• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Phantasy Star on Warcraft (psocraft?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
The map I want to make will be a loose adaption of the game "Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2".

For those who haven't played the game, PSO is an old school hack and slash RPG from early 2000. It featured a sci-fi setting, real time combat with a primitive combo system, and instanced group play up to 4 players (not open world like WoW). I don't want to spend forever talking about it, so I'd encourage looking up the game on Youtube if you are unfamiliar to get a better idea of it.

In any case, I wanted to make this like 7 years ago when I joined thehelper.net and learned more about mapping. Well it was coming along pretty well but unfortunately my drive got bricked and lost everything. I was considering redoing it on the Galaxy Editor for Starcraft II but never got around to it.

I recently came back to Warcraft 3 for nostalgia reasons and was surprised to see the scene still relatively intact despite the years...and new maps being made. One of the more recent ones I played was Monter by n00b, which featured a combat system that I realized with a little modification would work quite well for the game. I've been pretty bitter about losing the progress I had eons ago, and seeing that gave me a spark to check off this bucket list item. I was really enjoying seeing it come to life before my drive got axed... I really hate to see the idea totally die without giving it another shot.

As much as I had enjoyed PSO as a kid, the game is quite dated now. There have been two big sequels in the franchise - Phantasy Star Universe and PSO2. Emulating those games would take too much time, but that said I'd like to barrow some of the new mechanics they introduced to add more depth and improve pacing. Namely some sort of variant of special moves called "Photon Arts" to add more combat options and variety to the cookie cutter combat of the original.

There is a HD project all be it quite slowly being developed on Unity...but my motivation really is to finish something I started a while ago within this game. I also just find that Warcraft 3 engine has a timeless charm to it despite its flaws and want to have fun pushing it and reliving a modernized polished experience of PSO within Warcraft 3. I can't really enjoy the original much anymore, but I believe with enough work I can totally overhaul it and create something that offers a refreshing new experience but still in its old image and likeness.

So I need help with the following/general questions -

1. What third party programs I need to help make the map. I downloaded Sharpcraft + WEX package but I'm sure there are others that can be recommended (n00b told me about bribe's unit indexer)
2. Need help ripping the models and importing them into the game (and making stuff from scratch), as well as a modern primer/tutorials on modeling/animating/textures specifically for wc3.
3. Creating spells - My old system was to create dummy units and manipulating them like having them casts abilities on each other which I'm sure is probably a far cry from how it ought to be done.
4. Third person camera and WASD movement... I'm actually thinking I want to stick with isometric view because I prefer that type of feel from years of playing that way. Warcraft 3 also just doesn't seem to take well to that type of look.
5. General RPG tools - save/load, bag with ample storage, advanced damage control system, creating a gauntlet legends like familiar unit that follows you around and can be upgraded
6. Hardcore Mode (death renders save file invalid and character doesn't revive)? How would I go about creating this
7. How much can the UI be modified?

In any case just felt like putting it out there that I've just started working on it and I'm looking for others to help with it and possibly a mentor throughout the process I can bother once in a while.

The main aim is to retain the feel/nostalgia but vastly improve pretty much every aspect that can be... I'm not a purist whatsoever. The pacing needs to be much faster, challenging, more depth and customization, more equipment slots, fun quests, etc.

Anyway, thanks for reading! I'm glad to be back having fun with Warcraft 3 again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.