1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Orb Ranking discussion

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Weigazod, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Weigazod

Weigazod

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard offer us a range of Orbs, how will you rank them?

All orbs allow heroes to attack air units.

Orb of Fire : Add 5 damage, each attack splash 5 spell damage.

Orb of Lightning : Add 5 damage.
    Have 10% (to hero), 35% (to unit) chance to cast purge on the target. Heroes are paused for 1 second (3 for units). Also get slowed for 5 (or 15 for unit) seconds. Summoned units get 150 damage.

Orb of Venom : Add 5 damage. Target received 9 damage every second for 6 seconds. Damage stack.

Orb of Corruption : Add 5 damage. Target armor is reduced by 5 for 5 seconds.

Orb of Frost : Add 6 damage. Target attack speed and movement speed are reduced, 25% and 50%. Last 1 second for heroes (3 seconds for units).

Orb of Lightning (+6) : Add 6 damage. Deal 35 damage to summoned units. Unit get purged. Slowed for 3 seconds (0.3 for heroes).

Orb of Slow : Add 6 damage.
    Have 5% (to hero), 35% (to summoned unit), 15% (to units) chance to cast Slow on the target. Attack speed and Movement speed are reduced by 25% and 60% last for 20 seconds for Heroes (60 seconds for units).

Orb of Darkness : Add 6 damage.
    When kill an enemy, raise a lesser dark minion, 200 hit points and 13 - 15 attack damage.

Orb of Kil'jaeden : Add 6 damage, each attack splash 6 spell damage.

Shadow Orb
    +1 : Add 1 damage
    +2 : Add 2 damage
    +3 : Add 3 damage
    +4 : Add 4 damage, + 1 armor
    +5 : Add 5 damage, + 1 armor
    +6 : Add 6 damage, + 1 armor
    +7 : Add 7 damage, + 2 armor
    +8 : Add 8 damage, + 2 armor
    +9 : Add 9 damage, + 2 armor, +2 regeneration
    +10 : Add 10 damage, + 3 armor, +2 regeneration

My ranking from worst to best:

Lowest rank: Shadow Orb from +1 to +4

Lesser rank: Orb of Fire and Shadow Orb +5

Low rank: Orb of Venom, Shadow Orb +6 and Orb of Kil'jaeden

Medium rank: Orb of Lightning +6, Orb of Darkness, Shadow Orb +7 and Orb of Lightning

Major rank: Orb of Slow

High rank: Orb of Corruption, Orb of Frost and Shadow Orb +8

Final Rank: Shadow Orb +9 and +10

Your opinion will help me greatly in my map balancing :)

2. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Resources:
    My list is somewhat similar to yours:

Lowest rank: Orb of Fire (meh, so boring and no other special effects), Shadow Orb from +1 to +3

Lesser rank: Orb of Kil'jaeden and Shadow Orb +5 and +6

Medium rank: Orb of Venom, Orb of Lightning +6, Orb of Darkness, Shadow Orb +7 and Orb of Lightning

High rank: Orb of Slow, Orb of Corruption, Orb of Frost and Shadow Orb +8

Final Rank: Shadow Orb +9 and +10

3. Weigazod

Weigazod

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that's the very reason Blizzard reduce Orb of Fire cost from 400 to 275 in the latest patch lol. While the others only get reduce to 375 or 325 in case of orb of venom and orb of corruption get nerf, armor reduction go down from 5 to 4. :))

4. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Orb of Darkness is the supreme in my opinion which should cost a lot than the others orbs

5. Weigazod

Weigazod

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its effect is quite bitchy to me. It requires you to kill an enemy in a hero vs hero it is the same as a Claws of attack + 6.

Not to mention any ability that can dispel or damage summoned unit will render this effect useless.

6. blancfaye7

blancfaye7

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I actually like Orb of Fire than the rest. The Splash Damage and bonus damage is supreme.
    This is thinking fighting off as an army, not ranking using singly units.

7. Weigazod

Weigazod

Resources:
    Resources:
    Problem is we don't have that fast attack speed in melee game to make it useful and the units won't sit there in a group to make you affect more than 2 units. Not to mention the splash damage is too small it will easily get healed. In a melee damage, DPS and burst damage is much better than weak pulses.

8. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be honest I don't think it is appropriate to compare the Orbs from melee race shops and the rare and/or campaign only Orbs.

Regarding the Shop Item Orbs I would rank it like this:

4th - Orb of Fire;
    All it does is give very weak splash damage. Worst of all Orbs.
    3rd - Orb of Lightning
    Situational Purge can be useful against summoned units. Also can help in chasing enemy heroes. If it was 100% it would be higher.
    2nd - Orb of Venom
    I suppose it has best DPS of them all for 1v1.
    1st - Orb of Corruption.
    Because armor reduction makes all of units in your army deal better damage to the target.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other Orbs

Orb of Kil'Jaden is just better Orb of Fire for whooping +1 points. Better than Fire Orb but I prefer all other orbs more.

Orb of Darkness is basically mana free Dark Rangers ability stuck at level 1. With good micro can be great but since ability is stuck in level 1 it isn't that useful. If it was Orb in melee game it would come in Tier 3 by which time puny skeletons would be almost useless. No idea where to rank this one as potentially it is the worst one.

Orb of Lightning II the one that has 100% Purge is better even if summon damage is lower. Also gets +6 damage.

Orb of Frost is basically free Ice Arrows which are very useful. I would definitely pick it over Shop Orbs.

Orb of Slow is kinda sort of better Frost Orb depending on luck. Personally I prefer 100% effect over Random% effect but the longer Slow ability is better.

Shadow Orb is of course best Orb but what else would you expect from an Item that gets it's own side quest? I won't count the fragments because they are fragments of whole item.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mandatory result from worst to best:

Orb of Fire
    Orb of Kil'jaden
    Orb of Darkness
    Orb of Lightning I
    Orb of Venom
    Orb of Lightning II
    Orb of Corruption
    Orb of Frost / Orb of Slow
    Orb of Shadow

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree with VeljkoM's list here.

Still, I personally see Orb of Frost as more useful than Orb of Slow - yes, slow is improved,
    but Frost is 100% and can help A LOT in slowing an enemy unit/hero that's attempting to
    retreat while Slow depends on luck.
    It doesn't help me that the Slow is longer when I cannot trigger it.

I can understand why both could also be on the same rank, though, so no big disagreement,
    just a tiny bit nitpicking of mine here.

10. Weigazod

Weigazod

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, campaign or melee, they both appear as purchasable orb for item shop in my altered melee map. Which is why i ask for a ranking in order to balance thing out.

And 1 thing about Orb of Frost and Orb of Slow. The slow effect can be dispelled while the frozen isn't.

11. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you are making Altered Melee you should be then be creating custom orbs better. Orb Ability has incredible potential to be modified. I would ask you why would you even make all orbs purchasable by all players in any melee map but I'll wait to see your map before I make observations and inevitable techtee judgments.

12. Weigazod

Weigazod

Resources:
    Resources:
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/deathknell-revised-2-01-a-279567/

Already published :))

13. mrwhite-

mrwhite-

Resources:
    Resources:
    In melee, depending on the specific hero and high food armies, I would always weight Orb of Venom higher than any other. When I discovered that the venom actually stacks, it is insane value for the cost.

Orb of Corruption and Orb of Lightning are close tied second.

Orb of Darkness and Fire are very underwhelming, in melee you will find Darkness Orb at red spots that has a chance of dropping better items, meanwhile Orb of Fire is just a bad item.

14. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Honestly, the shadow Orb bonuses aren't very good and can easily be replaced by other wc3 items. So would put them further down the tier list.