• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Open Diablo III Beta test weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
2. It's not meant to be the first full chapter, at all. It took me 50 minutes with a group of 4 people. Apparently, there is supposed to be much more content in Act 1, at least according to some people. I'm guessing that Act 1 is finding the fallen star and discovering what it actually is(my guess: The other Lord of Hell, the weird one from the Black Soulstone cinematic).
It is Tyrael who has been thrown out of heaven for destroying the World Stone. You then go to shut down some demonic forge where the Butcher works.

In Act 2 you fight The Lord of Lies.

Between Act 2 and 3 is the Black Soulstone cinematic.

Act 3 you fight Azmodan, The Lord of Sin and most of the armies of Hell.

Act 4 you fight both forces of Hell and Heaven before having a show down with Diablo. It would be nice if Mephisto and Baal were involved but they are probably for the expansions.

Anyway, I can certainly say that I've had fun in this BETA, though I would appreciate it if they made it more obvious that an item is for a higher level than you before you craft it: E.g, paint it in a red\gray color. I disenchanted all of the items on my 2 previous heroes(level 9 Barbarian and level 12 Witch Doctor) and made myself a crossbow only to realize that there is a difference between a Hand Crossbow and a Crossbow(the latter being two-handed). I felt like a total idiot, but I thought it would be no problem, since you could also craft hand crossbows... Well, TOO BAD! Level 16! Hahas!
You are aware the Demon Hunter can use a Crossbow and a Quiver at the same time? The 2H of Bows and Crossbows only stops you using a Shield but not a Quiver on your Off-Hand.

Level 31
To be honest I am pretty disappointed. I felt that the beta was a little bit ... boring, especially in terms of graphics. Why do all the dungeons in chapter 1 look the same? Why do I keep killing the same monsters? Also, I only took like 3 hours to complete the beta (which was meant to be the full first chapter) ... this is clearly not enough. Especially as there were only 4 quests and not a single side quest.
This and the fact that the difficulty level was ridcolous, really made me think about spending 60 dollars on this game ... and I was a total blizzard game addict up until now!

3 hours? Are you serious?

I took 30 minutes... and I tried all of the classes (lvl 10-12 each) and only spent a max of 1 hour on each class (all beaten beta ofc). I also made a hardcore char and got that up too.

From what I've seen, the barbarian is severely op against bosses because of mass stun. When it was fighting Leoric, Leoric got 0 hits in.

As for witch doctor, ok dps on the bats, but otherwise pretty meh compared to the other classes (very boring too). Spider ability is 100% crap. The witch doctor had less defense and less dps when using spiders + dogs. It did much, much better with its basic ability (w/e that's called) + dogs. The dogs are ofc crap (1 hit ko from boss), but the boss doesn't do enough dps to really matter anyways. The witch doctor's dps relies heavily on his bat aoe (only dps I had since I didn't bother lvling him up as I didn't like him). He appears to be more of a support character, having abilities like hex and what not. He could be very useful in later games where his abilities come in handy (given that they work on bosses). If they don't work on bosses, then he's pretty much bleh, lol.

Monk was pretty fun, but didn't have the versatility of the barbarian. Pretty good dps + aoe, but it can't match the dps of a good wizard either.

The demon hunter was pretty ok. People say that it's wtfx, but I didn't see that. Abilities like rapid shot or w/e do very little damage for each shot. Sure, if you are a lvl 12 killing lvl 2s, then rapid shot can look like wtfx, but if you are a lvl 7 in a full party, ur dps isn't going to be all that great (which is to be expected). It's a reminder of the assassin + amazon classes from D2.

Overall, right now I'd probably rate barbarian and wizard the highest (wizard for great dps and barbarian for great versatility against trash mobs + bosses). Barb also has early leap, which helps it get through dungeons faster =).

Also, Leoric isn't all of the first chapter, it's just the introduction.

Level 22
Lol i beat leoric in 1-2 minutes with barbarian and witch doc. My monk killed him in 90 seconds.

Blame it on the lack of mana potions or rather, the cooldown. I was waiting to freeze him until I spam Arcane orb. Also he killed my char once the very 1st time did some sort of critical strike cause suddenly from nearly 50% life took it in 1 hit. But then it became too easy. - And I wait to get under 10% life to drink, also potions have cooldown, in D2 they didnt :/

I've played this emulator which btw is completely pointless as there are no creatures or they do not fight at all and are stolen from Act 2 so you may think all is frm act 1 as I did.

At least around it I visited Fields of Misery and Abandoned Windmill/Watermill and some new place with fallen star and blue light. It is beyond the Cemetery where you cannot walk further as the gate is locked.

1. The dungeons were different. My favorite was randomly finding the Den of the Fallen on my Demon Hunter, but the Mass Grave was great as well, on my Witch Doctor.

Now I remember that Diablo 2 also had at least 2 variations of the map of a certain area. When I was level 1 I enetered this cave (I think in the Weeping Hollow) where these zergling like jumpy creatures surrounded my char and she couldn't escape. Then I wanted to kick their butt at high level but the cave never appeared again.

The cave under the well under Old Tristram Ruins that also appeared casually was nice looking. The very first time I played I started directly from after Cain is saved, in the last hour I did this quest, idk why the quests changed order, maybe I joined a later game. Then everything was dying in nearly 1 hit.

as there were only 4 quests and not a single side quest.

is there anything you're not disappointed from? The quest on the way to Old Tristram was kill 3 of these female zombies that spawn zombies. It was a bonus/side quest.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Also he killed my char once the very 1st time did some sort of critical strike cause suddenly from nearly 50% life took it in 1 hit. But then it became too easy.
That is his whirlwind cleave that does 200-400 damage on the initial hit. Step back and it misses you completely.

I've played this emulator which btw is completely pointless as there are no creatures or they do not fight at all and are stolen from Act 2 so you may think all is frm act 1 as I did.
Which is the quality of game play that pirates will get. I say Blizzard won the piracy war with Diablo III.

At least around it I visited Fields of Misery and Abandoned Windmill/Watermill and some new place with fallen star and blue light. It is beyond the Cemetery where you cannot walk further as the gate is locked.
People got there for a day a few months ago. Apparently there are monsters that deal 500 damage a hit as well. Guess we just have to wait till May 15th.

Level 22
^ I know, when fighting him I'm running all the time cause I know he will appear around, so he swings the air. I didn't need to use even 1 potion with these heal orbs all the time. Like I said, too easy to kill him. I remember when I had to deal with Baal on Hell difficulty in D2, my char died lots of times.

I agree about the won war, they've been making it since Beta was released and Blizz can be happy no one got advantage of it because basically you can only go for a walk in these lands not feel its true playing. Nah I won't be buying it, I'm waiting for HotS, maybe Blizz will release a free and limited version of D3 in a similar way to SC2.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I remember when I had to deal with Baal on Hell difficulty in D2, my char died lots of times.
I remember Baal from Hell as well. He used to just stand there freaking out while I ran circles around him and chatted leaving my merc to slowly kill him. He never could cope with 2 sources of slow at the same time...

Nah I won't be buying it, I'm waiting for HotS, maybe Blizz will release a free and limited version of D3 in a similar way to SC2.
They will, eventually, but not for many months (like StarCraft II). With Heart of the Swarm not even having a release date, it might be a good idea to get Diablo III if you are getting bored with StarCraft II in the mean time.

Level 22
They will, eventually, but not for many months (like StarCraft II). With Heart of the Swarm not even having a release date, it might be a good idea to get Diablo III if you are getting bored with StarCraft II in the mean time.

Bored after 5 months of barely playing any games? Neverrrr. The end of MLP has come I expected it this week not the last one, this means I can finally leave, don't make me repeat it so many times, I know it became tiresome to read it everywhere. Dude, I've always been into 1v1 melee since 2004 War3 when I started, and intend to keep so. No Diablo III or any game will change that, all my friends from starting later than me are Master 1v1 or 1 of them in Grand Master... I always like outplaying oppos, even mapmaking has to be left, thats why never did projects and have no intention. My intention to ever use THW is what I already do with SC2Mapster - from time to time when I do editor stuff to ask questions, not even become active and chit chat like I did for a lot of time.

it gives you a purpose to play a game, fun is outsmarting and winning, fun is achieving... well Diablo is also fun but always too easy with many players. When I want fun I can enter some Custom map I like, that doesn't mean 50-100 games on such FUN maps has any purpose... to me this is a waste of time, now back to D3 topic.

is there anything you're not disappointed from? The quest on the way to Old Tristram was kill 3 of these female zombies that spawn zombies. It was a bonus/side quest
No need to get personal, my friend. I just stated my oppinion based on the D3beta and I don't think there's anything wrong by doing that?

^They all looked the same? Not for me anyway :S Even when I dced and re-logged in, the dungeon I was in had changed.

Hmm... that's not what I meant. The dungeons simply lacked a difference in art style. The only thing that was different between Cathedral 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 was a change of colors. :/
Also, the cathedral looked totally the same as the crypts, which was really weird (the green fog might have fooled some, though).

Don't get me wrong ... D3 will be an awesome game ... but I'm not as crazed about it like I was when SC2 beta ended.

Level 31
A lot of the early D2 areas for a given act looked largely the same (maybe some dif props). Compare Catacombs to Forgotten Tower to Jail to Barracks.

Compare the outside areas as well. They are pretty much just fields of grass. You started getting variance in Act 4 and Act 5, and even in Act 5, the first 2 levels of the WorldStone area or w/e look pretty much identical.

I don't see you complaining about this stuff in Diablo 2 : P. Act 2 looks extremely different from Act 1 and 3 different and etc, just like in Diablo 2. They are in completely different environments: a foresty area (act 1 of D2 and D3), a desert area (act 2 of D2, D3 unknown which act), a swampy area (Act 3 of D2, shown in BlizzCast 17 for D3), an ice area (act 5 of D2, unknown which act for D3), and a hell area (act 4 of D2, last act of D3 (known by Azmodan trailer)).

Level 22
^ He complains about everything that;s not war3 not just D3 and that tells something :/ Now what could be possibly wrong with the graphics? I find them fine, good.. You remember how much I complained around SC2 Beta and PurplePoot constantly bashed everything I disliked, I think he was right. Play more and you will see how it won't bother you, I stopped caring what is missing in bnet 2 or sc2 or even d3. Well, D3 havent played enough to stop caring, I couldn't use a single potion through hotkey which I found wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.