• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phase Killer -1.1.2-

This version is optimized with Vexorian's Map Optimizer. If you need help with something in Phase Killer related to mapmaking, just ask me.

Phase Killer

• Multiplayer-Only - Technically it can be played with one player, but the game isn't exactly going to progress. It's impossible to write an AI for this kind of map with our current technology.

• Twelve Players - 6-12 players are recommended. Any less to start with degrades the quality of the game.

Premise

Stay alive and try to acquire better items over time if possible

Three Roles:

- Townsfolk - No special abilities other than having 6 item slots as opposed to the phasers' two. The one condition to win is to kill the Phase Killer. You can still win even as a ghost, but it becomes more difficult that way.

- Phasers - Half of the players in the game, rounding down, become Phasers. Phasers have the ability to Phase, which moves them to and fro the Aetherworld. Phasers are the most helpful for hunting down the Phase Killer, but ironically are the ones to be considered as the potential Phase Killer.

- Phase Killer - One of the Phasers in the game is the Phase Killer. The Phase Killer has the ability to phase, transform into his natural form at will (albeit with a slight negative health regeneration), disguise himself as a different player (changing his name and color, but not his pings), upgrade himself using collected souls, change his form/specialization at will, and use a handful of combat-related abilities.

Features

• Three Dimensions - There are three dimensions: the two standard ones, the normal world and the aetherworld, and the harsh hard-to-reach omniworld. There are several ways to go between the normal world and the aetherworld, but the most direct route is through the ability possessed by Phasers: phasing. The omniworld is reached through the omniworld gateway after it has been activated by a specific item combo.

• Chat System - The chat system is customized with interesting features that allow for more unique gameplay. Especially interesting is the auto-garbled speech that one may experience...

• Life after Death - If you die, you become a ghost. As a ghost, you can instantly phase between the dimensions and use a short-range teleportation ability. Ghosts also use mana to talk in two ways: short-range floating text or public chat (the latter of which is auto-garbled). Ghosts also have a chance at resurrection if someone manages to acquire Arcanum (good luck getting whoever has one to consume it by reviving you; it has a really good passive ability and is very tough to get).

• Items. Lots of Items. - The bread and butter of Phase Killer is in the items, which are spawned throughout the map on the ground. Some items are more common than others, others only appear in the Aetherworld, etc. However, the real depth to them is the combinations possible by, well, combining them by moving one item over another in your inventory. There are currently more combination-acquired item types than randomly-spawned item types.

• Good Reading - Somewhat of a tip of the hat to Wilderness Survival, every item combination (in some way or another) is depicted in the various books that can be found lying around the map. Some books are much harder to decipher than others, and one is even readable only in the aetherworld.

• Zombies - Players may be semi-revived as zombies, controlled by their masters and possibly even traded like slaves between players. Zombies have no inventory but are powerful in combat and can become human by consuming someone's corpse.

The above is basically a general consensus of Phase Killer, and by no means lists everything in the map. If you want to experience it, I suggest you play it.

The forums are at www.comclan.co.cc

Keywords:
Phase Killer, Phase, Killer, Wolf, Mystery, Murder, Dark, Revenant, Aether, World, Dimension, Omni, Multi, Zombie
Contents

Phase Killer -1.1.2- (Map)

Reviews
16:57, 26th Jul 2008 Septimus: Click Here for the review. Review.
Level 7
Out of power?! can't be I have 12 power at that time, can't find the change form thing on the command card somehow, seem to be replace by this " killer sight" . (don't joke with me I am never out of power, I was killing like hell everytime I am a killer) and in your change log I find out that 0.2.5 is not relesed, yet somehow some one has it and host it.

Level 1
This map is great fun, and I look forward to further updates. :D

Great game, keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Level 7
again, I got this unable to change form problem, stuck at the warrier form, the normal change form button is repalce by killer sight, if you want the replay tell me, and I am using verison 0.2.7b.

Last edited:
Level 2
OMG this game rocks but i never knew about the omni world till now!!!
9999999999999999/1 lol it rox

Level 4
I loved the map, but when the terrain got edited it caused me to lag even with the people I always played with. Now, sadly I stopped. But awesome job anyway.

hit

hit

Level 6
Très bonne map, même si l'inactivité du tueur pose parfois problème :/
J'ai testé deux fois, la première a duré beaucoup trop longtemps !
Et la seconde le tueur n'a rien fait et on a gagné, un peu frustrant...
Donc je met 3/5 (j'ai hésité 2/5) car la carte n'est pas nul, mais le système et le concept sont à revoir.

Level 13
Any game like this will be troubled by those kinds of things. If the killer sucks, make a phase cube, then use it to find him and kill him. If the person playing as the phase killer doesn't make a kill, he loses his disguising abilities and starts losing sight and hearing, eventually being forced into the killer mode. On the other hand, if he spends too long disguised or formed, he loses the ability to do those things.

Basically, an inactive killer is a very easy killer to kill. The game will probably repick it.

Level 13
Get me some item models for everything in the game, I dare you.

Also, I kinda ran out of slots on the Phase Killer unit, so I had to change the key for changing identities to the escape key. Sometimes it's useful to be able to change your identity while you're still in the phase killer form...

Level 4
Spamming phase shift to stay alive is a horribly exploited tactic...

You just say "hey killer over here" then keep shifting from world to world never letting the killer hurt you. The killer can't do anything since he has to keep shifting to keep up then risks going out of mana and being stuck in the normal world once caught...

At least a 5 second cooldown is in order. Every "good" phase shifter merely spammed this until people came over to the hunter.

Level 13
I usually make changes while on Battle.net and AIM so I can run the ideas by my friends and such. I couldn't make a complete changelog even if I tried.

Unfortunately, I lost my "changelog" containing various summaries of what each version does. I might just post comments here from now on.

Level 2
Its a nice map but pls give to quests what do we need to revive someone , to go to omni world and many others so that players dont have to think so hard One asks what is a enchanting stone and becose there isnt good help we cant revive and they will leave

Level 2
at least tell some things like the omniworld and those zombies for use. players would at least do something other then flying around slowly and chat , maybe give them mini game to become those zombies

Level 8
Well, for starters I'd love to see how the Aethero thingy works. And the skills. And the modified chat thingy. And so on.

By the way. it's a pretty complicated map, otherwise good though. And some of the tooltips on the skills I don't find very useful. I mean, it took me 5 minutes to work out the flow of the game.
I also agree with other people about items being hard to pick up, I mean who'd thought sitting corpses could be armours and stuff? Why noy just use the regular chest of gold model? Well, that's all for now.

4/5

Level 4
This map is really good compared to other killer map. New cool idea. Really like how you did the Aethero world and other things. I like it a lot.

However, I find it very complicated for other to play. If I play it with my friends would be fine as they know how everything works. If i play with stranger, that is where all the troubles come. Maybe you can add a help during that 3 minutes to help newbie. People will be asking things like "so what we do now? Where you get that armor?" etc.

Another problem is the combining items. I've played it tons of times but i still don't know how to make a phase cube.

And I also want to know how to become a zombie. I mean once you die.. you are basically nearly useless... you hardly can do anything rather than slow chat. At least give the ghost some power. Maybe able to open the portal for the human to go to the Aethero world.

Suggestion:
1. Make the recipe easier so that first timer can make phase cube when they are human.
2. In the ghost global chat, hide his name. Instead of putting his name, Maybe we can put Ghost 1, or ghost 2. This way, killer had the advantage of using the dead.
3. Make the ghost more useful. Either he can link the human into Aethero world and every sec he loses mana instead of the human, or maybe he can transform into a zombie for a few second or something like that.
4. Give the killer a fifth slot with the illusion item which is undroppable and unswapable. Why? In that way, the killer is able to create an illusion of his human form.
5. The killer need to have free camera control. Why? When you use illusion, he only can move somewhere within your range. That sux >.<

However overall is a good map. Nice idea 4/5 =)

Level 13
Phase cube? Seriously? It's a marble stone and an aether essence.
Zombies are made by using Soul Skull on a ghost. Soul Skull is made by combining a Phase Cube with an XR (not RX) Vial.

2. Is kinda pointless if ghosts can talk.

I'm not sure how to go about 1. I suppose I can just make it easier to figure recipes out or offer some kind of extra hints.

3.... Well, you're dead. What can I say? I suppose I can make it more interesting to be a ghost.

4. A bit tedious to do. Possible, but very tedious.

5. Camera control is used mainly because phasing would otherwise be very jarring and annoying because your camera would be instantly centered on your character. Not to mention changing it at this point would be frustrating.

Your suggestions do make a lot of sense, however. I'm glad you liked the map.

By the way, all of the combinations are listed in the forums if you register... See The Vault. I'll note this in a future PK version.

Level 4
Hmm.. ya i know we are dead >.< But like i said, maybe he can make human link to other world but every second he loses mana instead of that person. I think it is a good idea to do that.

And seriously.. hide the ghost name when he tries to talk using ".". This really can help the killer

And i tried to go to your forum but seems like the page not found. You change your forum link already?

Level 4
Gameplay: 3/5 The map is fun. Really fun. There is a killer, different dimensions, very very cool mood and some pretty originial features. But it also has basic flaws. The one big thing is, that there is no time limit. If the phase killer is afk or just slow the game can be pretty boring, since there is not that much to do. I just had a game with a newb killer. I knew after 2 minutes that it was dark green but that did not really helped. He was the spider and if we sticked together he would just hide in some corner and if we spread out and find him he would flee and hide again. It ended in no townsfolk killed but all leaving. I would recommend that the phase killer starts with a fixed limit of power and when this is reduced to zero he dies. That would fasten up the gameplay.
Also if you die and become a ghost the game becomes pretty boring for you. There is not much to do besides speaking unclearly and flying somewhat slow. I would recommend that you add something to the being-dead aspect of the game.

Level Design: 4/5 The map is very well designed. It is atmospheric and not too big. The aether dimension with the blue flames and destroyed things is especially cool. I just think that the flavor is a bit lost with such normal things like swords and cigarets lying around in this mystic dimension. In my opinion that does not fit and kills the mood a bit.

Sound/Models/Effects: 5/5 The music is perfect for the map. Also the darkness of the whole thing and the beforementioned blue fires are very flavorful. Nothing to critizise here.

Heros/Units: 4/5 No major flaws here. The townsfolk and the phasers are well done but pretty basic. The shining point is the phase killer who has very cool abilities. But personally I think that there should be differences between normal townsfolk and "blessed" phasers than just 2 inventory slots.

Replayability: 3/5 Well the random aspect makes the game quite nice. But when you played it a while it also becomes boring. If you are not the phase killer but often townsfolk or phaser the map is mostly the same. More events or a save/load code that would give you access to cool features when you play it often would be cool.

Balance & Bugs: 4/5 The game is nearly bugfree. Just the materialize ability of the ghost is bugged since it always states to take you to the real world no matter if you are already there. Well and balance .. I think the killer is a bit too powerful, at least if he can outrun everybody. But maybe this is more a question of the gameplay as I wrote above. I give you a 4/5 here.

Final Score: 23/30 = 4/5

Well maybe the best "Who is the killer" map out there. But seeing the general flaws of the map it is just funny for one match a day or so. At least when I host it I never get asked to open a remake.

Level 7
afk? slow the game? killer have this blood withdraw thing, he can't go long without killing. Also there's many ways to find the killer if his being retard, there's this thing call elix of life (not sure about it's spelling), which hurts killer and heals other, and phase cube, and some other.

Level 13
No, I agree with Gurkengelee more. This map needs some balancing but I haven't had the will to get around to it. I've mostly just stopped modding for wc3 - what's the point if sc2 is around the corner and it takes so much energy to make a quality map these days?

Anyway, I have several ideas for sc2 maps. You will probably see one of them roughly a month after its release.

My honest bet is that sc2 is going to go gold sometime in the former half of April and be released early-mid May. The beta is practically later this month iirc.

Edit: I made many changes and am testing them.

Last edited:
Level 3
realy liked the map reverent but it seems kinda impossible to win if the killer uses the ghost form also mabey you could put some kinda of NPCs in htere that are allyed to humans so that killer cant rampage early game ya know like a town guard that can take a low leveld phaser(or make em em small patrol to do so) but make em pretty much dead meat mid to late game when and if they fight a killer?

Level 1
May I suggest adding a change log? It would be nice to see what has been added/removed/fixed from version to version.

Level 13
realy liked the map reverent but it seems kinda impossible to win if the killer uses the ghost form also mabey you could put some kinda of NPCs in htere that are allyed to humans so that killer cant rampage early game ya know like a town guard that can take a low leveld phaser(or make em em small patrol to do so) but make em pretty much dead meat mid to late game when and if they fight a killer?

Please note that the Revenant form (the ghost thing) is extremely slow in the normal world (and not to mention doesn't have very much hp). Don't fight it in the aetherworld or you're going to die. However, a couple of people with impeders in the normal world would absolutely murder it.

Level 3
hmm i see your point however getting the others to work with you(assuming your not killer and know who it is) is a joke sometimes ya know? :p ah and i wanted to ask why is it that the item randomizer is so damned sporatic?? ive done sevral games in a row where nothing but beer and bandages spawn >.< you should add like a minimum trigg for the randomizer so it spanws a minimum of X item that way there is atleast 1 of each type of item out there or something like that

Level 11
Rated 4/5 because PhaseKillers Name/Color change hotkey was ESC. It sucks hard, cause you cant cancel channelling ect. spells with esc. And you need to click with mouse to close spell books. I just played it and lost ~4 power points because of stupid ESC hotkey. Just give him ability what to click in order to change color... Wont play / host this untill that hotkey is changed.

Thats retarded reason to give 4 out of 5...

Level 3
ok i found a realy obnoxious bug it seems that if the phase killer is hit with a perfect phase sphere in the normal plain he will have the hp degain in the aether relm! now im not too sure about you guys but to me that is a massive pain in the ass since i thought he was only suposed to have a hp degain in the normal plain, also i noticed that when you shift from your PK form to your "normal" form the color on the unit will cycle thru all the colors instead of remaining just 1 and that is a dead give away for the pk ya know?

Level 3
well gee isnt HP degain in the PK's HOME REALM fun! >.< could you atleast disable degain but leave it unable to passively regain in the aether realm??