• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Odyssey campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
What about a campaign based off the odyssey? I know it sucks having to study it in high school but seriously it's a good plot, ESPECIALLY for a campaign.

Think about it; you have the bosses laid out right there for you: cyclops, giant dudes, evil tribesmen, sirens, scylla and then at the end the dudes in his house.

So my idea for a mission layout is this:

Opening Cinematic:
Leaving Troy

1st Mission: The lotus tribe, they have captured all of your men and you have to rescue them by sneaking into their camps and opening the cages. It will be very dark and the only way the tribesmen patrols can see you is if you walk in front of their line of sight (a cone of torchlight like this \/ in front of them, and they will walk around)

2nd Mission: Cyclops, make your way to the cave on the island by sneaking past the cyclops who is wandering around the island, but if you get too close you get smushed. Sneak into his cave and replace his wine with your really strong wine. "Kill" him while he is drunk, when he is "dead" he will start shouting at you and throwing rocks and you have to escape to your ship while he throws rolling boulders down the hill.
Short Cutscene: Poseidon talking to Zeus about how to deal with you.

3rd Mission: Circe's island, you have to trick her (will be dialog options to trick her and puzzles and shit) in order to get your men back, and then she will submit and give you gifts, or if you choose the easy way and kill her, you don't get half your men back but you can take all the loot in the palace.

4th Mission:
POSEIDON ATTACKS! You are in a boat and you have to sail from point A to point B while dodging storms, tidal waves and tornadoes as well as battling a sea monster at the end.

5th Mission: You are on your boat with your mini-fleet sailing around in a circle in a whirlpool, every time you go past the cave Scylla the Hydra will stick her 6 heads out of her cave and attack one of your ships. You have to shoot her heads with arrows that are fired like Elune's arrow in DotA.

Cutscene: Your men commit mutiny and eat the golden cattle, you sail back but you are struck by lightning and your crew all die. You wash up on the shores of Ithaca.
Cutscene: You meet up with your son Telemachus and you decide to kill the suitors in your house but you get a plan to do it sneakily.

Mini-Mission 6: The archery contest, you have to do better than the suitors in order to win.

Cutscene:
When you win, Antinous the lead enemy insults you and you do some sweet slow-mo arrow thing where you put an arrow through his face and he goes flying off the table.

Mission 7: You have to get to Penelope to rescue her from suitors who are trying to kidnap her while fighting wave after wave of minibosses.

Mission 8: At the end (although this doesn't happen in the real odyssey) Poseidon comes and smashes through the palace door. Then, Athena comes and gives you insanely godlike powers and you do an epic battle with Poseidon who has uber powers (need to figure them out still) and you have the help of Telemachus and Penelope (penelope is a sorceress)
Not necessary but it might work...

Final Cutscene: tbd.

So, ideas?

Last edited:
Level 4
That sounds like a good idea to me. I don't have any ideas right now, but I'll come back and post if I can think of anything.

Level 27
What would be cool is making it more open, and allowing you to appeal to different gods by doing sidequests, and therefore gaining advantages. However worshiping certain gods may anger other gods, causing them to throw obstacles in your path.
Sure it wouldn't be completely in line with the book, but you can get more creative.
--donut3.5--

Level 8
This is the best idea I've heard in a while, although I would leave out scene 8 (call me a purist).

I would pick it up, but I already have a project. When I'm done with my current thing, I might do this.

Also, studying the Odyssey in high school only sucks because the teachers give you a watered down version, ask retarded questions, (true or false: Poseidon and Odysseus are good friends), and move at a snail's pace.

Level 2
I really like the idea.

I think that's great to make camapigns about real mythology (greek, norse, etc). Because people knows the story beforehand and expects what is going to see, that prevents from confusion. Besides, when somebody reads or listens to this kind of stories, they try to imagine the scene, and WIII makes it visible and playable for you. You don't just watch, you're part of the action!

10/10 for the idea. It has potential to be a great campaign.

One suggestion though, please give some format to your posts, that wall of text hurts my eyes.

Oh, and sorry for my bad english, my main language is spanish :p

Level 36
What would be cool is making it more open, and allowing you to appeal to different gods by doing sidequests, and therefore gaining advantages. However worshiping certain gods may anger other gods, causing them to throw obstacles in your path.
Sure it wouldn't be completely in line with the book, but you can get more creative.
--donut3.5--

Well yeah but then it would be more like an RPG than a campaign...

Level 6
Sounds like a really nice idea. I didn't like the last part though, I always think it's annoying when someone throws in some random idea just "because we could", but it sounds like it could become a fun map some day.

Level 7
That sounds so epic. You should add in minigames too or alternate problems like if you fail the circe thing she turns you into a pig and you have to rally the other pigs to rebel against her... or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.