• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

players lagg except host

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I tested my game with some friend. When i was the host everything was smooth for me and he had delayment. When he was host he dident had delayment anymore, but I had.

Is that normal when having a system that runs every 0.03 sec and settings Heights and locations of (in my tested cases) 3 units?
Or is the problem in a bug in my map?

Level 11
1st reason is mentioned by Wietlol, check internet, probably got bad ping for it when you/friend hosting map.

For 2nd, i'm not quite sure about it. You may try to disable the trigger that run 0.03 sec for setting heights and locations for your 3 units, see if your map will have no lag for others player. If it is, then probably is cause by frequently setting locations for units problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I tested my game with some friend. When i was the host everything was smooth for me and he had delayment. When he was host he dident had delayment anymore, but I had.
This shows the symptoms of a poor internet connection. The "host" player always has near minimum (there still is some due to how the network drivers work) latency as the host server is located with the client which probably communicates with it using a loopback IP address. Anyone else will be subject to network Round Trip Time latency.

It is very common in this day and age for private household networks to have very poor latency. This is usually caused by having an unreliable internet connection (wireless) which suffers intermittent loss or due to network congestion as a result of all the household activities taking place. For example if someone were to be downloading a game and uploading a youtube video at the same time as either one of you is playing on either of your networks then you will get these symptoms you described.

Internet TCP flow control works by allowing as much data as possible to flow until packet loss occurs (routers drop packets) in which case it throttles down the send rate and re-sends the loss. This is fine for streaming the latest episode of something like Holby City where buffering occurs however if you are playing a real time game you often find the result is that your latency critical packets are the ones dropped resulting in them having to be re-sent possibly even multiple times.

In theory you can use packet labelling and traffic prioritization to prevent packet loss and assure low latency for your gaming packets however this seldom works. It will correctly prioritize outbound traffic assuring your game packets low latency and guaranteed transmission outside your network. However inbound packets from the ISP will still be mercilessly dropped before transmission to you at the last hop (such as would be the case if someone was downloading a game maxing your download rate). The result is that maximizing your network throughput and optimizing game play experience are mutually exclusive and cannot co-exist. You will need to either specifically allocate bandwidth for certain purposes or cap all bandwidth intensive tasks.

Try to test this in a LAN.
By that you mean a real LAN where the computers are physically connected with a high-speed LAN connection such as 100 mbps Ethernet. This would eliminate network latency as a cause. Using a "Virtual Private LAN" does not count as if anything it will add more RRT due to having to route via a proxy which might be located physically far away.

Level 7
Im pretty sure a bad internet connection is not the problem. But to be 100% sure i uploaded the map @ makemehost. In a few days i can test it out

Status
Not open for further replies.