• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PiranhaPlant

This is the Mario Piranha Plant... Man did this take a while to piece together...

Before I get raged with some comments, least know that the animation of the plant poping out and back in the pipe are untweakable... meaning this is the inbetween keys between animations... I tweaked the best I can to make it look somewhat decent on the stand and attack keys. (so it does its best to look decent coming in and out.) Overall I think its better that the plant does this...

UPDATE: (12/13/2009) (ROTATING PIPE FIXED)

There is a better way to use this UNIT now:
Make the unit a building and Take away its projectile (unless you are casting a projectile with it), lower it's range so it is more melee about 100 or 200. The unit will not move or rotate the pipe. Triggers may still be needed to keep ranged units from staying outside the pipes attack range...
-Thx to Mephestrial for the help on this

Please if you use my model just give me credit.

(This unit does not have Dissipate, because it would be a stupid hero being that it isnt ment to move... I however did give it a walk animation just incase though. )

UPDATE: Sorry Forgot to add camera. - added
UPDATE: (12/16/2009) Head proportions fixed.
UPDATE: (12/16/2009) Overall Tweaks, texture correction on Head

Keywords:
Mario,Mushroom,red,green,powerup,power,up,item,pick,up,luigi,yoshi,princess,peach,bowser,toad,koopa,troopa,spiney,boo,goomba,king,koopa,wario,wauiligi
Contents

PiranhaPlant (Model)

Reviews
11:49, 3rd Jan 2010 General Frank: Very nice model. Approved.

M

11:49, 3rd Jan 2010
General Frank:

Very nice model. Approved.

Level 4
Doo-doo doo doo doo didd a litty litta doo MARIO!!! Awesome and funny alhough head looks a little ummm squishy. Also theres a certain peasant jumping out of a minecart model that may help with this. Maybe by looking at it it may give you ideasas in coming up and down in pipe. Overall I liked it till I saw filesize a bit high for just a plant xD but i guess if you were making a maze map filesize wouldn't be #1 thing on your list.

Last edited:
Level 11
Looks nice at the picture! :wink: Hope its looks nice in a map :)

it will if you try to make it work like a piranha plant would, thus needing some triggers... halt commands and such.

Never tried to make it ranged and spit fire balls but I guess it could.

EDIT: No need to trigger halt anymore since piranha plant is classified as a structure/building

Last edited:
hmmmmmmm tested it out does look nice. It would be awesome if you could make it shoot little balls of fire.

Just open up the object editor and set these...
Art-Projectile Launch-X: 40
Art-Projectile Launch-Z: 189
Combat-Attack 1-Animation Damage Point: 0.300
Combat-Attack 1-Projectile Art: Abilities\Weapons\FireBallMissile\FireBallMissile.mdl

Level 11
Just open up the object editor and set these...
Art-Projectile Launch-X: 40
Art-Projectile Launch-Z: 189
Combat-Attack 1-Animation Damage Point: 0.300
Combat-Attack 1-Projectile Art: Abilities\Weapons\FireBallMissile\FireBallMissile.mdl

yea i figured they had a fire projectile that was useable... only thing is the animations are more melee.. So when I am done with other more important models I could perhaps make one version with spit animations. (and change it to a green piranha plant to make it slightly unique)

Level 7
Oh my god. Finally, someone actually thinks about making a Piranha Plant and does it! Woo. Thanks a million, this is very useful, definitely will put it in my map. :grin:

Level 11
Oh my god. Finally, someone actually thinks about making a Piranha Plant and does it! Woo. Thanks a million, this is very useful, definitely will put it in my map. :grin:

np, i thought about mario maps... and how can you have mario without piranha plants... (YOU CANT!) It seemed tricky to pull off, but with some outside help Its working perfect

It was annoying trying to give it teeth because I had to manually go in and split up the parts in a closed mouth and open them during animation, way worth it though. The little thorns on the sides were my added concept.

Level 23

well, this would be the second one :/ The first one (mine) had some errors and I never got back to remaking the model. :/

Edit: Just tested it, and I found that it is simply a shadow in the game. And, in magos, it looks great, but the stand anim has the plant biting the bottom of his pot.

Level 31
Why is the entire model squished along the y axis? I don't understand why you didn't make it perfectly round... lol, it baffles me how you came to the decision... D:

Plus, the texture is weird. The dots are barely noticeable. Look up the actual creature. Also, with the texture, the lips look like smeared white lipstick.

I usually don't comment on other people's models, but this one just baffles me...

And, the stand 1 anim is all screwed up. Atleast, in magos anyway. And, doesn't the piranha plant shoot fireballs? Not, weird head swipes?

SO MANY QUESTIONS! MY BRAIN HURTS!

Level 11
well, this would be the second one :/ The first one (mine) had some errors and I never got back to remaking the model. :/

Edit: Just tested it, and I found that it is simply a shadow in the game. And, in magos, it looks great, but the stand anim has the plant biting the bottom of his pot.

the stand animation is not important since the plant is under the terrain.. Its mostly just flickering because of some vision track error. (in magos you will notice it , but in game its fine)

Why is the entire model squished along the y axis? I don't understand why you didn't make it perfectly round... lol, it baffles me how you came to the decision... D:

Plus, the texture is weird. The dots are barely noticeable. Look up the actual creature. Also, with the texture, the lips look like smeared white lipstick.

I usually don't comment on other people's models, but this one just baffles me...

And, the stand 1 anim is all screwed up. Atleast, in magos anyway. And, doesn't the piranha plant shoot fireballs? Not, weird head swipes?

SO MANY QUESTIONS! MY BRAIN HURTS!

Again with the stand animation.. I wish ppl would refrain from it in magos.. It's flickering but you do not see the plant in the game. It only pops up upon its attack. (If it appears to be moving its because it is blending into its next key animation)

I will go about rounding the head, amazing how picky people get about textures though as if I cant add my own touch to them :) .. I made it a bit smeary on purpose instead of a flat smooth line. (it wasnt a texture error)

Yes the piranha plant did bite... geez, people dont play old school mario? He would pop straight up and start chomping, however him doing that in warcraft would look extremely stupid.. so I made him lash out at passing units. (3rd dimension sheesh)

EDIT: Head has been fixed btw.

Last edited:
Level 11
does that count the one I made? :p (mods kept demanding smaller polies till it was unreconizable, other than black spots I didn't know how to fix at the time :/)

just saying its a cartoon if I wanted oval pipes i could have them :p but oval pipes arnt intended here.

I wouldn't know about your model.. the only other piranha plant I have seen was the one in the mario side scroller map hosted here.. (It didnt have spots.. looked a venus fly trap)

perhaps when starcraft comes out they will have higher poly models... I noticed warcraft will work with Editable Poly's which reduce poly count by half but make the file size larger.

Level 4
piranha plant:I am going to eat you mario
mario:Hay piranha plant, you have a warcraft model now
piranha plant:A whatawhata model
mario:It a game
piranha plant:I star in alot of games
mario:No its a game that you never was supposed to be in but some one made a model for the game that you can put in to the game
piranha plant:what are you talking about AAAAAH thats it I am going to eat you now
mario:Noooooooooooooo
piranha plant:final its over, now what is warcraft hum I am going to google it, oh this is a cool game I'm buying it