• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Path of Exile Open Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
No, it's been called the spiritual succesor of diablo 2. It's an action rpg.

The passive skilltree is so huge they also call it a skill forest.
The graphics are basically just diablo 2 in hd.
Abilities are aquired by looting gems and socketing them in items.
You have to login but there are actually public places where you can invite people to your party and whatnot so it serves more of a purpose.
And it will always be free and not be pay to win. You can only pay for cosmetics and other fancy stuff, so in that sense every high level special item becomes totally genuine.
But they dont use a gold system they use something with orbs to trade with merchants, it's alot more based on monster drops that way.

Level 34
I played the game for a while, but there just isn't enough skills, especially for elemental mages, and only a handful of the ones they have I like. I might play the game once it's released, but I quit the beta (I'm in the beta, not just free weekends).

The trading system is pretty cool, and the passive skill tree is what really makes the game. Shame about the skills though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Its a pay to win style game incase you did not realise. Extra stash space, different (better?) passives and even stash space for advertising trade items all require you to pay. I am prety sure other more effective benifits will also come after release that require paying.

Level 27
How does buying extra char slots and stash tabs improve your charachter? You initially already have 5 tabs and an even amount of char slots. The rest you can buy is pets, item effects, alternate skill effects, animations and design your own unique item feature (for a whopping 1000 whatever currency). I suggest you just login and take a look at the shop yourself or maybe you've already done that but did not read anything.

Diablo 3 is a 100 times more pay to win than this with it's real-money auction house. Let alone the gold auction house.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
item effects
Read "better item effects".

alternate skill effects
Read "better skill effects".

unique item feature (for a whopping 1000 whatever currency).
Which is beyond a doubt going to be better than most.

Diablo 3 is a 100 times more pay to win than this with it's real-money auction house. Let alone the gold auction house.
Not true. All the items in Diablo III auction houses are found by players. Statisticly it might be improbable that you would ever get such an item without paying for it but in reality it is still possible that anyone who plays could find equal or better items at any time. This is different from the PoE model where they out right deny you something unless you pay.

Specificly advertiseing item slots give a major advantage in trying to sell over people without them. And this is just one example.

Frankly, after seeing how many people payed for the delux 1,000 package, I am seriously thinking of starting my own "microtransaction" game.

Level 27
Djeez what? Do you know what an effect is? as in SFX? Special Effect? Visual Effect? Enhanced Graphics?

The 1000 euro for designing your own item in the game is done in collaboration with the developer and you will NOT receive it in your inventory it will merely be put into the game so it can drop from a monster. I don't know who would only pay for this because the chance seems so small that you would actually acquire the item you designed yourself but whatever if that makes people happy.

And so what if the items in the diablo AH all are found by players they are still being sold for real money to people that might not want to go through the trouble of playing the game themselves. Path of Exile does not even HAVE money, and if people decide to sell accounts then fine i don't know what GGG thinks about that. Personally i thinks its to great a risk to transfer your money to some stranger to buy an account on a free to play game for a bunch of chars that are level 60 and have uber gear. They could easily screw you over.\

And did you even play the game? If so how can you not like it as you seem to be enjoying diablo 3 so much (a little too much in my opinion xD)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Djeez what? Do you know what an effect is? as in SFX? Special Effect? Visual Effect? Enhanced Graphics?
They have recently changed their site.

Before it used to say "alternative passives" as one of the buyable items, clearly this is NYI or removed.

And so what if the items in the diablo AH all are found by players they are still being sold for real money to people that might not want to go through the trouble of playing the game themselves. Path of Exile does not even HAVE money, and if people decide to sell accounts then fine i don't know what GGG thinks about that. Personally i thinks its to great a risk to transfer your money to some stranger to buy an account on a free to play game for a bunch of chars that are level 60 and have uber gear. They could easily screw you over.\
Diablo III provides one with a safe way to trade. If games like it do not have one, then unsafe ways to trade spring up.

And did you even play the game? If so how can you not like it as you seem to be enjoying diablo 3 so much (a little too much in my opinion xD)
I try and stick away from micro transaction games. They are notorious for screwing one over, if not at release but soon after.

Level 27
Well it's up to you if you really want to pay anything, to be honest i also have no idea how they want to get the servers running with a free to play game with microtransactions but as you said there seem to be quite a lot more diamond supporters than one might think and all those people supported them with 1000 dollars.

You should really try it, there is no reason to just skip a free game and not see if you like it if you are in doubt wether you will. The game itself is about challenge, the first difficulty in the game is already harder than either diablo 3 or torchlight and every skill actually feels like it is not just a fancy thing but they actually work and do what they are meant to do. Also there is a tremendous amount of charachter builds possible with the gem system, skill tree and item drop system combined in comparison to the other two games I mentioned. If you don't like it then do not play it but you can try it for FREE and play for free as long as you dont purchase any cosmetics.

Level 34
I still go with my last post. I hate the skills in the game. I'm not totally sure, but it just feels like there aren't enough of them. D3 and Torchlight 2 (best loot-RPG right now imo), have way more, or at least it feels that way.

The passive skill tree is awesome. It makes the game, and it's why I donated $10 to play in the closed beta.

The skill system is meh. Having to try and get just the right armor to keep all your skills is a huge pain in the ass, and I don't like it. The only bright side is the augmentation gems. I like that idea, but I'd vote they use some other system than socketed armor to get and change skills.

Level 27
I used to play Shadow in the closed beta, played through the two acts until level 30. Now i play a Duelist and I am currently level 10 or something and i've seen like 4-5 skills i've never heard of when i played the other class. So i don't know what you're talking about maybe they added some skills or whatever. They at least added a whole bunch of stuff in the last update so...

And when you pick up a similar gem to the one you already have it could have different item effects or a higher quality, I cannot imagne torchlight 2 goes deeper into customization than Path of Exile. You can even find maps...

Level 34
And when you pick up a similar gem to the one you already have it could have different item effects or a higher quality, I cannot imagne torchlight 2 goes deeper into customization than Path of Exile. You can even find maps...
As I said, the customization with the passive tree is huge and awesome. The skills are lacking in my opinion. Not sure about actual numbers, but I know that mages for example have it awful. There are like 2 or 3 fire and electric spells, while there are about 5 or 6 frost (rough estimations from memory). They never updated the spells from what I can tell.

Level 27
As I said, the customization with the passive tree is huge and awesome. The skills are lacking in my opinion. Not sure about actual numbers, but I know that mages for example have it awful. There are like 2 or 3 fire and electric spells, while there are about 5 or 6 frost (rough estimations from memory). They never updated the spells from what I can tell.

Well then the excuse for it being open beta still stands i guess, in that sense you cannot compare it to diablo 3 because that is an already fully developed game.

Level 34
Well then the excuse for it being open beta still stands i guess, in that sense you cannot compare it to diablo 3 because that is an already fully developed game.
I'm doubtful that they will be adding many spells now that it's open beta. Oh well, I'm still playing it with my friends.

Level 27
I do believe it's a bit OP but i am not sure, the 50% mana thing has already been removed and the only thing he is immune from is chaos damage. In the temple thing he is fighting in there are alot of constructs that do chaos damage so they are showing this off in the right spot.

And he is level 72, i am not sure you can go higher but i do know the highest enemy level right now is 69 so i guess he is pretty much at max everything. You shouldn't really expect things to be very hard anymore when you are so maxed out as him. But I just think it's a good example of what kind of build are possible, i don't think this one is not entirely possible anymore or at least less strong in its current state.

Level 34
Apparently summoner builds are suffering similar problems to Diablo III on release, where they struggle endgame. I remember in Diablo II where the necromancer was the easiest class (if not only class) that could complete Hell naked.
It used to be crazy OP (I tried it in early closed beta), I guess they nerfed it too hard. Still, seems like it would be viable just because you get an insane amount of summons end-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.