• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Opacity & Occlusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
hi there

i noticed following behavior: if i set the opacity of an actor to anything different than 1 then occlusion refuses to work properly. what does this mean? if a unit walks behind it the occlusion starts, the actor becomes invisible and the unit is visible BUT no effects from buffs etc are shown, only the main unit actor is visible.
this already happens if occlusion is turned off. opacity seems not to work as it is intented.
so what is my question? does anyone (most likely DrSuperGood) have an idea for a work around?
there is no actor event for occlusion ( so i could turn opacity off during occ.)
i need semi-invisible actors, i cannot simple turn opacity off.
i would rather turn occlusion to always on than setting opacity but this is not possible.
game data has no fields for changing occlusion in any aspect.

Level 9
you can test this by yourself very easy.
use a protector and create a haluzination (coloss fits best for this)
you will noticed that haluz have a 70% opacity.
now walk behind that unit with another unit, no selection radius is shown through the unit nor anything else but the main actor of the unit.

what i need is an doodad that has 35% opacity but still showing selection radius, buffs etc on that unit if it is behind that doodad.
any ideas? workarounds? freaky other ideas?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Alpha is notoriously difficult to use. Many optimizations for computer graphics involve stopping pixel shader opperations for geometry that is obscured behind other geometry (tested via a Z buffer). However if the object infront is transparent then the computer will create transparency artifacts as it will not generate pixel information for objects behind. Many effecient work arounds exist but most of them have some kind of limitation to them (such as only supporting basic gometry or a limited number of tiers of alpha).

Status
Not open for further replies.