Orb Items as Spells or Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
New here to the forums and this appears to be the right section to ask this question. Basically I'm trying to figure out how to take the abilities of an orb item and allow them to be used by a hero; specifically the attributes such as the fire damage from the orb of fire. I would like to make it so a hero can activate this ability and temporarily gain the bonuses of whatever orb it would be based off of. (minus the ranged attack and damage bonus if possible)

I have a fairly good understanding of the object editor and varied experience with the trigger editor however I know nothing about JASS and probably will never have the time to learn it. I have also read the tutorial called "mysteries of the spellbook" on creating hidden passive icons and have managed to make a working activated evasion.

Thanks in advance.

Level 23
Dont have Editor on this PC, so I dont know the exact wording but...
Suggestion:

Spellbook ability, with a dummy ability for each Orb you want. For example, let's use Fire, Frost, and Venom orbs.

Trigger: Fire Orb Ability Activation
Initially Activated
if
unit uses ability: activate fire orb
then
remove ability: passive fire orb from casting unit
remove ability: passive frost orb from casting unit
remove ability: passive venom orb from casting unit
add ability: passive fire orb to casting unit
Run Trigger: Orb Ability Removal

Trigger: Frost Orb Ability Activation
Initially Activated
if
unit uses ability: activate frost orb
then
add ability: passive frost orb to casting unit

Trigger: Venom Orb Ability Activation
Initially Activated
if
unit uses ability: activate venom orb
then
add ability: passive venom orb to casting unit

Trigger: Orb Ability Removal
Not Initially Activated
Wait 20 seconds
Pick Every Unit in UnitGroup (Hero with Orb Ability)
remove ability: passive fire orb from picked unit
remove ability: passive frost orb from picked unit
remove ability: passive venom orb from picked unit

Not sure how to make this multi-instanceable, so multiple players / units / heroes could have it, but that can be done with some inventive use of Variables.

Level 12
New here to the forums and this appears to be the right section to ask this question. Basically I'm trying to figure out how to take the abilities of an orb item and allow them to be used by a hero; specifically the attributes such as the fire damage from the orb of fire. I would like to make it so a hero can activate this ability and temporarily gain the bonuses of whatever orb it would be based off of. (minus the ranged attack and damage bonus if possible)

I have a fairly good understanding of the object editor and varied experience with the trigger editor however I know nothing about JASS and probably will never have the time to learn it. I have also read the tutorial called "mysteries of the spellbook" on creating hidden passive icons and have managed to make a working activated evasion.

Thanks in advance.

It's just like you said.

Put it in a hidden spellbook. Add/remove when you toggle.

Level 1
Ah I guess I shoud have clarified a bit more that I was just using the fire damage as an example and that one unit wouldn't have them all the orb abilities at the same time. This entire idea stems from the fact that I'm trying to make an ability for an assassin class hero where he can apply poison to his weapons for a duration and during that duration his weapons will cause poison damage.

Searching around the forums a bit more i've seen various elemental type questions being answered with using the item ability "Orb of Lighting (new)" and changing the "Data - effect ability" to something else as it defauls to "item purge (2)". I'm going to try changing the data effect to a poison and see if that will work. I'll post back here agian when I'm done so if it does work everyone will know.

Thank you for your help though GreyArchon.

Status
Not open for further replies.