• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Northern warrior (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
A while ago I decided to try skinning. Unfortunately due to a lack of time, I had to stop. Just recently I decided to try again and am currently working on this guy.

I'm still not sure what to do with the book and the weapon (might go for the sword instead of the hammer). I am still struggling with the unwrap and getting it to look right, but I guess that's the beauty of skinning for warcraft 3.

It is still a work in progress, so critics and tips are more than welcome.

Edit: Small update. Decided to change one of the shoulderpads for some fur, because everyone likes dead animals.

Edit 2: Another small update. Redid the book and tweaked a few things.

Attachments

• Texture_02.jpg
    Texture_02.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Front_View2.jpg
    Front_View2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 3_4_view3.jpg
    3_4_view3.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 419
  • Back_view.jpg
    Back_view.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Texture_03.jpg
    Texture_03.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 3_4_view_4.jpg
    3_4_view_4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

My main issue with this is that you're staying within the design of the original unwrap. You would achieve a more fresh look by not basing your skin on the original skin, but on the model. Try using a wireframe unwrap as reference instead of the original skin, or outline all the pieces yourself and hide the original skin. At least until you learn to think beyond the limitations of the original skin.

Art-wise it's looking pretty nice.

Level 6
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, it's really appreciated. About the wireframe thing, I don't think I'll do it for this one. I think it's a great idea, but I would rather finish this one and then try it on a new project. I did a small research on both google and here, and I unfortunately couldn't find a tutorial on how to get the wireframes. I only managed to display them in the war3 viewer.

Anyway I'll try to update the skin as soon as possible.

Level 15
Wow,good job really nice,i suggest you to add him a little more shading to contrast the shoulderpad with the chest.
You could turn the book into a Tablet of runes or something related to nordic mythology.
Also try redone making the wolfs on his legs,they look good ot the unwrap but because of blizzard shitty models the unwrap wrong on the legs.
For the hammer you could giving him a look like this figure.
il_570xN.182647851.jpg

Good work,keep it up.

Level 6
@ M0rbid: Thanks for the link man.

@Kazzo: I tried what you said with the hammer, and I wasn't really happy with the results. I also tried shaping it to look like an animal head but the awkward wrap made it pretty much impossible to make it look good, so I'm probably going to pick the sword instead.

I'll try to upload a skin for the sword soon, and unless there is something incredibly wrong with the skin I will call it done, because I really want to try a new skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.