications/geomerges (a little bit what like VGsatomi said) .

Level 5
I think that there both: good and bad sides of geomerging, cause if you know what you want to do you, adding some small objects and enhancing them with geomerges from other models or giving them some own merges of primitives can make the model look very good.

Bad things in geomerging is that people don't get more ideas, they think if a model has a new weapon or a changed head and animation then it's a work of art. The bad sides were mentioned previously so I don't add anything more.

Some have mentioned only small programs made by Oinkerwinkle that can make geomerges, GMax is a program which can do similar modifications to models which you import and export using plugins.

I'm neutral in the good or bad choice, but people can make more decent models using programs like GMax, LithUnwarp and other I haven't mentioned which cost nothing and can give nice modifications to the geomerged models.

Level 3
Like practically everyones else posts lol

It's fine mostly, it all depends.

The kind of bad geomerges in my opinion are those which make no sense and those which dont work (ect, bits are broken, animations dont work) Not to say my geomerges are exellent, oh i do try to make some but they are pathetic so i dont post em :D

But mose geomerges look cool. And if somebody skins it then well you can hardly tell. So it doesnt ruin modelling anymroe than bad skins ruin skinning and bad from-scratch models ruin moddeling (which they dont thats my point...kinda confusing but ya know)

Level 4
i think geomerging is cool if you get a good result wilst i agree that there are a few weaponless taurens i also also condone his effort because if there werent people like him turning out model after model after model the model section wouldnt exist coz there wouldn't be any models in it ive tried geomerging i think i got a good result but i cant upload on to the site because i need a skin for it and i cant get the animations for it but i think i got a good result so please dont not condone geomerging coz its good its quick and it allows newbies such as me to have a sense of huge accomplishment after the geomerge so long as it looks good

I'm not sure what to vote. I mean I understand both sides of the argument. I love some geomerges people have done (Skeleton archer on Black Dragon, gotta love it) but then u get the horrible "Take out flamethrower insert totem." stuff, it makes no sense. Personally there needs to be a seperate section for geomerges that don't use custom skins. Otherwise we just have a flood of useless stuff blocking the site of the models that are worthy of our attention.

Aka I say we petition to add a new section to the rules...

"Geomerges must be complete and not just a head swap or weapon swap, and cannot be just added or replaced animations."

Anyone agree with this?

though Deathbringer is not very high on the power tree, I agree with him. and I also agree that some geomerges I like (like the recently-submitted matriarch thing and the MountedArthas model...). AND Deathbringer...
"Geomerges must be complete and not just a head swap or weapon swap, and cannot be just added or replaced animations in exception to requests.

thanks for the posts guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.