• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Orb Ranking discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Blizzard offer us a range of Orbs, how will you rank them?

All orbs allow heroes to attack air units.

Orb of Fire : Add 5 damage, each attack splash 5 spell damage.

Orb of Lightning : Add 5 damage.
Have 10% (to hero), 35% (to unit) chance to cast purge on the target. Heroes are paused for 1 second (3 for units). Also get slowed for 5 (or 15 for unit) seconds. Summoned units get 150 damage.

Orb of Venom : Add 5 damage. Target received 9 damage every second for 6 seconds. Damage stack.

Orb of Corruption : Add 5 damage. Target armor is reduced by 5 for 5 seconds.

Orb of Frost : Add 6 damage. Target attack speed and movement speed are reduced, 25% and 50%. Last 1 second for heroes (3 seconds for units).

Orb of Lightning (+6) : Add 6 damage. Deal 35 damage to summoned units. Unit get purged. Slowed for 3 seconds (0.3 for heroes).

Orb of Slow : Add 6 damage.
Have 5% (to hero), 35% (to summoned unit), 15% (to units) chance to cast Slow on the target. Attack speed and Movement speed are reduced by 25% and 60% last for 20 seconds for Heroes (60 seconds for units).

Orb of Darkness : Add 6 damage.
When kill an enemy, raise a lesser dark minion, 200 hit points and 13 - 15 attack damage.

Orb of Kil'jaeden : Add 6 damage, each attack splash 6 spell damage.

Shadow Orb
+1 : Add 1 damage
+2 : Add 2 damage
+3 : Add 3 damage
+4 : Add 4 damage, + 1 armor
+5 : Add 5 damage, + 1 armor
+6 : Add 6 damage, + 1 armor
+7 : Add 7 damage, + 2 armor
+8 : Add 8 damage, + 2 armor
+9 : Add 9 damage, + 2 armor, +2 regeneration
+10 : Add 10 damage, + 3 armor, +2 regeneration

My ranking from worst to best:

Lowest rank: Shadow Orb from +1 to +4

Lesser rank: Orb of Fire and Shadow Orb +5

Low rank: Orb of Venom, Shadow Orb +6 and Orb of Kil'jaeden

Medium rank: Orb of Lightning +6, Orb of Darkness, Shadow Orb +7 and Orb of Lightning

Major rank: Orb of Slow

High rank: Orb of Corruption, Orb of Frost and Shadow Orb +8

Final Rank: Shadow Orb +9 and +10

Your opinion will help me greatly in my map balancing :)

My list is somewhat similar to yours:

Lowest rank: Orb of Fire (meh, so boring and no other special effects), Shadow Orb from +1 to +3

Lesser rank: Orb of Kil'jaeden and Shadow Orb +5 and +6

Medium rank: Orb of Venom, Orb of Lightning +6, Orb of Darkness, Shadow Orb +7 and Orb of Lightning

High rank: Orb of Slow, Orb of Corruption, Orb of Frost and Shadow Orb +8

Level 6
My list is somewhat similar to yours:

Lowest rank: Orb of Fire (meh, so boring and no other special effects), Shadow Orb from +1 to +3

Lesser rank: Orb of Kil'jaeden and Shadow Orb +5 and +6

Medium rank: Orb of Venom, Orb of Lightning +6, Orb of Darkness, Shadow Orb +7 and Orb of Lightning

High rank: Orb of Slow, Orb of Corruption, Orb of Frost and Shadow Orb +8

I think that's the very reason Blizzard reduce Orb of Fire cost from 400 to 275 in the latest patch lol. While the others only get reduce to 375 or 325 in case of orb of venom and orb of corruption get nerf, armor reduction go down from 5 to 4. :))

Level 6
I actually like Orb of Fire than the rest. The Splash Damage and bonus damage is supreme.
This is thinking fighting off as an army, not ranking using singly units.

Problem is we don't have that fast attack speed in melee game to make it useful and the units won't sit there in a group to make you affect more than 2 units. Not to mention the splash damage is too small it will easily get healed. In a melee damage, DPS and burst damage is much better than weak pulses.

Level 20
To be honest I don't think it is appropriate to compare the Orbs from melee race shops and the rare and/or campaign only Orbs.

Regarding the Shop Item Orbs I would rank it like this:

4th - Orb of Fire;
All it does is give very weak splash damage. Worst of all Orbs.
3rd - Orb of Lightning
Situational Purge can be useful against summoned units. Also can help in chasing enemy heroes. If it was 100% it would be higher.
2nd - Orb of Venom
I suppose it has best DPS of them all for 1v1.
1st - Orb of Corruption.
Because armor reduction makes all of units in your army deal better damage to the target.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Orbs

Orb of Kil'Jaden is just better Orb of Fire for whooping +1 points. Better than Fire Orb but I prefer all other orbs more.

Orb of Darkness is basically mana free Dark Rangers ability stuck at level 1. With good micro can be great but since ability is stuck in level 1 it isn't that useful. If it was Orb in melee game it would come in Tier 3 by which time puny skeletons would be almost useless. No idea where to rank this one as potentially it is the worst one.

Orb of Lightning II the one that has 100% Purge is better even if summon damage is lower. Also gets +6 damage.

Orb of Frost is basically free Ice Arrows which are very useful. I would definitely pick it over Shop Orbs.

Orb of Slow is kinda sort of better Frost Orb depending on luck. Personally I prefer 100% effect over Random% effect but the longer Slow ability is better.

Shadow Orb is of course best Orb but what else would you expect from an Item that gets it's own side quest? I won't count the fragments because they are fragments of whole item.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mandatory result from worst to best:

Orb of Fire
Orb of Kil'jaden
Orb of Darkness
Orb of Lightning I
Orb of Venom
Orb of Lightning II
Orb of Corruption
Orb of Frost / Orb of Slow
Orb of Shadow

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I agree with VeljkoM's list here.

Still, I personally see Orb of Frost as more useful than Orb of Slow - yes, slow is improved,
but Frost is 100% and can help A LOT in slowing an enemy unit/hero that's attempting to
retreat while Slow depends on luck.
It doesn't help me that the Slow is longer when I cannot trigger it.

I can understand why both could also be on the same rank, though, so no big disagreement,
just a tiny bit nitpicking of mine here.

Level 6
Well, campaign or melee, they both appear as purchasable orb for item shop in my altered melee map. Which is why i ask for a ranking in order to balance thing out.

And 1 thing about Orb of Frost and Orb of Slow. The slow effect can be dispelled while the frozen isn't.

Level 20
If you are making Altered Melee you should be then be creating custom orbs better. Orb Ability has incredible potential to be modified. I would ask you why would you even make all orbs purchasable by all players in any melee map but I'll wait to see your map before I make observations and inevitable techtee judgments.

Level 6
Level 3
In melee, depending on the specific hero and high food armies, I would always weight Orb of Venom higher than any other. When I discovered that the venom actually stacks, it is insane value for the cost.

Orb of Corruption and Orb of Lightning are close tied second.

Orb of Darkness and Fire are very underwhelming, in melee you will find Darkness Orb at red spots that has a chance of dropping better items, meanwhile Orb of Fire is just a bad item.

Status
Not open for further replies.