• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

next Phoenix Trial Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
try to be a bit more creative as to such ideas. lets make it the idea we had previous before. we choose a hero and make 4 ability icons for it.

Let's use something already used instead of using something already used, because that is creativity. Excuse me, but that didn't make sense.

As for the chosen theme, you might want to go for unit icons, either remaking Blizzard icons or making icons for custom models/skins (with the original creators' permission of course). That theme hasn't been detailed yet. Also note that the earlier Phoenix trials consisted of a certain themes selected (such as "reflection" or "elements"), what the icons were to resemble depended the users' choice, as far as my information goes. You might want to consider putting up another contest of that sort.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't recommend planning a contest yet, the previous one is still not finished.

Level 30
Yeah, but in my opinion, legs and nearly everything else is easier.

Hands can be pure pain. There's total a lack of adequate icons showing somekind of "hand" interaction in the database.

It's a challenge, nothing less. The comparison between the artistic levels is easier if the theme is restricted, the amount of creativity which needs each contestant to present the set in an unique form will be raised.

Level 35
Imo, a face is much more difficult to make than a hand. Even if we consider a hand only, there must be a criteria saying that the hand has to be detailed properly. I remember seeing a lot of "hand" icons that were merely silhouettes surrounded with some glow.

Level 30
I am speaking of detailed hands.
Faces are nearly symmetrical (under usual circumstances), in position of a choosen theme, people would mostly spare work by abusing such a fact. Hands are forcing them to deal with asymmetrical shapes and more detailed inner shadings.
But you're clearly correct dear Alec, faces are practically challenging as well.
Still, i think of what both the site's section and the mappers will need. And that's a clearly an extended draft through hand interactions, also in comparison to faces.

Black hand icons surrounded with a glow tend to be quite popular, true. But empty space and such can not be counted as part of the artistic piece in challenges and thus, the hand would be not existent and the theme is clearly missed.

Level 25
I vote for a trio icons contest
First one representing Strength
Second one representing Agility
Third Representing Intelligence
icons_4111_btn.jpg
icons_4109_btn.jpg
icons_4110_btn.jpg

(By CRAZYRUSSIAN)
Those are some of the essentials of the game
its better than making icons people will rarely use
plus its a simple but competitive theme

well what do you think about picking 3-4 icons from the category orb effect. like fire, ice, lightning, slow, lifesteal, etc...
mb you like the idea to choose one diablo hero and make 3-4 icons for the abilitys of this hero

I think that closely resembles the Phoenix Trial #3. with elemental icons.

Level 31
Attribute icons is a good idea. but idk, maybe the user could also make a fourth icon, reprensentating a new attribute that he created.

i've seen some maps using different attributes.

i think we could see some original and usefull works with the new one.

anyway, just throwing an idea like this.

-I call for.. warcraft ARTEFACT (Grom hellscream axe, Sylvanas bow, Muradin's hammer, etc.)

-FOOD (Cooky icon, cake icon, eags, pie, etc.)

-Warcraft hero icon (remake an icon for 1 of the warcraft hero)

-Unit spell (make a icon for a spell un-existing spell for 1 unit, ex: Berserk for the Grunt, or Slavery for Raiders.)

Status
Not open for further replies.