• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phase Killer -1.1.2-

This version is optimized with Vexorian's Map Optimizer. If you need help with something in Phase Killer related to mapmaking, just ask me.

Phase Killer

• Multiplayer-Only - Technically it can be played with one player, but the game isn't exactly going to progress. It's impossible to write an AI for this kind of map with our current technology.

• Twelve Players - 6-12 players are recommended. Any less to start with degrades the quality of the game.

Premise

Stay alive and try to acquire better items over time if possible

Three Roles:

- Townsfolk - No special abilities other than having 6 item slots as opposed to the phasers' two. The one condition to win is to kill the Phase Killer. You can still win even as a ghost, but it becomes more difficult that way.

- Phasers - Half of the players in the game, rounding down, become Phasers. Phasers have the ability to Phase, which moves them to and fro the Aetherworld. Phasers are the most helpful for hunting down the Phase Killer, but ironically are the ones to be considered as the potential Phase Killer.

- Phase Killer - One of the Phasers in the game is the Phase Killer. The Phase Killer has the ability to phase, transform into his natural form at will (albeit with a slight negative health regeneration), disguise himself as a different player (changing his name and color, but not his pings), upgrade himself using collected souls, change his form/specialization at will, and use a handful of combat-related abilities.

Features

• Three Dimensions - There are three dimensions: the two standard ones, the normal world and the aetherworld, and the harsh hard-to-reach omniworld. There are several ways to go between the normal world and the aetherworld, but the most direct route is through the ability possessed by Phasers: phasing. The omniworld is reached through the omniworld gateway after it has been activated by a specific item combo.

• Chat System - The chat system is customized with interesting features that allow for more unique gameplay. Especially interesting is the auto-garbled speech that one may experience...

• Life after Death - If you die, you become a ghost. As a ghost, you can instantly phase between the dimensions and use a short-range teleportation ability. Ghosts also use mana to talk in two ways: short-range floating text or public chat (the latter of which is auto-garbled). Ghosts also have a chance at resurrection if someone manages to acquire Arcanum (good luck getting whoever has one to consume it by reviving you; it has a really good passive ability and is very tough to get).

• Items. Lots of Items. - The bread and butter of Phase Killer is in the items, which are spawned throughout the map on the ground. Some items are more common than others, others only appear in the Aetherworld, etc. However, the real depth to them is the combinations possible by, well, combining them by moving one item over another in your inventory. There are currently more combination-acquired item types than randomly-spawned item types.

• Good Reading - Somewhat of a tip of the hat to Wilderness Survival, every item combination (in some way or another) is depicted in the various books that can be found lying around the map. Some books are much harder to decipher than others, and one is even readable only in the aetherworld.

• Zombies - Players may be semi-revived as zombies, controlled by their masters and possibly even traded like slaves between players. Zombies have no inventory but are powerful in combat and can become human by consuming someone's corpse.

The above is basically a general consensus of Phase Killer, and by no means lists everything in the map. If you want to experience it, I suggest you play it.

The forums are at www.comclan.co.cc

Keywords:
Phase Killer, Phase, Killer, Wolf, Mystery, Murder, Dark, Revenant, Aether, World, Dimension, Omni, Multi, Zombie
Contents

Phase Killer -1.1.2- (Map)

Reviews
16:57, 26th Jul 2008 Septimus: Click Here for the review. Review.
Level 4
:spell_breaker:This map is unbelievable. Custom items, a great chat system, and fitting moonlight sonnata makes an amazing game. The balance seems to be right as well. I have been playing Phase Killer for some time now- and every game I find out a new item combination. How many combinations are there? So far I found 10. The feature of actually equipping what you pick up is great too. Parallel Universes/Worlds is an incredibly creative concept, though I have not reached the Omniworld yet.

But really Dark.Revenant great job.:aa:

5/5

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks a lot for the link. Wow, the items are amazing-wonder what each of them do:spell_breaker:.

Hmm, and Dark.Revenant are you planning to update Phase Killer further? Cause a blood vendor which switches from aether to normal and changes location would be kind of cool. The blood vendor would sell rare items at the cost of your health.

Also, I got this off comclan forums...

But, are you going to add that in?

Level 3
yeah map is good none the less revernt real good in fact. its od thou the omni world seems so......blank compared to the other realms i had this hopes that it would be like some twisted parody of both combind. oh and i love the merging thing that happens when you open the omni gate heh freaks noobs out somethin fierce

Level 5
When i play phase killer i just grab an axe and start cutting trees. the fun part is that it scares the other players and if they come to close i type "-go away" and repeat it every time they say something. But when they come to close i just cut them insted.

And once i was bored so i bower up all da trees on the map XD

Level 4
add more? do you have any idea how many combo there is? I suggest you check the vault.

Yea check vault if you really wanna ruin finding the 40 itemcombos urself lol. I tryed not to look - but eh...

Well, regarding the items- the ones I go for when im PK- actually happened yesterday- is Aegis Blade and heavy armor.

and maybe an arcane shield.

@chenlimin- ur on ROTG forums too right- same guy?

Level 4
I love this map, but when you finally get a game full , it's probably half filled with noobs , so you might add an option to set the game to noob mode as the host so noobs will have a higher chance to become townsfolk , it will be easier to learn the game for them and it will be more fun for the rest

Level 4
True enough bureaulamp- though I don't think Dark.Revenant is updating this anymore. Oh, and the music for this map is amazing, especially once you enter omniworld. It fits the map perfectly- this is going to be the first map I play since it's SUMMER AGAIN!!!!:spell_breaker: Probably the only map I play too... =)

Rating once again cause this map is epic!

5/5

Why is this not in director's cut?!:grin:

Level 4
The best part of the map is when you revive someone or Destroy the dimensions XD , btw i found out the projectile PK is the easiest to use and he can really kill people out of nowhere .. the wolf is great to put pressure on the group if you keep attacking with him ...

Havent found the good parts of the other 2 tho

Edit: Whats the point of the omnistaff, it seems to be really weak and I cant find any recipes for it ... And PLZ anyone here knows how to semi revive someone as a zombie ? what item do i need for it ? i can only heal normally -.-

Last edited:
Level 4
i actually ment how you created a zombie but well , after trying some things and looking at the recipe list .. i found it lol... thought the recipe was bugged but it was just a typo ... aegis sphere and XR vial dont combine rofl .. So i went reading all those books on the map and finally found out it was a typo so well its all solved..

But , cus of this problem I did start looking for an update and well .. 1.1.5 is already released , just for the people who dont know .. check their forums

Level 2
This map is really amazing. I played it for more than 7 hours and i never get tired of combining items, when i was Human or Phaser, and create confusion with the chat and color tricks when PK.

Truly, is an exellent map, but some people are not ready for this for one reason: it requires to think. Almost everyone in Argentina server CAN´T think, even a bit. I learn how to play reading the hints, and F9. Is really not hard, but man... just think a bit.

I´ll keep hosting your map till discover almost all the recipes for my own, thats the funny part.

Congrats from Argentina!

Level 11
Awesome map! :goblin_yeah:
Love it in every possible way as it binds every RPG element that exists and mixes up together in this awesome map
What i want to say is that this map got many RPG elements that i like,like the garbled ghost text,the item combination,the manuals and texts you find on the ground and so on...
Playing as a phase killer is so awesome btw,as you can change to another player's colour sending the other players into confusion :grin:...If played well you can make them kill each other :grin:
Also nice choice with Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata :)
Once again,i can say i love this map :goblin_good_job: 5/5 +rep :D

Level 9
What can i say...
This map is purely AMAZING. It is made entirely for the Role Playing and i think that such map deserves even more reputation than DotA (no offence to DotA lovers).

I want to say that this map combines all types of gameplay into one awesome game that binds the idea of a pre-made story (the killer who comes into the village) with the idea of making your own story, by being able to determine trough playing if the killer wins or not.

The item system is just amazing.... the riddles from the books made my heart just go into heaven because they sometimes even require philosophy which i love. The tales from them also produce mystery.

The chat system is something i have never saw... and makes the game-play just UNIQUE. Being able to "shout" for everybody to see... or "whisper" so that only those near would see the message. Also the way ghosts talk is also "realistic" and logical.

The background music (Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata) is EPIC. It just gives a tensioned and still calmed environment so that you have a clear head... and still worry about that would happen next.

The 2 dimension idea is MAGNIFICENT. It makes the map just lovely to play... because you always wonder what you might find... where you might go... just by phasing from one dimension to the other... you find other items... and many things that can help you to succeed or to find doom.

The idea of the monster killer that can disguise himself into any person makes the game hard, full of surprises so you never get bored. Also i can admit i am a master with the Stalker type Killer :) I just always kill all the other if i use that type.

Overall... this map would deserve an epic 15/5 (only if i could :( ) so... 5/5.
Thank You Dark.Revenant for making this map that has actually inspired me so much and i think is the only map i never get bored of :D.

Level 3
Hey Dark.Revenant

I was wondering where I can find players to play this map
Most of my friends didn't like it :(
So please if anyone wants to play this map add me on garena,
My nick is Death_lcnight, that's a lower case L :D
Thanks for reading
And oh,I gave you a 5/5 Rating ^_^ Thanks for the awesome map
And by the way ... that enchanted iron shield,can you make it self targetted ?

Level 3
The map itself is good , played it a lot of times.Very misteryous and full of strange things.Just a question and I need an answer:
You do know oftenly in the game an aetherstorm fits in.In that aetherstorm , there are thunders in each dimenstion(normal and aether) and there is very hard to know where they will hit.In the aetherstorm you can change dimensions witch is REALY emberesing.Yea well I tried to open Omniworld about 2-3 times , succeded evry time.Yea well i didn't kept the Omniworld opend for a big time , cuz always after I oppend them , the players get pissed off by the storm and kill each other:)).So I didn't realy spend more then 10 minutes With the omniworld's open but I know it's a total storm and some phrases start typing like:
-The opening of Omniworld will screw the other dimension
-The opening of Omniworld will bring doomsday
-The opening of Omnwiorld is shattering dimension , and stuff like that...
Back to my question , I heard that in the end , this Omni storm will screw all the map with thunders evrywhere and basicly no chance of surviving.Is it true?Have you died by the omnistorm?

Level 9
There is nothing named "omnistorm" unless you yourself give it that name. It is just a storm of great magnitudes that has chances of killing players. After a while all the dimensions collapse and basically all players remain blocked in the omniworld, with no phasing choice or anything, giving them the only option to fight the killer. The storm continues even after the collapse and so it is quite dangerous. I myself only died once in such a thing... but i saw that most noobs die in the storms because they can't evade too many things at once.

Level 20
There is nothing named "omnistorm" unless you yourself give it that name. It is just a storm of great magnitudes that has chances of killing players. After a while all the dimensions collapse and basically all players remain blocked in the omniworld, with no phasing choice or anything, giving them the only option to fight the killer. The storm continues even after the collapse and so it is quite dangerous. I myself only died once in such a thing... but i saw that most noobs die in the storms because they can't evade too many things at once.
I've never seen anyone dying in the storm caused by opening the gate to omniworld. As far as i know, the only thing that damages players are those black holes that have immolation, but those are quite weak.
Also storm doesn't continue after the collapse lol.

Level 11
Not sure this was ever addressed but weapon effects like the chain lightning from Ageis sword will stop working sporadically or at random.