• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[PASSIVE] Split Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey guys, I just played DotA Imba and one of the heroes (Gorgon, Medusa) has a spell called split shot, it's a passive that splits your shot, but deals reduced damage to enemies hit by the extra arrows. Of course, you're thinking, it's the Barrage spell, but this split shot works with attack modifiers, such as lifesteal. so i'm guessing it's triggered, anyone know how to trigger such a spell?

Level 20
I was thinkin it was a common Barrage, but then I remembered Flak Cannon from Gyrocopter. That's barrage since doesn't allow Orb effect and deals fixed damage. Medusa multishot deals % damage and allows orb effects.

I can't think of a way to achieve it other than creating 3 dummies and ordering to attack a different random unit from around Medusa (different than Medusa's target) and set the damage of those dummies = to the % of medusa's damage... But I don't know how to track damage.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
Damage detection system is a system for after the damage is dealt, not before.
The other way to detect it is to use the 1 line of jass code or whatever it is which I dunno how xD

@gorillabull, it's not the point if it affects on just 1 target. It should affect all targets it attacks, which cannot be done by simple object editor.

Flak cannons doesn't work?

Vunjo said:
@gorillabull, it's not the point if it affects on just 1 target. It should affect all targets it attacks, which cannot be done by simple object editor.

-Nope, Medusa's split shot only does orb effect on the first target... try it with using items like Eye of Skadi, only the main target will get the slow... even the official tips tell you that...

so since the OP only wants the DotA split shot, it will be sufficient...

and I think the method to do this have already been discussed in some thread...

and flak cannon (The wc3 original ability not the DotA flak cannon) deals AOE damage... Split shot allows you to attack multiple targets... Two different things...

Barrage works. You just need to make it activation/desactivation spell. I suggest you taking immolation, removing mana costs and effects. WIth triggers, detect when the unit Active the spell and add to your unit the barrage spell in a disabled spellbook (to hide the icon if you want, if not simply add the barrage ability). Detect when the unit Desactive the spell and remove the barrage spell from the unit.

Now, for the damage reduction thing, you'll need to use a damage detection system such as the Bribe's or the Weep's ones.

Level 4
Yes, it's not counted as orb effects. But there are some incompatibility problems, for example with Bash, when the bash triggers, only the principal attack will trigger.

yeah, i know that. like if i have lifesteal, it'll only lifesteal from my primary target. not the rest.. :/

i guess this spell is too damn hard to code. thanks anyways for the ideas guys!

Level 20
There's nothing hard to code. Detect the damage dealt by the unit with the ability and heal 25% of that damage to the target unit.

That would be buggy if the unit's max health is < 100% damage but > 75% damage... because if we only deal 75% damage, the unit should be alive, but since we use a healing technique, and since we cannot heal > maxhealth, he would still die...

That is the problem with Heal based damaged nullification systems, you cannot nullify an attack if the damage is greater than your max health...

You can actually use a 0.0 sec timer so that the heal will run after the damage is dealt, the unit will live but it will still run any DEATH events satisfied by the unit... [or at least it was the behavior years ago]

Level 11
There's nothing hard to code. Detect the damage dealt by the unit with the ability and heal 25% of that damage to the target unit.

It would be hard to code for multiple orb effects. You'd need to apply slow, armor reduction, chain lightning, mana burn, etc. to every unit hit, not to mention varying levels of lifesteal. And you'd also have to trigger the damage of the mana burn/chain lightning orbs, otherwise their damage would be detected by the damage detection system and have a chance to trigger their effect twice.

It would be hard to code for multiple orb effects. You'd need to apply slow, armor reduction, chain lightning, mana burn, etc. to every unit hit, not to mention varying levels of lifesteal. And you'd also have to trigger the damage of the mana burn/chain lightning orbs, otherwise their damage would be detected by the damage detection system and have a chance to trigger their effect twice.
Or you simply use a dummy system ^^

If dummys who have same damages, items, spells, etc... attack, it will be same than a normal attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.