• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Ordering a group of unit function HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Unit group order problem

Please help me!

Why do I keep experiencing this...

I've made a trigger that creates enemy customized units for every second. They have only one purpose but to attack my character. When they are created will automatically order them to attack my character. Later on, when there is too much units created, they seem to just stand still and not move. Well, they are able to look at me, but THEY WILL NOT MOVE. Maybe because they're waiting for the others? I don't know...

Is there any thing on the Object Editor, Trigger Editor, or anywhere in World Editor that could disable this?

Last edited:
Level 9
Well. I thought this was a colorful tutorial. I thought this would have saved my map. I guess not.

Anyway...

THIS... THE SAID PROBLEM ABOVE IS MY PROBLEM TOO!

My Insanity Attack map has this problem and you cannot solve this.
Warcraft III can't handle too much units controlled by an AI player.

I have my hypotheses regarding this issue.

1. It might be because the AI is trying to pick everyone in the map and command them. Too many units stresses the AI.
Haven't tested it but... the solution might be to remove the AI.
You cannot remove the AI. You can only use a PLAYER FORCE that doesn't use AI, which is the Neutral slot.
The cons are several cases. With neutral force, you have to trigger EVERY UNIT. You cannot use the automatic set of spells that the AI smart casts and abuses.
With neutral force, too, your lobby menu won't display the neutral force.

I had another hypothesis but that wasn't valid because I managed to test it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 movement system is getting overloaded so cannot move all units efficiently. It computes movements once every game frame (I am guessing 60 times per second?). A movement lasts a certain distance or until interrupted by a collision. When moving hundreds of units with large collision sizes in the same area the double action of too few movement computations per second and movement being interrupted prematurely by collisions will make unit movement come to a crawl.

Since each player gets a movement calculation each time a simple solution is to spread the units across multiple players. Another, less perfect, solution is to reduce unit collision sizes so collisions have less impact on the movement system efficiency.

One could also move to StarCraft II which as no such problems and can manage thousands of units moving at once with no problems. Of course performance is another problem there.

My general advice would be to cap spawns at a reasonable number (100 units odd). After that buff existing units or apply other penalties to the player to encourage them dispatching the unit backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.