• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Playable Terraining Contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Just wanted to create this thread, but saw you beat me up to it. Please don't take this the wrong way but terraining contest aren't "useful". To me it seems like making a model and then just showing it off without even being able to use it for something.

When it comes to playable terraining contests they should exceed in beauty and be playable at the same time of course,

terraining contest
They are 'Terraining' Contests for a good reason you know :]

It's all art and something enjoyable to look at and learn from.

If you want a playable map just do a mapping contest :]
...or wait for 5 terraining contests to pass and partake in the one playable one that comes in between the regular scenic ones :)

Level 14
I agree with @Abovegame - they are called 'terraining' contest not scenic or picture contest... Making an interesting terrain sounds much more interesting and involved than working on a still picture. One could also allow for custom cameras to spice it all up.
Having one picture of a single scene is far less about 'terrain' than providing a navigable scene in my opinion. At least contestants should be required to provide more than 1 shot.

Level 11
I don't really mind which term you want to use for these, Scenic Terraining Contest or Playable Terraining Contest or anything else really. But i was just saying i would like to see some playable terrains that really blow your mind.

Didn't mean to step on anybodies toes. :)

Level 29
Hello, I didn´t see this post, (my bad)

I created this.
Terraining Contest #20 - Theme Poll

I listed the 19 terraining contest and I have to say that from the 19 terraining contest
the theme of the 10 contest and 18 contest was playable (Playable Surrealism, Playable Desert).

I agree with Heinvers since is more easy and because of the like 17 screen stuff trayectory, the 19 terraining contest and most of the previus contest already have a pack or rules, adding playable stuff it could be never ending (tons of triggers, beta testing, bugs...)

maybe the category that you @Daffa the Mage mention as Playable Terraining contest is in fact a Template Contest.

Template | HIVE

Templates can not be played as a "game" but have potential of gaming and to be walked with units, like dungeon exploring.

Now if you say that a map must be played and have wining condition and all that stuff well is a Mapping contest or a Mini-map contest in wich you can make it look beauty, but must be played. If you want that well it should be focus on balance (While terraining focus only in beauty skills), there are melee contest,... and

altered melee or RPG OR AOS
contest? no thanks, to long,also after re-forged launchs It seems all altered will be no-compatible garbage.

Overall, a playable terraining I think it should be called Mapping contest:" what ever you want".

and keep the terraining contest title to screen productions ( I think the playable terraining contest 10 and 18 were heresy with the numbers and trayectory but well is past).

I don't really mind which term you want to use for these, Scenic Terraining Contest or Playable Terraining Contest or anything else really. But i was just saying i would like to see some playable terrains that really blow your mind.

Didn't mean to step on anybodies toes. :)

Maybe it will be more wise to wait Reforged. than produce maps that will be no compatible in months.
melee contest is diferent since user are trying to reach Blizzard and have new maps for Reforged melee pool of maps.

They are 'Terraining' Contests for a good reason you know :]

It's all art and something enjoyable to look at and learn from.

If you want a playable map just do a mapping contest :]
...or wait for 5 terraining contests to pass and partake in the one playable one that comes in between the regular scenic ones :)
so every 5 terraining contest , 1 playable, I didnt see that pattern in the list I made. (only 10 and 18)

This will be shafted for the 24th Terraining Contest ^^

I agree with @Abovegame - they are called 'terraining' contest not scenic or picture contest... Making an interesting terrain sounds much more interesting and involved than working on a still picture. One could also allow for custom cameras to spice it all up.
Having one picture of a single scene is far less about 'terrain' than providing a navigable scene in my opinion. At least contestants should be required to provide more than 1 shot.

if you do a melee contest would you submit an AOS map? I dont think so.
melee and AOS have trayectory and its definition should not be changed.

same with the terraining contest. 17 terraining contest of screen productions gives a trayectory that should be mantained. they are called terraining contest because their names can not be changed (contest archieves), so the name is reserved. terraining contest 20 should be equal as the 19, 21 equal as 20 and so on.
even after 2 playable terraining contest (10 and 18), is against 17, the name "terraining contest" by numbers wins the trayectory of screen production. (also the first terraining contest was Terraining challange and you could submit 3 screens and use the Ultimate Mapping tool)

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes from those previous contest, hence the 'playable' term. It's on the terrainer side as @GhostHunter123 stated.

I might not be clear as steel when saying 'Playable Terraining Contest', but it seems to be a thing I noticed from the terraining contest series. Anyway, now that we're clear on the case, it's making a terrain that can be used as template for future works.

Level 29
It comes from those previous contest, hence the 'playable' term. It's on the terrainer side as @GhostHunter123 stated.

I might not be clear as steel when saying 'Playable Terraining Contest', but it seems to be a thing I noticed from the terraining contest series. Anyway, now that we're clear on the case, it's making a terrain that can be used as template for future works.
@Ragnaros17 Playable terrain simply considers a few more aspects than usual, such as camera perspective and pathing blockers.
It has nothing to do with triggers or the like. That is on the mappers, not the terrainers.
So, playable terrain still centers around terraining.

I didn´t understand the concept of "Playable" in "Playable Terraining contest" because the 2 Playable Terraining contest done, I didn´t read or look what was just know the titles, also 2 is a few number to call trayectory, thats why I wrote my long post about templates and stuff,

"it's making a terrain that can be used as template for future works."

ah ok, got it now. Seems fun!!, like dungeon design.

Status
Not open for further replies.