• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Orbit 1.60

----------Zhall Presents----------

ORBIT
Created by Zhall

Map Info:

Orbit is a true Risk style map based on dice mechanics, unlike most risk maps in Warcraft 3.

Features:
Orbit has the following features...
  • Truly random map generation
  • Custom attack sytem
  • Support for 8 players
  • Single player option
  • 8 Unique factions
  • Player skill levels to even the playing field
  • Skip-able in game tutorial to help newbies

Factions

Borg
  • We are the Borg, you will be assimilated! Resistance is futile.
  • The Borg are a collection of species that have been turned into cybernetic organisms functioning as drones of the Collective, or the hive.
  • +10 starting fleet
  • +4 Composite Alloys
  • +3 Pickup Radar

Dominion
  • I will not be stopped. Not by you, or the confederates, or the protoss, or anyone!
  • Christened in the very craddle of humanity, the machines rose from 01 to intergalactic power.
  • +5 starting fleet
  • Starts with 2 Orbital Drydocks
  • +1 Component Bays

Machines
  • Hand over your flesh, a new world awaits you. We demand it.
  • Ruled by the infamous Arcturus Mengsk, the Dominion rose from the ashes of the Terran confederacy.
  • +5 starting minerals
  • Stats with 2 Manufacturing Platforms
  • +1 Assembly Lines

Marines
  • Thats it man, Game over man, it's game over! What the f*** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
  • If you think "How do I get out of this chicken s*** outfit" came from Starcraft, you're dead wrong.
  • +2 Logistics
  • +2 Attack Bonus
  • +2 Composite Alloys

Plymouth
  • They came with the best of intentions, to build,grow,and thrive... and for a time they did. Then conflict arose between the colonists, and a splinter colony, plymouth, was founded.
  • After leaving Eden behind on the blight infested New Terra, Plymouth founded a new empire on yet another suitable planet.
  • +5 starting fleet
  • +2 Attack Bonus
  • +4 Speed

Sith
  • Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy!
  • With Darth Maul amongst their ranks, the Sith are a force to be reckoned with.
  • +5 starting fleet
  • Starts with 2 Defensive Platforms
  • +1 Defensive Enhancements

Soviet Union
  • When you kill one, it is a tragedy, when you kill 10 million, it is a statistic, hmph.
  • Emerging from Russia, the Soviet union became the first country on Earth to have a space presence after launching Sputnik.
  • +2 starting minerals
  • +1 Defensive Enhancements
  • Starts with Mass Destruction

Spaceballs
  • 3,2,1. Have a nice day! Thank you!
  • Based on Starwars, Spaceballs is a mockery that is a timeless treasure..
  • +15 starting minerals
  • +2 Defense Bonus
  • +3 Defensive Enhancements

Videos:

Video Description:
Ingame tutorial with added image overlays for better clarity.

Match against the AI:
Demonstrates how you can play against the AI

Sample game:
Sample game with 7 people.

Change Log:

Added:
  • Contact Quest
  • Legion Capital
Removed:
  • Faction unbalances for Plymouth and Sith
Fixed:
  • Legion post-tutorial planet number
Changed:
  • Reserve glitch fix

Fixed:
  • Faction menu not being shown for every player.

Fixed:
  • Added new original background artwork for loading screen and map preview
  • Only require 70% map ownership to everyone expect gray to win
  • Show planet ownership percentage on multiboard
  • Change perimeter defense attack system to pheonix fire
  • Limit 1 drydock per solar system
  • Update loading screen and map preview to new background
  • Fix multiboard when player leaves, notify players when they leave
  • Make everyone allied to fix pings
  • Recolored jupiters to pink
  • Fixed contact email in quests
  • Fixed minerals in command pane - looked at gold for gold god
  • Make nukes only do 50% damage
  • Make upgrades more expensive, salvage teams much more so
  • Make upgrades instant
  • Improve upgrade description to show max level
  • Make last level say maxed - use tech requirement

Changed:
  • Made Legion easier and reduced the amount of fleet they reinforce with

Changed:
  • Made AI attack again
  • Added player amount decriptions to galaxy selection
  • Changed flak cannons "passive" to flak cannons "command button"
  • Changed all instances of mineral to crystal
  • Added enroute limit to multiboard
  • Made AI attack with random fleet amounts

Credits:

Testing:
  • deathbiter
  • Darksanity
  • Dicespin
  • Andros

Models:
  • Illidan(Evil)X
  • Systemfre1
  • jk2pachCoxxon
  • RED BARON
  • Ket
  • Jacopo
  • Martinis
Icons:
  • The_Silent
  • Marcos DAB
  • BAS
  • Zhall
Trigger Help:
  • Tickles
  • IcemanBo
  • NichilusCokemonkey11
Orbit Logo:
  • Zhall and philipba [fiverr]
Factions:
  • Borg - StarTrek Voyager
  • Dominion - Starcraft
  • Machines - The Matrix
  • Marines - Aliens
  • Plymouth - Outpost 2
  • Sith - Starwars
  • Soviet Union - C&C Red Alert
  • Spaceballs - Spaceballs

Contact

• Email - [email protected]
  • Tweet - @orbit.kca
  • Facebook - www.facebook.com/orbit.kca
  • Or post here!

Author's notes:

I really hope this is something new, I have never seen anything like it on battle.net, and I've spent at least 5000-6000 hours playing :D

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
real,true,risk,galaxy,orbit,space,star,war,universe
Contents

Orbit 1.60 (Map)

Reviews
12:40, 8th Apr 2014 Orcnet: very impressive game and with a pinch of voice acting, approve as recommended.

M

12:40, 8th Apr 2014
Orcnet: very impressive game and with a pinch of voice acting, approve as recommended.

Level 10
Pretty awesome. It even has a small amount of voice acting. I'm gonna play this.
Another awesome risk map that's more unique and it's Sci-Fi!

Level 9
Pretty awesome. It even has a small amount of voice acting. I'm gonna play this.
Another awesome risk map that's more unique and it's Sci-Fi!

Haha yep thats me, with a Voxal voice mod.

Trying to set-up a hosting bot, but I cant get Ghost to generate a .cfg for the map..

EDIT: Lol, it helped to not open it in NOTEPAD XD

Now it's hosting, but there's no local copy for people to download?... so its not.. working.. lol

Last edited:
Level 6
All I can say is, a truly epic map. Single-player can be a little dull, since the AI is lame, but still satisfying if you have no one to play with. Cannot judge for multiplayer, but will play it with my brother soon. A strategy map with dice system is new (at least to me), found no bugs and the map is very interesting to play! :thumbs_up:

Level 9
3 video but all of them are the same >.>

anyway, this looks pretty awesome.. and i love that voice acting.. i'll try it when i have a chance :3

Ya sorry about that... It's [WIP]

I was going to make them, but I was also trying to setup a hosting bot.

EDIT: Just one last video to make, it's hard to find people to play with these days...

Got a bot hosting on West, either going to move it to East or do both.

EDIT: Moved it to East, west is so dead.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this map, all systems are fluent, and i like the way the maps are procedurally generated. Only thing i reacted on was that sometimes solar systems get entangled with eachother in a very awkward way. Really sweet to see someone using my planet models aswell, if you want to add more space doodads i just recently uploaded an asteroid pack and a lightweight quasar/black hole model which you can find on my resource page.

If you want to expand on the risk concept i have some ideas: why not add structural upgrades to the planets? For instance, you can have an "orbital cannon" upgrade which increases your defensive roll by +1, or a troop training facility that increases your reinforcement gain by +2. Perhaps an industrial upgrade which increases your gold income? These upgrades would cost, but also be lost once the planet is taken. They would show up visually as a unit orbiting the planet.

Finally, if you should be interrested, i actually made a hyperrealistic planetarium simulator, which basically simulates the impact of gravity between bodies in a solar system, using newtonian physics. The cool part is that if you were to, say, shoot an asteroid through a solar system, the gravitational pull from the different bodies would either cause it to be snatched up as a satellite around a planet, or get stuck in orbit around the sun. Planets can also snatch moons from eachother, should they stroke pass eachother very closely. I am not sure if real-time simulation has any advantages in your map over pre-determined orbits, but it could always be cool to check out.

I like this version better but:

*Your orbit system is still very awkward. Stars spawn very close to eachother and solar systems become entangled.

*Once the selection texttag became bugged for me. The green tag would get stuck to a single planet and not update when i selected others. The game still registered the selection though, but it was annoying not to have the visual feedback.

*You should not have borderless (passive) icons for upgrades or abilities which are actively used.

*The game leaks something tremendously. I got a black screen for over 3 minutes when closing the game which is an indication that it needs extensive memory cleanup.

*I never really understood how waves work... what are the advantages of using multiple waves? Don't you get better roll results if you have lots of units in each wave instead? Perhaps you should add this to the tutorial.

Level 9
I like this version better but:

*Your orbit system is still very awkward. Stars spawn very close to eachother and solar systems become entangled.

*Once the selection texttag became bugged for me. The green tag would get stuck to a single planet and not update when i selected others. The game still registered the selection though, but it was annoying not to have the visual feedback.

*You should not have borderless (passive) icons for upgrades or abilities which are actively used.

*The game leaks something tremendously. I got a black screen for over 3 minutes when closing the game which is an indication that it needs extensive memory cleanup.

*I never really understood how waves work... what are the advantages of using multiple waves? Don't you get better roll results if you have lots of units in each wave instead? Perhaps you should add this to the tutorial.

You pretty much just summed up the known bugs list in a single post XD

*The system spawning is probably too random, making it more uniform would have been in the best interest.

*That selection issue has plagued me forever, it literally doesn't show up during certain games, and does in others...

*I'm not quite sure which abilities you are referring to for the passive icons, but I do know what you mean.

*I have done a few things to fix that black screen issue, apparently removing the 100,000 leaks over an hour period did not seem to help? Thanks for the garbage collector blizzard.

*Waves are sent so that if the first ship fails, the next ship takes a swing, and so on. This feature is most likely not going to make it to the sc2 port.

As much as I would like to fix blizzards garbage collection, I'd much rather prefer to use Sc2's built in system. Production on this mod will be on ice as the Sc2 one shapes up, as well as... a table top.. version.. which I am also working on.

It's a shame not to fix it, but its more of a headache than I'm ready to endure at this time.

Level 28
The game only froze after I quit when I played it.

The leaderboard should have the limit of available fleets on it along with the enroute ones.

I would suggest making system add-ons automatic rather than planet by planet (as in, tell the F1 menu to build a factory, it builds one in the nearest system or tells you all systems are full).

Is there a way to put planetary fleets back into reserve?

Other than that, very cool map, easy enough to understand and the multiple attack is a good timesaver.

Level 9
Is there a way to put planetary fleets back into reserve?

Yes actually, send an attack wave to a planet and select the ships that are moving. Order them to stop; they will be returned to your reserve.

I agree that it should mention the fleet total capacity on the leader board.

If I ever get around to 1.6 I'll definitely add it.

Level 7
I played your map 1v1 with a friend and it was a damn lot of fun :)
really enjoyed it..
im not sure if it is already there but...
-where can i see my fleets in reserve?
-can i team up with other players?

i also didnt get what some of the upgrades where good for...im sure they did something but i didnt get what ^^
...to be fair: i played only one round ;)

Level 9
I played your map 1v1 with a friend and it was a damn lot of fun :)
really enjoyed it..
im not sure if it is already there but...
-where can i see my fleets in reserve?
-can i team up with other players?

i also didnt get what some of the upgrades where good for...im sure they did something but i didnt get what ^^
...to be fair: i played only one round ;)

-Fleet reserve is on the leader board
-There are Teams of 2 and Teams of 4 options during map generation

You pretty much just summed up the known bugs list in a single post XD

*The system spawning is probably too random, making it more uniform would have been in the best interest.

*That selection issue has plagued me forever, it literally doesn't show up during certain games, and does in others...

*I'm not quite sure which abilities you are referring to for the passive icons, but I do know what you mean.

*I have done a few things to fix that black screen issue, apparently removing the 100,000 leaks over an hour period did not seem to help? Thanks for the garbage collector blizzard.

*Waves are sent so that if the first ship fails, the next ship takes a swing, and so on. This feature is most likely not going to make it to the sc2 port.

As much as I would like to fix blizzards garbage collection, I'd much rather prefer to use Sc2's built in system. Production on this mod will be on ice as the Sc2 one shapes up, as well as... a table top.. version.. which I am also working on.

It's a shame not to fix it, but its more of a headache than I'm ready to endure at this time.

I take it you are using GUI... a few tips:

• Run the map with nhocklanhox6's memory leak checker. It is useful to trace down what specific types of leaks you are dealing with (my guess is location leaks). Remember to remove it once you are done checking since it slows down your code.

• Whenever you use "random location in rect", you will leak a location unless you catch and remove it. The random item spawns are just about rare enough to cause leaks of the mild proportion we are seing right now. Generally, anything that returns a location will leak (hell, even the "world bounds" option leaks a rect since it returns a new rect everytime!!)

• I take it you know this, but the "point with offset" action leaks two locations. Once for the input location, and once for the output. I doubt you've missed this though since your map is running fine.

• All actions of type "pick units in group" will leak a group. You need to do "set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true" in a custom script line before you run these actions.