• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Path of Shadow: An Extention for Warcraft III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Path of Shadow

What is Path of Shadow?
Path of shadow is basicly an expansion to Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

What!? As in a new mpq (that basicly violates the Lua)? New tilesets, new heroes, new everything?
Eeeh...No. At least, not yet. The project is still in a VERY alpha phase, and I only dare turn the project into an ACTUAL expansion set when I am able to do so without any outside help (Its basicly a challenge of my skills, that are abysmally low at the moment) and, more importantly, when its already worth it.

Boo! What are you exactly talking about then?
Exactly what the title sais: an Extention of W3:TFT. This means enhancing the melee gameplay in a way that actually more or less fit into the already established style, lore, and gameplay.

How do you plan on doing this?
One word: Factionization. I plan on making every race have factions. When you play one of these factions are selected by the first hero you create.

What is a faction good for?
Once you choose your faction, your workers are able to build that faction's building. Every faction has some uniqe upgrades and units that change the overall gameplay of that race.

For example?
Well, for instance, if you choose the paladin as your first hero, your peasants get to build the Shire of Light, that holds the Tier "4" research of the priests (That gives them Spirit Form {After the priest dies, it is ressurected as a holy spirit, healing those around him for a few seconds, before dieing again}), the Crusader upgrade, that exhanges your Knights for Crusaders (That have two uniqe abilites, Flash of Light, and Charge), and can create a new unit, the inquisitor, that has his own packet of spells.

And thats only ONE faction!

Wait a second... That means 16 factions! How can anyone balance that properly!?
Actually, it means 24 heroes, because you can buy natural heroes as the first hero if there's a tavern on the map...
As for balace, I hope, with help from you guys, I'll be able to hit the jackpot and get it done before V1.0...

So... it's a costum map? I still dont get it!
Path of Shadow is basicly an enhanced warcraft III melee game system. It will come in two portions as long as it isnt an actuall expansion: The Costum Unit Data, and the Triggers, all bundled together in a sample map or a zip file, that anyone can import into any other map.

After you're done with every faction, and they work balanced... what then?
Thats the time when I'll start working on making this an actual expansion! But dont worry, there is still PLENTY of time before that :p.
But, should it happen, I plan on actually setting up a new campagin that plays between Wc3 and WoW, change the UI so you can choose your faction after you choose your race, and then maybe set up a server or two for this to work in.

Holy Smokes! I looked at some of your previous work, and you use the GUI in every one of them! Do you mean to tell me that you're a GUI-er, and you plan on actually FINISHING this!? N00B!
Well, I wont deny that I still use GUI. Infact, as far as my maps go, I never really needed anything else then the GUI. But I'm learning it. I really am. The thing is that unitl I can use it properly, I'll stick to methods I've always known...

So that means, even if it DOES become an Expansion, there wont be any new tools/strings/ect, like in, for example WarSoc?
Listen, if I'll be able to learn how to do that, and it is actually usefull, we might touch up on the World Editor. But only, and ONLY if we're able to turn this into an expansion, good and proper.
As for graphical content, new tilesets and such are all in the bag.

So this is what you plan. Well, good for you, m8, but who cares? Why did you make this thread? Its not done, you cant even boast about your so-called "system" yet!
Well, to put it frankly, I wanted to ask the help of you guys. If we work together it could be done much quicker (Not to mention that until I cant Jass, its always good to have someone close by who can)!
Other then that, I want to use this thread as a feedback depositry, both on the idea, and the samples I'll post up here once anything presentable shows up.

I'm interested in your project, what job may I take?
Listen, if you feel like you can contribute to this project, just write a PM, or post here what you can do, and I'm sure we'll find a spot that you can take...
At the moment, I'd welcome anyone with open arms.

So... Techtrees?
Maybe later. It would take a lifeage to put the current techtree ideas into the comp, and still make it presentable, nto just a jumble of text.
When I have the time, I'll go and do it, then post it here.

Thanks for listening, you've been a great audience!
If you have any questions, ideas, insights, ect(...), dont be afraid to post 'em here!

Completion
Concept:90%
Triggers:10%
Units:5%
As a whole:7%

Deloctyte, signing out!

Edit 1:Well, the first race(Humans) is more or less complete, so here it is!
I'd need some feedback mainly on gameplay and such, since costum models and skins will come after the four races are completed!

Attachments

• (4)[PoS]Goldshire.w3x
    201 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.