• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Other spell casts instead of the one triggered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I am working on some basic spells for a hero. Everything worked fine, but after I decided to clean up my Object Editor (like setting all spells to Undead race, buffs and effects aswell) two spells started to act in a weird way.

If I cast spell A, it does cast Spell A but also highlights spell B just as it wanted to cast those two. When I cast spell B, it casts spell A instead and also highlights both spells the same way like in case of casting spell A. I didn't change anything in those spells themselves while cleaning up, I was just setting spells' races to Undead to have everything in one place.

Can upload a map if needed

Level 7
I based them on Blizzard, is there a fix to it? I changed the string of one to flamestrike but that didn't do much

Level 39
You cannot change the base order of any spell in WC3 except for two exceptions: Channel and Charge Gold & Lumber. For those two it's the base order field, not any of the order string fields that you need to modify (string fields do nothing).

Use Blizzard for one and Rain of Fire for the other. You could also make AoE abilities based on Channel and then set them to whatever order you want. Note that things will get fucky if you don't use a base order of the same targeting type as the spell is currently set to. So using Roar for CG&L is fine but Flamestrike would not be (since it's a non-targeted spell); this applies to whatever targeting type you set abilities based on Channel to.

Basically: Channel is a god tier flexible ability and you should abuse it whenever you can.

Level 7
Where can I find that Channel ability? I don't have english language set so channel word can be translated to many different words, can't find it. or is it the channeling type of spell and I gotta base it on channeling spell?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 65
Channel is a great option but there is one issue with it that wasn't mentioned here. The ability will automatically animation-cancel upon casting. In other words, it will ignore the Cast Backswing, which is what makes the unit smoothly transition from the spell casting animation to the stand animation. This is unlike most other abilities which will play the full cast animation unless the user manually interrupts them. I imagine this is a side effect of Channel being a channeling ability at it's core, since those types of abilities don't care about Cast Backswing.

This sort of thing bothers me but it's obviously not that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Level 21
You can alleviate the problem by increasing the "Follow through time" value accordingly.
Around 0.500 milliseconds does the trick of mimicking the cast backswing most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.