• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Over the Hills Episode 1

210613-albums6110-picture65434.png

Map Info

Firs I would like to make some things clear!
My current life style doesn't permit me much free time. I am now a family man and have decided to quit modding for good, so this will be my last and final project ("the final chapter", "the final answer" to my love, a true art form of my heart). This means I won`t do any more Requests! I might also upload all my resources on this site, give away all my maps which are “collecting dust” like ASIAN GARDEN, etc…, I will grant permission to any hiver to take over my projects but I won't promis anything. Also I salute every person I collaborated with for the last time, IT WAS A PLEASURE!
I may do some terrains from time to time but afterwards I`m Gone for good!

" To all the people reading this. Live your lives from the heart, be the maximum of all you can be!"
" On this project I promise you my best efforts!"

Map also contains this information.

--- THE STORY ---

"This is the first episode of what I hope will be a short cinematic series made in Warcraft III.
My very first Cinematic."

* I hope this story will shine in
* your hearts, in this moment in
* time. It`s a reflection of my
* innermost feelings, the interior
* of my struggles and desires
* and also of the innermost
* chambers of my darkness.

"The inspirations came when I first spotted a cinematic music viedo on The Hive Workshop called "The Night Wish" by
"DST", then it hit me, the inspirations to make one also."

--- THE MAP ---

"Contains HQ models and textures, some made by me for example: some doodads, rocks, terrains (mountains, etc), efex,
scene montages, backgrounds, houses and other objects made in 3ds MAX5; wow or wc3 models with enhanced
textures; modified or enhanced wow textures, textures made entirely by me or textures form free texture sites (you can
finde this textures on any free texture site out ther) and also some free model trees.
I would appreciate it if the moderators could just accept the whole map as a full approved model library if not I encourage
any hiver out there to submitt the models for me but just remember to give me credits for them, that`s all!
The skins for the main character (villager model), the bad guy (villager model), the female (villager mode - red dressl) are
all my personal creation.
The trigger... are, just the usual "vegetables". OK, I have no Jass knowledge whatsoever!
That aside I think I will try learning Jass and use some cool systems so expect to see characters jumping over
mountains or destroying walls and some never before seen fighting scenes in the second episode.
The cameras are regular native cams with simple linear motion however, this will change from the nex episode."

--- THE BUGS ---

"Here is a list of bugs you might experience:"
*1 Buggy scene transmissions. "(this is caused because of wc3`s slow response, could have fixed this butI won't bother!
Don't hate me!)
Ps - Just let me make the next episode better!"
*2 Trees appear in the background (sky). "(No excuse here!)"
*3 Buggy sky.
*4 Characters do what they want. "(Units might wake up from the dead or go to random positions. Believe it or not this is caused
by the" -'wait'- "action", "can't do anything about it!)"
*5 [*] 'THE MOST SINFUL BUG OF ALL' [*]
The camera sways differently on a different resolution. "(I did not realize the camera sway is not fixe on a point and I am to
stupid to fix this, or is wc3 stupid?!
* I recommend you watch on 1024 x 768 x 32 screen resolution!!!*"

--- THE TEAM ---

"I am working solo!"

--- THE SIGNATURE ---

"Instead of protecting the map, which is going to get RAPED anyhoo- lol, I decided to make a signature which is actually a random
picture containing random objects, rescaled to a smaller resolution. In case someone suddenly feels like it`s trolling time and
wants to pretend it`s his/hers "creation", then comes in the signature which only I have in full resolution.
Besides, I`m generous enough to leave it exposed for you."
Enjoy@!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video

Warning spoilers!

Keywords:
Nightwish Over the Hills wc3 warcraft Cinematic
Contents

Over the Hills Episode 1 (Map)

Reviews
11:08, 6th Mar 2013 Orcnet: THIS CINEMATIC IS IN TOTAL AWESOMENESS! ALTHOUGH IT LOOKS LIKE A TRAILER OF A BAD-ASS GUN ERA, BUT SINCE THIS IS A FAREWELL OF YOUR BEST RESOURCE, I GRANTED THIS AS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED CINEMATIC (:
Level 7
Talavaj and Tobyfat you guys are working so hard on this lighting and stuff, you're inspiring me to do better and make mine look shit :DD

You two are awesome.
Also i can't wait to see the 2nd episode, though i'm sure it'll be DC worthy.

Level 16
That looks nuts man, what is the render time and texture size of the shadow maps in the scene ?
I'm slightly confused though, do you render with radiosity then bake the shadow maps ?
I have been using mental ray with global illumination and photometric lighting for bakes but the render times are horrendous.
Well to be honest I used radiosity with regular light, it reduces the render time I haven't tried mental ray out yet but I know it takes longer to render. The shadow texture size is 128 px for almost all the objects. Had 7 to 8 frames per object so I had to recalculate the radiosity at every frame because the light source changed. For one object it doesn't take too long, a few minutes at most 2 or 3. The whole room take more than one day of my time excluding the time I wasn't on the computer that means some good hours of rendering. Yes I baked the shadow textures for every frame. I'll Try to give you the video to see a example how it looks like.
I also made animated ads on a tv using the animated textures technique.

Download
Here is the room scene http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=1wq4ty

Last edited:
Level 17
Hmm, dunno it looks pretty good actually just that the movement is really really subtle maybe in scenes with more moving shadows it might be more worth animating them.
The occlusion looks better and more accurate than most real time lighting engines though.
I'm still thinking of using animated shadows, at least for big objects such as trees but instead of frames I'll simply move it back and forth with linear texture animation.

That being said the shadows and light add incredible plasticity !

Level 32
Review

Gameplay 40% [] Really fun game to play against NPCs. It's really fun to fight against the Orcs while special events are in action. You put a lot of time and effort into the number category of rating. Great job here.

Terrain 25% [] The terrain is based on cliffs, but it make the whole one castle/fort look bold and cool. Terrain south is a little simple, but the simple is the good type. Good job here.

Description 10% [] Very detailed description of the changes, but you should have a better description of the map itself instead of "Fortress Siege Reworked. The = screenshots are useful. Its good here.

Structure 15% [] The game works the way its supposed to work, the triggers work properly and balanced. Units are balanced and its not to laggy. Great job here.

Mistakes 5% [] Other than heroes/units being dumb and rarely getting stuck, no mistakes that I've seen. Great job here.

Gameplay: 39/40
Terrain: 24/25
Description: 8/10
Structure: 15/15
Mistakes: 5/5
96/100 1=0-40 2=40-65 3=66-85 4=86-95 5=96-100

Great Map overall, 5 Stars!

Level 35
Review

Gameplay 40% [] Really fun game to play against NPCs. It's really fun to fight against the Orcs while special events are in action. You put a lot of time and effort into the number category of rating. Great job here.

Terrain 25% [] The terrain is based on cliffs, but it make the whole one castle/fort look bold and cool. Terrain south is a little simple, but the simple is the good type. Good job here.

Description 10% [] Very detailed description of the changes, but you should have a better description of the map itself instead of "Fortress Siege Reworked. The = screenshots are useful. Its good here.

Structure 15% [] The game works the way its supposed to work, the triggers work properly and balanced. Units are balanced and its not to laggy. Great job here.

Mistakes 5% [] Other than heroes/units being dumb and rarely getting stuck, no mistakes that I've seen. Great job here.

Gameplay: 39/40
Terrain: 24/25
Description: 8/10
Structure: 15/15
Mistakes: 5/5
96/100 1=0-40 2=40-65 3=66-85 4=86-95 5=96-100

Great Map overall, 5 Stars!

What are you reviewing? I am pretty damn certain not this map - since this is a cinematic hence you don't control anything? Nor has it anything to do with a fortress map.. :eekani:

Level 16

What are you reviewing? I am pretty damn certain not this map - since this is a cinematic hence you don't control anything? Nor has it anything to do with a fortress map.. :eekani:

He probably is reviewing his own project?
----------------------------------------------

Updates for Today

I've been busy with my personal life so I had little time to work on the map but it just so happens I made a lot of progress on the map with the limited time I had.
I`am hoping to finish the episode this year instead of next so I`l do my best to post as soon as I can. Not to mention that I really need to make a decent thread for my project.
Map Status 94%
Here it is the last update I'll be spoiling you with, No more spoilers till I finish!
Here are some examples of biped animation using max + the havok reactor. Rather than using index animation a part of the cinematic will contain My personal animated model action scenes.
The Karate villagers is a pre made biped movement which I transferred, the rest is made by me, remember this are just tests.
------------
210613-albums6274-picture69607.gif

210613-albums6274-picture69608.gif

Additional there's a falling bear download.
The Dex script was problematic on exporting the bone animations, was getting messed up, especially in the torso area and no matter how hard I tried to fix it I failed. Fortunately 3ds max 5 came to the rescue, all I had to do was to convert the bones in to mesh and link it to the current bones.
My revolutionary camera system is giving me a real hell of a hard time. Yes the camera movement looks better interesting than the usual wc3 cameras but It gets messed up all the time, as in the camera changes position after it was played more than once. I don`t see any way of fixing it, I'll just have to remake the cameras till I go nuts, OMG~!!!:goblin_boom:
One more thing I`l be using for some models 1024px textures wich I`l chop in 4 - 512px images. Here is one of the textures I`l be using for one of those mountains I showed you earlier. And please don't tell me that it looks like Ice cream!
210613-albums6274-picture69606.jpg

Also still working on those darn terrains

210613-albums6274-picture69605.jpg

Attachments

• War3ModelEditor 2013-05-20 15-18-01-08.rar
    6.9 MB · Views: 78
Level 16
210613-albums6274-picture72584.jpg

I approximate a release date for the episode. Depending on my work programs I` release it sooner or later.
Above image is the loading screen. The scene looks just like that with moving clouds and flare effects.

210613-albums6274-picture72585.jpg

Here is how a finished render scene actually looks like. No photoshop, all systems developed and combined with other working systems and it all works in game. (No ENB series used!!) The map will lok greate as it is. Not all scene are quality, some might look like crap,but
nothing is perfect. If I wanted it perfect than I would be working on it 2 more years. This wont be just a simple terrain showcase, be prepared for some cutting edge special efx and never before fighting scene.
I know that you guys want a playable map really bad, as I received some hate for it. That`s up to other skilled people on this site who are already doing it ; people like Travaj etc...

Level 16
I have further improved my terrains in quality by adding a camera filter to the simple terrain scene. By doing so the lighting is better amplified giving the effect of bloom. It works best for still scenes but also for moving ones by adding 2 overlay filters, timed. The image is just one of my simple terrains with no teapot wvu`s.
210613-albums6110-picture72801.jpg

I learned how to use cat rigs for animations. It works better than biped animation because it can be directly export from max to wc3 while the character studio biped needs to go to multiple converters to work properly + it`s a more complex system and a lot harder to use. This was the final missing link to my cinematic the only problem remaining with the cinematic camera model sistem that is just sucking the life outta me!
----------------------------------------------------

Don't hate the Santa, he`is mentally insane.
210613-albums6110-picture72802.jpg

Another scene...
210613-albums6110-picture72803.jpg

Level 28
Since I use that grass model for more scenes I won't` change it. I am sure that there are other things that will impress you so that you will forget about the grass, and that is not the only grass model I am using.

Makes sense. The first episode really impressed me so I really can't wait for the second episode.

Map size 150 mb now and more than 20 min running.

Lovely filesize. I think I can spare a little of my 8.84gb remaining space on my HD I know its worth it.

Level 16
Researching Bump!

Took yet another break from working on the map because of a wonderful technique that I was introduced to by Travaj. The technique is called Scribble cell!. It can be used for anything from bump to specular to reflections. After lots of tests I came up with a bump that keeps its details in the dark. How does this work? It works by adding something called normal masks, by adding 2 identical diffuse textures with 2 different types of normal masks, one regular and the other inverted. It means you have to use the same texture twice which won't make some people happy if they want to use it. There are more ways to make bump but this would be the best way as I see it.
one other way would be by baking the light map with the bump, if you want accurate lighting and bump. Would like to mention that the bump layers work perfectly with shadow maps so there's another opens door for more detail.

Enjoy the test gallery, it's just the simple test for now. Won't spoil you guys too much with updates.

Scrible cell - courtesy of Travaj - Memento Mori

210613-albums6274-picture73456.png

210613-albums6274-picture73452.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture73453.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture73454.png

210613-albums6274-picture73455.jpg

Level 16
I was planning to release this a lot sooner but the "new Tech"; bumping, filters and shadow maps drastically changed the look of the entire map so I'm basically reworking on it again the result being the current release date.
With all the stuff that needs to be done I hope I`l get it finished in a years time. I'll just have to work hard enough. To be honest I'd like to finish it as soon as possible as it is very difficult to reconcile the project with daily matters. I'm basically splitting time with daily life as top priority of course. However I'm doing this for the art and passion of what I do so it's basically a way to relax and disconnect.

Level 16
I'm saying this because of the release date I set myself...
Because the project got huge I decided to make a project thread. I`l post a lot of stuff you guys haven't seen yet as for this place - one more (probably last) update coming up.
If project thread is done updates will move there.
--------------------------
Map size 200mb

Level 2
You AWESOME!!!
your scenes are pretty good,and the most NICE one is unbelievable distant views.
ah,and one more thing,i want to translate your description to Chinese then post on my blog to recommend for otherones.(will included original link)
Could i?

Level 16
Today I want to inform you guys that I'm working on the project thread and I'm preparing some surprise along with its creation (Extra stuff maybe) however I will not post or make it public until I gain that special something I was waiting for to give me a green light on the launching of theread and its resources. So once the thread is posted you will find a lot more stuff to keep you entertained till you wait for episode 2.
On another note I am taking a break from episode 2 creation because I stumbled yet again over a huge wall that keeps me from moving forward and I have yet to find a solution to it so I'll stop here for the moment. Also keep in mind that there's still time till the release date expires so don't be down.
No time was wasted, everything that was done so far is for the benefit of the project; modeling, new tech, etc.
For the time being I encourage you to follow me on this thread ---> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/picture-5-a-235844/index12.html#post2425751

Level 16
Might be launched in spring or later, at the moment I'm putting some effort in the ruined pack. Don't worry the sequel still in development but I've been busy channeling my energy to other threads Like Toby's Maps and such... I can't leave you without news so I'll start making the project thread this week with some new updates along!

Level 16
The project thread is in development but I just realized I have a little bit too much content so because of that I'm going to need another week or so (maybe even more), trust me ther is a ton load. So I'm going to spill a small sneak peek on the project's new look featuring bump for you hungry fans out there.

210613-albums6110-picture76196.png

210613-albums6110-picture76197.png

210613-albums6110-picture76198.png

210613-albums6110-picture76199.jpg

Remember, the project was 70% complete! Now it's down to 60% because of the new changes and do to my busyness!