• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ostheria

my second upload so far. Ostheria is an elven city that allso has a human element to it. the streets are narrow making it difficult to manauver in the city there are a few seaports allowing you to take the fight dirrectly to the enemys base. this map has many beautiful places to discover. i would suggest having 2 players but the map can have up to 4.

Credits:
Klayton for his amazing collection of Blood Elf doodads.
Verdun for his Fern model which im liking more the more i use it.
Imforfun for his City Fountain and his garden wall which im rather fond of.
Sunchips for the animated grass.
Solu9 for the pond doodad another model ive growen fond of.
and to the people of the hive for the insperation it provides.

Feel free to use and modify as you wish i only want credit.
primarily a city/village map of medium size with a stunning landscape complte with hills waterfalls and of course the city itself which is of primarily blood elven design.
Contents

Ostheria (Map)

Level 23
I tried your last map and there a few things I've noticed in common.

> Really like how your maps form a complete landscape. In this case; a city that transitions into a field which is then surrounded by a moat.
It isn't simply a mess of various city-scape doodads, there are distinct regions and together they form an overarching landscape; I really like that.
The use of water features especially the ponds and fountains is very nice, the bridge columns are great as well.

> They're not particularly balanced. Red start is at a very odd position, personally a more sensible spot would be south of the purple start. That said,
I think the terrain in this map is good enough that I am willing to approve it on the grounds that is an excellent terrain piece/template alone.
Though in future projects, if you can make a melee map that is both (1) balanced and (2) interesting; you'll have hit the what is (IMO) the gold standard for melee map creation.

TLDR Version
- Melee Map with excellent terrain; not particularly balanced for competitive play.
- IMO better used as a terrain template
~ Map Approved
full
The terrain is really good, I could definitely learn a few things from it.

Last edited:
Level 3
thank you kino for your kind words and your advice. i suppose i can try and make a balanced map i personaly like maps with a sort of random feel to it like your playing a campaign but your actualy not. in saying that i will endevour to make future maps a little more balanced out.

Level 23
thank you kino for your kind words and your advice. i suppose i can try and make a balanced map i personaly like maps with a sort of random feel to it like your playing a campaign but your actualy not. in saying that i will endevour to make future maps a little more balanced out.

It depends really on what you want.
Are you trying to functional melee maps? > If so then balance is key.
Are trying to make a terrain piece? > If so then submit it under the template genre in the future.
Are you trying to make a campaign style scenario? > If so then perhaps add some custom gameplay/mission objectives.

I understand the goal of making something asymmetrical, and if that's your endgame; then perhaps melee maps aren't exactly the best option.