• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Could use some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So I'm trying to 100% freehand a skin pertaining to a certain model I like. This is 1 rough (a rather small one) of what I've started on.

Obviously not much done here, however the thing I'm having trouble with is fur, skin is easy, but when it comes to hair and fur I seem to be at a loss. It kind of looks more like feathers if anything... So I guess what I'm asking is, anyone good with fur able to give me some tips? lol

I would try working on other parts of the skin instead first... but as you may well know... taurens have a lot of fur.

Level 4
Is that a hand or a butt-hole?

Anyways, if my mind serves me right, i think there's a lot of fur tutorials on hive.
Hawkwings and Mr Goblins have some rather nice stuff.

Your face is a butthole -.- ...
but thanks. this is the first 5 minutes of a skin here, when have you seen tauren fingers that small? I still have a lot more to work on, so don't count my butthole out yet.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Don't do as the guy above me said. Burn destroys the colour. The best way to make fur is probably by using a small, mid-opacity brush in different shades, drawing lines in generally the same direction.

Level 4
Don't do as the guy above me said. Burn destroys the colour. The best way to make fur is probably by using a small, mid-opacity brush in different shades, drawing lines in generally the same direction.

Hah, sounds good, I'll have to try that. I laugh because what the guy said before is what I do for alot of texturing with skin, kinda just put a base color and mold it into shapes with burn dodge and smudge, then contrast and sharpen it to fit well with current wc3 stuff.

Level 38
One of the tricks with a lot of textures is capturing the overall feel rather than creating a representation of each individual part, so don't draw each strand of hair, rather modify the edges of the highlights and shadows so they give the illusion it is created from a bunch of tiny pieces. Or keep that idea in mind and just look at a picture of something furry, most people draw about three times better when they are looking at what they are trying to draw.

Ha, I use burn and dodge a lot as well. Mostly after I found the color setting that can be applied to brushes, makes everything you paint over the same hue and with the same saturation, which in effect fixes whatever saturation changes burn and dodge cause. You can use just about any tool as long as you can work with the side effects. I'm guessing burn and dodge are frowned upon because most people don't bother to repair the saturation changes it causes

Status
Not open for further replies.