• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ogre Magi/Mage

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
i wanted to make a one headed ogre magi in wc3 because they dont exist in in classic wc3 ((If)sorry for bad english)

new changes on the model:
teamcolor on the bottom wand
added portrait (different file)
fixed visible head on death
added slam animation from mountain king

Note
havent checked the model on sanity test
Previews
Contents

Ogre Magi (Model)

Portrait (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Useful for some people, but as it is now it is very simple.
There are a lot of issues with the model.
Please fix the following issues:
  • There are a lot of issues and unneded tracks. You need to remove those: Sanity Test
  • There is no portrait file. You need a portrait file or just a camera. A portrait is preferred.
  • An in-game screenshot it required.
  • A proper description is also welcome.
  • The model edit is very poor and extremely basic. You need to make it more unique.
  • There are issues with the geoset animations. The head remains even in the decay animation. This is very bad.
With these severe issues I would recommend you to first improve your skill, ask for input in the modelling forum and then post models as this section is not a place for first tries.

Level 13
Tested this model ingame now, it looks great and works fine as far as i can see.

Pretty sure it's not plural, and it's just mage but sounds slightly different and cooler.
But you're wrong though :) a quick google search could have spared you this incorrect correction. it's because it has two heads (=two people) that the standard unit is called magi. it comes from zoroastrian religion, their priests were called magus. One magus, several magi. "Mage" is just a shortening of magus.

Level 27
I found out that magi is indeed the plural of magus, but it also has meaning if (rarely) used in singular form. Basically, you're right, but technically, I'm not 100% wrong either.

The more I study this language, the more I hate it.

Actually got me thinking why there's no one-headed ogre mages in wc3, even in that clan of one-headed ogres...
Is there any lore behind this?
Yep, I believe originally only Ogre-Magi were two-headed and normal Ogre's were one-headed. Then the lore gets iffy and suddenly even normal Ogres can be two-headed. However TFT almost retcons RoC in a way in the campaigns by making all normal Ogre's one-headed and the mages two-headed like before.

In Warcraft 2 all Ogres are two-headed which only adds to the confusion.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Magi is plural though, this is a mage xD
Technically, magi is the plural of magus, not mage. The plural of the last is mages.
But note that these ogres, in the original lore, have two heads and thus why the plural. What you consider an entity is actually two.
Oh darn, this one has one head, lol, so yeah, either magus or mage.
Oh, I saw your after message. Sorry.

Yep, I believe originally only Ogre-Magi were two-headed and normal Ogre's were one-headed. Then the lore gets iffy and suddenly even normal Ogres can be two-headed. However TFT almost retcons RoC in a way in the campaigns by making all normal Ogre's one-headed and the mages two-headed like before.
Ha-ha, TfT tries to balance Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II. In the first, ogres have one head and in the latter two.

Last edited: