• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next best thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Sadly, I no longer have 3ds max 5, only 7. However, I'd like to do some Wc3 Modeling, so I wonder, what is the next best program (free, like Gmax) I could get? Also, could I technically make models in 3ds Max, export them using some sort of filetype, import them into another program that uses the Art Tools, and finish it there?

Thanks in advance,

iron_warrior.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaand I got the Model ingame with animations. Thanks to everyone who helped, and yeah it's a pain animating in Milkshape, but it's far better than nothing. RDZ Clearly helped the most.

Last edited:
Level 3
milkshape animates and allows models, but you can get oinker winkles for free i think the links are in the modelling section

Level 45
Oinkerwinkles is a model EDITING tool, although olof and such has utilized the program well to make some nice meshes.

I use max 5/8 (i dont get art tools or dope sheet at all) to make the mesh and unwrap, so i then export to .3ds, import it in milkshape ($25eur, 30 free day trial though). I then rig and animate there,then I export. A hassle... that isnt bug free but its a away around things.
http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ = milkshape
http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=86308 = milky to wc3,exporter

Level 12
You can animate with warshape, I don't think it works ever so well though. Nasrudin worked out some of its issues though. You can find it here.

If you try to animate in gmax I am pretty sure the exporters are buggy.

You could animate in Milkshape, the exporters for that are getting better. This tutorial has a brief part about animating. Look at this tutorial also.

Status
Not open for further replies.