• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Outer Space Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'm updating my Star Wars map by taking it into outer space. What are my terraining options?

So far I just downloaded a space terrain and painted the whole map with it. It looks okay, but you can't help but feel like you're flying over a space poster. You're just moving too fast I think... when you fly in space the planets and stars behind you aren't zooming by.

I was wondering if I could do something with a sky and alpha tiles or something. I have no experience with the alpha tile though, and didn't see any sky files.

I want to host this on BNet, so size is an issue, but I'm willing to spend a bit of space to get a good looking space sky. I know others have done this, can someone recommend a map that has done this well?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
There's an animated night sky backdrop, I think it's one of the orc campaign screens. If you flip that 90° vertically and play with the scaling you could probably pull off a decent space abyss.

I would also have you frame it with a pretty thick terrain fog and stuff like space dust and gas clouds. Probably some nebulas and galaxies as well.

Level 16
A sky Sphere?

178651-albums4665-picture45877.jpg

178651-albums4665-picture45874.jpg

178651-albums4665-picture45878.jpg

178651-albums4665-picture45887.jpg

178651-albums4665-picture45888.jpg

178651-albums4665-picture45890.jpg

Level 14
Razor,

That looks amazing! I particularly like what you did with the borders, I've been wondering what to do about that. I think I can handle the borders on my own, but the sky is well beyond anything I can do on my own.

Are you planning on releasing the texture you're using? Is it a texture overwrite or is that an image that you've imported?

I'm a little worried about the size of the map as well. Your custom interface (which looks cool, by the way) suggests you're going over the 8MB limit for Bnet. How much memory does it take to have a space terrain like you have?

Sorry for all the questions, and again - well done!

Darwin

Level 16
Razor,

That looks amazing! I particularly like what you did with the borders, I've been wondering what to do about that. I think I can handle the borders on my own, but the sky is well beyond anything I can do on my own.

Are you planning on releasing the texture you're using? Is it a texture overwrite or is that an image that you've imported?

I'm a little worried about the size of the map as well. Your custom interface (which looks cool, by the way) suggests you're going over the 8MB limit for Bnet. How much memory does it take to have a space terrain like you have?

Sorry for all the questions, and again - well done!

Darwin

actually the map size is very low,
around 3 - 4 mb x)

map is multiplayer.

the sky sphere is a few kb, around 25,

the skin is 250 - 350 kb, depending in the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.