• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NewGen Object IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Greetings Hive!

I have some questions about object IDs in the NewGen editor. I love this version of the editor, but I've hit a real snag in the development process.

I can't make new buildings if they are based on other buildings because the game recognizes the new buildings as being the same as the old. -IE research and tech type does not work - I can build a barracks with a lumber mill when I actually need a farm, but the lumber mill was based on the farm so the game thinks that the mill is actually a farm.

Now I notice that NewGen prompts me to set a unit id when I copy a base unit to make a new unit. I tried setting new IDs and this helped in the unit identification in game, however, it caused a host of new problems.

1. The new units became heroes in game -even if they were structures-
2. Copies of these units were the exact same unit and were not separate from each other in the unit palette.
3. All sorts of weird unit data errors.
4. Horrible map crash where I lost an entire version of the map, while trying to figure out the problem with the unit IDs.

Question: What do I need to do to make unique unit IDs without corrupting what I make in the unit editor?

Is there a specific format? Can I make my own IDs without having to use preset IDs already assigned to normal WC3 units?

Definitely stuck here :/

Thanks for your time guys.

Level 21
I can't make new buildings if they are based on other buildings because the game recognizes the new buildings as being the same as the old. -IE research and tech type does not work - I can build a barracks with a lumber mill when I actually need a farm, but the lumber mill was based on the farm so the game thinks that the mill is actually a farm.

Now I notice that NewGen prompts me to set a unit id when I copy a base unit to make a new unit. I tried setting new IDs and this helped in the unit identification in game, however, it caused a host of new problems.

1. The new units became heroes in game -even if they were structures-
2. Copies of these units were the exact same unit and were not separate from each other in the unit palette.
3. All sorts of weird unit data errors.
4. Horrible map crash where I lost an entire version of the map, while trying to figure out the problem with the unit IDs.

Question: What do I need to do to make unique unit IDs without corrupting what I make in the unit editor?

Is there a specific format? Can I make my own IDs without having to use preset IDs already assigned to normal WC3 units?

Definitely stuck here :/

Thanks for your time guys.

1. All heroes start with a huge letter ('Hpal'), while non-heroes do not ('hfoo')
2. They are the same until you change their stats. I don't get what's the problem here. Chance icon and they are different in unit palette too.
3. Such as?
4. I do not set custom ID. The prompt that JNGPE gives you has a working ID in it by default(the next available).

It's also possible that you have a corrupt version of newgen.

Level 6
That's possible. Maybe something happened with the editor. Everything seemed to be working fine up until this point. I hope the map itself isn't broken.

Any steps I should take aside from just finding another version of the editor?

Also, the default ID it has been giving me is h00(number or letter) every time I make a unit. I think some of my units may have been given the same ID.

Thanks

Level 21
That's possible. Maybe something happened with the editor. Everything seemed to be working fine up until this point. I hope the map itself isn't broken.

Any steps I should take aside from just finding another version of the editor?

Also, the default ID it has been giving me is h00(number or letter) every time I make a unit. I think some of my units may have been given the same ID.

Thanks

The editor never gives the same IDs to multiple units. I used to put my own IDs in that prompt. I only did that until one of my units kept getting replaced by a doom guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.