• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Place for Modding (Wc3 vs Sc2 (vs Unity))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
(Wc3 of course, I can't edit the title...)

Hi all,
I've made a break of several years.
Still I have my unfullyfied projects, but it would be nearly similar hard to think through them again as to start something new.

In Wc3 there is a new patch I see? The new map-size of 128mb seems great.
Are there similar good patches for the galaxy editor?

Now it's 2017, what do you guys think is the best choice to start "new"?
Wc3 would be easy, but today it's really really old, Sc2 seems to be no great deal either? And to start something real like Unity5 I don't feel comfortable yet without programmingstudying, but it would have the most promising future, but I am even a Jass noob.

I know there are many similar threads, but a topic like this should be restarted every few years I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
It really comes down to two basic considerations:
  • How much effort are you willing to put into it (in terms of skills acquisition, and time spent working)(of course this is influenced by your own skills at the moment - as a naive example, you might be attending university and already be learning c++ at an advanced stage)
  • what do you want to achieve in the end (and also: is it realistic that you'll achieve it alone?)
In terms of limitations I ca safely say wc3 < sc2 < adaptable engines like unity.
But the efforts required to create content increase drastically.

Level 11
Any recent-ish games you enjoyed that included an editor? Go with that.

Unity's kinda crap but it's popular and you can get support for it.

Wc3, as has been said, is easy to make something with so if you want quick development and don't care about audience very much, that's a fine choice.

Sc2 is the worst of both worlds.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

learning c++ at an advanced stage
What does learning C++ at an advanced stage mean? I think it's a flaw if a programming language in itself is complicated. C master race.

Level 14
What does learning C++ at an advanced stage mean? I think it's a flaw if a programming language in itself is complicated. C master race.
what it means is self evident to common sense, consulta a coursebook and by seeing that there are many chapters, you'll see even c++ has basic and advanced features. I can see where your second statement comes from and I'm sure it's a widely held opinion, and I tend to agree too. But it's completely irrelevant to the thread. PM me.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Hive is a small community. Doesn't matter where discussions are held. And mods get off to using moderation features, we'd just contribute to good cause.

What do you mean 'is self evident to common sense'?

How does the amount chapters correlate to complexity (which I was querying) of a language? The book might just cover lots of usage fields for said language.

Status
Not open for further replies.