• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pieces to a Good/challenging Boss fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I think that one of the major flaws of some maps are lack of boss fights, or non-engaging boss fights. So I decided that this may be a good thread topic. I myself have the true passion in WC3 of making engaging boss-fights. However, Im wondering what other people think about bossfights. Here are some of my Ideas on what I put in bossfights and what makes boss fights interesting.

Adding abilitys- This is the basic to all boss fights, and I think that everyone would agree with this. No one wants to fight a boss for ten minutes with the boss simply spamming the attack animation.

Adding events/stages- Adding in events in the boss fight are definatly a plus in fight. If they challenge your reaction time, it makes a player more aware of the fight itself. For example, stop casting and run away from the giant laser that is headed your way, and attempt to get back in range to fight the boss before the laser makes its round trip again. Stages shake up a players strategy. What they were doing moments before may no longer be valid when the stage of the fight changes.

Uniqueness to Boss/Location- Every boss can have unique things happen due to the location or what boss it is. This could help you vary from others who follow these steps. For example (From StasMaN) "If there is a Naga boss which is underwater , you should add a safe place and a timer for the breath your hero has, for example a 2 minute timere. When that timer ends , the hero would start losing life until he goes to the safe spot and restores the lost life" That is somthing unique to a water boss, somthing you wouldnt have when you are fighting a giant knight or an Earth Elemental.

Voices!- I believe that adding fitting voices to the boss when he uses abilitys and does
events, can create a more realistic feeling to the fight. It can also help to warn players of an upcoming bosses ability. Voices express a bosses personality, therefor making fighting the boss all-the-more exciting.

Minions- Adding minions or mini-bosses to a boss fight can make the fight all the more difficult, as it adds an extra threat variable to the fight. So if you are working on fighting a mini-boss, you not only have to work on taking the mini-boss down, but you also have to attempt to evade the main bosses abilitys.

Space/movement- Bosses should come with an enviornment that requires the same amount of attention as the boss itself. Although this may seem the same as uniqueness to location, it is not. The boss fight should include small subtle things that may not be noticed, but should be noticed if the player wants to survive. For example, 2 small rocks may appear near a player, no big deal? However, within 4 seconds the rock explodes dealing damage and a massive stun. This stun may lead to the player being hit by another ability they have to run out of to survive. The boss should attempt to trap the player. So, this brings us to the question. Who is attacking or trapping who?

Randomization/Secret Powers- Bosses, although some require known abilites to plan strategy, should also include secret powers in the fight. Things like a secret reincarnation or split can make players jump out of their seat. So go ahead, and add the bosses secret LAZERZ, im sure that would be fun ^_^

Required Human-interaction. - Human-interaction ,if not doubles, triples a bosses difficulty. Most people would be able to beat a boss by-themselves for they know what they are going to do and when they are going to do it. With multiple players, and events that require people to work together, you must learn each others strengths and weakness's. For example, my "Battle against the Defiler" requires all armies to move in on Archimonde at the same time, or else it could easily end up as a defeat. If one person does not know that you are about to move in, and has a delay of about 10 seconds before he realizes that he is supposed to move in, well, its game over.

Enrage/Timer- Bosses that have a window of time to beat them in, makes every move critical. So people need to know what they are doing, and execute it without much of a delay. For example, you are on a ship and a boss has begun overloading the generator, and you must defeat the boss in 8 minutes before the ship explodes. However, the boss also spawns adds that if killed deal a good 4-5% damage to the bosses health. At the point it is critical for each member to be able to stop killing the boss and kill the adds when they spawn, or they might not make the timer.

I believe that if these elements are used, you can make an excellent boss fight, and your map could provide all-the-more fun for players. Now, I wonder what other peoples thoughts are on this post. Would you agree that these are elements to a good boss fight? Would you like to add somthing or do you believe that somthing here doesnt fit in with a boss fight? I like opinions ^_^

~Asomath

Last edited:
Level 13
Hmm , actually what you're writing is exactly correct ^^ These are all the elements bosses need , and hmm , maybe some more ''unique'' things for each boss . For example : A naga boss which is underwater , you should add a safe place and a timer for breath , for example 2 minutes , and when that timer ends , hero should start losing life until he goes to the save spot and restores ^^ (I was going to do that on my ORPG)

Level 14
Ohhh your right about that one! Im going to add that into the first post! However, quick reccomendation for your map, I do not think it should restore life, for that could be used badly. You should simply make it reset the breath timer, and let the healers heal the person up. For the fact that oxygen or bubbles dont heal your wounds, and it would make it seem more like the bosses ability.

Level 7
Everything you said was right, but I like the idea where after you hurt the boss a bit, it moves back, sends minions out, and THEN casts AOE spells with delay and indication of where it is (like flame strike). This way, you could lure the minions into his attacks, and would also have to dodge his attacks. Really, this is just an idea for an Event/Stage, but I like it.

Level 10
An artificial intelligence should exist. A sequencial thinking boss leaks defense somewhere in the sequence and sometimes will act dumbly. Many lines of script worth them when making an intelligent and unpredictable boss.

Also, unpredictable events should happen. A boss that steal your abilities for some time, or when you kill him he just severs himself apart and now you have got two of them. These are exciting in a boss-fight. They make you think "What the hell?!", "How am I going to get my abilities back?!", "How can I kill this crap?!". Play with the players' minds, put floating texts "SPELL STOLEN" and a demonic laugh of the boss, to get the despair of his enemies.

And your ideas are so true. I never thought about the voices. If I get any better today with my RPG's I blame it on you. :p

Level 12
I agree with all of those

Mine are similar THough less aestheticly pleasing :/

(You already said)1) Priority-Which Minion should you focus on there should be multiple minions and you should have to worry about each one for their own reason-one might have Bash, one might Have critical strike, One might have Feedback and destroy your mana, one might heal the boss. You got to make sure that your not letting the boss heal or have time to do what he wants while his minions are giving you a bit of trouble
(You already said)2) The periodic/Reaction time fears you must run away from
3) Aggressiveness-Who is attacking who? Whos curled up in the corner trying to get out? The boss or you? You need to position yourself so that you will not get trapped and have the ability to move around the boss.

Just some more thoughts. I want people to think about a bunch of different things when fighting a boss. As many as they can

Level 12
This should be a sticky
Its kind of Essential to any game with a Boss....

And Plenty of Boss's use them

Level 14
I wouldnt mind if it got stickied. All I want is to see more clever and intriging bossfights in the WC3 games. Most of the time when I play a game, a boss is just a guy that has 3.0 scaling value, extra health, extra damage, and one chat message when you attack him. I really want to rid that from the maps. So, as long as this thread gets read, im happy ^_^

~Asomath

Level 10
This has been kind of cross-covered in your thread starter but I think the most important thing about a well designed boss is theme. The boss should always mirror the theme of the area it is located in, including the less important foes along the way.

For example, if the dungeon terrain is located deep inside a volcano, with fire and lava flowing freely around rocky terrain, the boss should match this in some way. Being warcraft 3 the Firelord would be an obvious choice for this scenario.

Abilities then also follow the theme. It would be senseless to give the boss a healing ability just because you want him to have one to fit in with the game play, if you want him to heal then it should be adapted to his nature. Eg. for a boss made of fire and rock instead of just giving him a holy light to cast on himself, it would make more sense to have him venture back into some lava to regenerate health. This also adds new depth to the game play through the layout of the terrain and the behavioural patterns of the boss. Keep him too close to the lava and it will take him no time to return to the lava pit and regenerate hp... however if you draw him away from it there will be extra time to fit in more attacks as he wanders back to safety.

Another common thing in good boss fights is as a boss' health is decreased the attack pattern changes to a stronger and more varied one. Think of it as a sort of final surge of desperation. Normally they start with abilities that attack you head on, but as they are weakened and the pattern is changed they tend to move around a lot more performing wilder and more damaging aoe attacks. This forces the player to think and change their approach mid fight instead of repeating the same manoeuvres until the end.

When it comes to designing a boss, thinking deep about every detail from their location to their motive to even where they would choose to have dinner with a friend, as it can help you pinpoint what kind of behaviour would make your boss stand out.

Level 14
Alas, another Idea I could not grasp out of my head and put onto the text. This Idea is great, and it will be added. I will also add this to my tutorial, which brings me to my next thing...

If you enjoyned this thread and believed it was helpful, go to the following link. I want the walkthrough/tutorial to get approved so users can view it and create more interesting bossfights. I believe if I get some good replies to it, I may have slightly higher chance of getting it approved.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f283/creating-bossfight-94684/

Thank you for your time :)
~Asomath

Status
Not open for further replies.