1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Patch 1.1 (unreleased)

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by mrzwach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just recently announced on the SC2 site.

This is going to be the first patch with features and balance changes, so yay!

A few key notes from the article:

Battlecruiser damage nerf is interesting, didn't see that one coming.

Also, since most of you probably don't care much about melee anyways, you should be excited to know that Patch 1.1 will be containing various other awesome things for modders.
    Patch 1.1 will supposedly come out in mid-September ish. Going to be interesting.

On a side note, chat channels will be coming sometime after Patch 1.1, :D

Read about it here.

2. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Siege tank nerf is a bit overkill. They are now weaker and more expensive than in BW against units which on average are tougher.

3. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    nVidia 3d vision, woo!

Gotta love these features a very very small percentage of the market is going to use. Does it remind no one else of a certain something that people whined about?

Meanwhile, no clans.

This concludes my whining.

BC nerf, ultralisk nerf seem random and sad.

Rest is good and I approve. Maybe 6 pooling will be much more viable? I'll be sure to test that.

4. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    And here I thought the siege tank was getting weak enough, at this point its probably better to leave it unsieged if thats whats going down in this new patch.

5. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ultralisk nerf seems random?

Do you, like, play XvZ? Or watch it? Or notice that the Ultralisk has the highest DPS of any unit or spell in the game (higher than psi storm!) considering its splash, and is the most life-efficient unit in the game, and is immune to forcefield, stuns, slows, and mind control? I feel like an AoE nerf would be more relevant than a damage nerf though.

Also, keep in mind that units are more life-efficient than in BW (in general), and siege tanks now are strictly worse than in BW while in siege mode (cost more gas, cost more supply, deal less damage to armoured, deal less damage to "medium" (ie psionic), deal same damage to light).

6. Rispetto

Rispetto

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Though all your statistics may be true, 4-5 siege tanks can f---ck up a lot of s--t. Terran turtles can get real ugly if you're strictly ground units, and don't have any medis.

Basically: I think this is good.

7. Diablo-dk

Diablo-dk

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome changes. The reaper nerf will hopefully shut down the 5 rax reaper openings, and Hydralisks might make a comeback in TvZ now that tanks don't 2 shot them.

The zealot nerf also seems justified. A lot of top-tier players were complaining that 2-gate early pressure was too powerfull, and this change should also make 4-gate all-ins slightly weaker. I'm a little worried about whether it will make them too vulnerable to zerg early game, but i don't think it's very likely.

Ultralisk change is cool aswell. I'm not sure whether i would say they've been buffed or nerfed. the -5 damage to armored will just make them eat through stuff a little slower. The removal of the head-butt attack on buildings however, is a pretty significant buff. Now that they deal splash damage when attacking buildings, it will be a lot easier to break planetary fortresses surrounded by scvs, since they'll also be damaging the scvs when attacing the fortress.

It is true that their damage is worse and cost higher, but their AI is miles better than it was in broodwar. If an army comes marching towards 8 tanks in BW, all the tanks would shoot at the units in the front, essentially wasting a lot of shots. In SC2 the tanks don't shoot synchronized, so they would spread all their shots out evenly instead of them all wasting their shots on a single zergling. Also, the siege tanks in SC2 have a faster attack rate.

I'm sure tanks will stay viable. The only real difference will be that hydralisks won't melt to tanks as much, and chargelots will start posing a threat to tanks. This might make terrans mix in more hellions, which isn't a bad thing.

8. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So basically Siege Tanks are overpowered if you don't try to counter them?

5rax reaper needs a nerf, but it should be a viable opening. After all, it's the only viable use of Reapers these days. As for hydralisks, they're already used against Ultralisks (late game) or Roaches (against bio or Hellion/Thor).

People are acting as if it will be the end of the world if a 6pool kills one probe on a small map and forgetting that the Zerg has to cut around 8 drones.

Every SC2 unit has better targeting; this is not unique to tanks.

Chargelots do pose a threat to tanks (this change only makes tanks need one more hit anyways), and Hydralisks are viable (vs tank-light builds; Terran don't have infinite gas, you know). I'm sure that Tanks will stay viable, but I fear that they might be getting pushed into a more niche role. They already got reduced from 60 to 50 to deal with their interaction with light units and totally ignored the effect this had against armoured units, and now even though they are nerfing their vs light again they aren't even giving back that 10 against armoured. We'll have to see how it plays out, but I think they are overreacting.

--

Anyhow, more importantly, that battlecruiser nerf was just a big "what?", and even the traditionally whiny Protoss and Zerg players over on Reddit seem to agree (that's not to say that they are all whiny, but that the ones that are whiny agree).

9. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I sincerely dont give a slight shit over these balances. In fact, I dont care what they do with this game, I was clear what was needed. I won't comment changes/issues in forums anymore. End of transmission.

10. Rispetto

Rispetto

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yup. They can overpower you, and if they have a higher ground with a blocked off access way (such as a choke) then there is no way in hell your ground units stand a chance against them (turtle).

As for BC nerfs? Pfft, IMO they sucked ass anyways. They cost too much money and take too long to create. Toss have photon boost, terrans have.. what.. mass starports?

Anyways.. 10v10 BC vs Carrier, Carrier wins.

11. BoneBreaker

BoneBreaker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Let me guess, you don't get vikings?

12. Rispetto

Rispetto

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If I do, they're generally too busy to waste time with tanks -.-

13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uh, Battlecruisers smash Carriers like nobody's business, not sure what you're talking about.

As for someone who is turtling, have you ever heard of air units? Or mass expanding? You don't even need to be cost efficient against a turtle when you are on 5-10x the bases.

14. Rispetto

Rispetto

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well obviously there are counters to basing, I never said there were.
    What I meant was early game turtling (an area past a second expo, not the choke) can lead to success often in ?vT matches, considering the only units able to be easily mass produced by the time you need to make a strike (ignoring a rush) are ground units.

Also, BCvsCarrier..? Nah. I was in a match the other day, 2/2 upgrades vs 1/1 carriers.. he had a mothership. Yomato the mothership down and use the rest on carriers, BCs still lost. I think it was like .. 4-5 carriers vs my 5-6 BCs + their mothership? Pretty evenly balanced fight. The mothership died pretty fast.

15. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well I don't know what you were doing to lose that fight, but I have some bad news for you (also, his force was significantly more expensive than yours).

As for turtling, uh, how are you supposed to turtle past your natural? Maybe on steppes where you can take your third, but even so they can take an extra four bases if you do (and steppes is pretty broken anyways). I really don't understand how you are having an issue with this.

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Remember that someone who turtles can not win the game. They will have to attack you at some stage in order to win. Thus all you need to do is make sure you have an army capable of killing theirs so when they do come at you, they get well and truely messed.

If you have extra resources, you can try to raid them to keep them on their toes. But what ever you do, do not let your army fall to such a size they can just come and bulldoze you.

17. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Seeing how apparently Ultralisk's need nerf, I'm going to incorporate them in my stratagy ASAP before 1.1 comes out.

18. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They are getting a nerf because the other races are getting nerfs, so it stays "balanced"

19. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, they are getting a nerf because they are overpowered.

20. Ghost765

Ghost765

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    zealots is the mainstay unit of the protoss, and the siege tanks is a unit you almost always see when playing against terran. the ultralisk, not so much.