• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New Unnamed project: Coders needed the most

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
A few of my friends and I are starting a project that we will begin work on in January, we are just using this month to assemble the necessary people to start the project. As it is is just beginning, we have no name for it, but we will come up with a name soon.

Here is the basic idea of the map as it is right now, though small details may change. It is a 3-way AoS, the three teams(as of right now, this may change) are demons, humans and orcs. Of course, these being alliances, the heroes coming from each of these will span a multitude of races. The buildings and base units, however, will be from these teams. The map will have a total of 3 lanes, each side having 2 connecting it to the other two sides. The suggested map size is 4v4v4.

Many of my friends, including myself, have no experience in map coding, and have only been constructing the ideas first. However, we do understand, in most cases, what is and isn't codable for a map.

We are mainly seeking out coders simply because we have none as of right now, as well as artists to make icons and custom heroes and/or skins, however, we will accept other people as well if they express interest in it. The concepts will all be laid out, and so if your a person who only likes dealing with coding, and not the concepts, it will be pretty straight forward. If you do want to be involved in both concepts and coding or art, or maybe a bit of all three, thats also fine.

Forums should be up soon, and our activities will increase a lot after finals are over, as we are all students.

Level 31
Take a look at this:

Note
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, decided to post this all under a new thread since the old one had the wrong title, all the features were spread out all over the place, and everything was whack, lol. I also once again changed the name of the project because the name Farcry sucks ><. This will be the absolute name change, no more. Also, from now on, all new features will go under this post in an organized manner. No more spreading everything out all over the place. Hopefully this thread will be a lot more organized and better than the last thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report- 1
In desperate need of good terrainers (this will include terrain the inside of the bases, landscaping, and hero creation areas). I'm also in desperate need of someone who can make a few low kb models (outposts, strongholds, fortresses, some war machines, some units, some doodads for the inside of the bases, some weapon models, some spell ability models). I'm also in desperate need of an artist to make a loading screen and a preview screen.
Email: [email protected]
MSN: [email protected]
PM: Do I really need to say this? lol

Report- 2
Ok, I seem to have gotten a lot of people adding me to MSN. However, I don't know who any of them are :p, so guys, please post on here telling me what you're going to do, kk, lol : D

Also, everyone should continue to check this post for updates because i don't think there will be very many replies on it this time since I decided to organize it : )

Report- 3
So, after screwing around for 2 full days with different save/load codes, I'm finally frustrated. If you recall, this will have the 2 diff gameplay modes, so I figured it'd be fun to make the save/load codes now. Well... First I studied Acehart's because it looked easy. When I picked up an item, it added 4-8 digits to the code, so I thought, heck no. Then I looked at Effane's, studied that for 8 or so hours. I then realized that it couldn't use lower case letters... it screws up the code. I said, heck no. I then looked at Neostorm's. I shot myself 3x in the foot and yelled at the bits, lol. I tried modifying it but I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and there were no explanations. Because I needed to modify the code so much, I said, heck no, and shot myself in the foot more times.

So officially, I need a code that will work off of 2 different save/load codes and merge them together in a scrambley fashion. This will make it impossible to crack : D.
First:
This will be our stored information. It's encryption will be based off of the second, which is based off of randomness and an encryption in the map plus some special random values unique for each game :D.
So, it should store our classes, stats, gold, lumber, integer variables, points, items (based on an item system below which I am also going to beat to death with a club and shoot myself in the foot ><. Yea, I spent my time with that too. After awhile, I decided to look at InvX system. I understood it very quickly, atleast what it was doing from reading the FAQ. Tried remaking it in GUI. I know how to do the item menus, but... equipping them and moving them from place to place and so on, that's... zamg -.-), strings... just everything, lol.
Q: Is the save/load code evil?
A: Not if you're a player. If you're the programmer, then it can be very evil... evil evil evil
Oh, the save/load code should also include custom values of items, flags, custom values of units, point values of units, player name, and so on.
Now the next part is the part I actually got down, but making it the encryption, bleh. I know how to spread it out. Ok, so this will pretty much be a 5 code thingy (it adds 5 to your total code. Although it can be encrypted, it will only be translated over. It can't be decreased at all beacause this is like your second library). Ok, so... You set a variable array of 5 to 5 different integers from 1 to 70 (this is the size of the total alphabet). You run a for loop with an if statement to make sure none of them equal each other. You set your encryption code for the first part of your save/load code to this part + the first of 2 map encryption thingy's that will be used to encrypt. Encrypt your entire first part of the code, then use the 2nd of the 2 encryption thingies to encrypt your second part of the code. Then scatter out the second code all over the first code. Make sure to have the placements pre-set. One might be the first or second digit of the code and so on. When you decrypt it, first take out your second code by using your preset placements. Decrypt it using second decryption of 2. From there, add it to your first decryption of 2. Decrypt the first part of the code : ). Voila, impossible to be cracked because the entire code will change every time. You can also add some extra encryption settings, like instead of 2 different codes, you might have 10 different encryption codes, 5 for first save/load code, 5 for second save/load code. Pick a random one from first, save your index and add it to the save code, pick random one from second, save your index. You can also set a unique game variable to the player that is different every game and add it to the code and encryption. Well, that's what I want to do anyways. Over-all, the code should be 8 digits of encryption and 6+ digits of code. So a save/load code should probably be around 20-24 digits, which is not too bad at all. I'd be using 70 counters with a color coding system to make the codes smaller and make it so players have an easier time writing out the code. The code should also be in blocks of 4.
Do I have any idea how to do any of this besides the scrambler?
I have a some idea, but I'd never be able to do it without being taught by someone else or getting out a JASS Read-Me book and studying it for a week. I'd rather the settings be in GUI and the actual engine be in JASS. The settings should make it easy to edit the over-all save/load code, like choose how many variables you want to be saved, have one for saving points, integers, strings, and so on, and the engine will auto-update based on the settings : ). Or, if someone could teach me, lol.

So, to make a long story short, I'm looking for someone to help out with the hero inventory system, spawning station system (the charges and so on are killer), and the save/load system, and the bloody ranged attack... From now on, if I see a bow or an arrow, I am going to burn them. BURN! :p

So, please, help

Updates to Post
1- Updated Heroes Section (General Hero Information) (2-20-07 9:34 PM PST)
2- Updated Heroes Section (Hero Class List) (2-21-07 3:45 PM PST)
3- Updated Bases Section (Fortresses, Strongholds, Outposts) (2-21-07 3:45 PM PST)
4- Added a Staff List section (2-21-07 3:56 PM PST)
5- Added a Mode Section (2-21-07 3:56 PM PST)
6- Added Summary Section (2-21-07 4:30 PM PST)
7- Updated Mode Section (save/load mode) (2-21-07 4:30 PM PST)
8- Added Screenshot Section (2-21-07 5:00 PM PST)

Staff List
Terrainers: 1
Triggerers: 1
Modelers: 0
Loading Screen/Preview Screen Artists: 0
Object Editor Design: 0
Game Interface Design: 0
Icon Artists: 0

Final Dominion
Summary:
Final Dominion is an AoS type game with a new combat system based on energy, morale, strategy, fortresses, strongholds, and outposts. Like a regular AoS, untis spawn at certain points of time, but what's unique about this is you get to choose what spawns for your team based on a point system. You get an amount of points based on the number of players on your team and based on how long the game has been going on. Bases also have an amount of points based on other how many bases you control. In this game, you can also command Generals and Lieutenants to attack bases, defend bases, use special abilities such as Ambush, or hold their position. The Inventory System for heroes is entirely new. There are item restrictions based on class, stats, levels, and so forth as well. This game will also have unique game modes, such as save/load mode, which allows you to load up a Ladder Hero from an RPG that will be made after this map is done, and regular mode, which is just the regular game.

Combat:
Energy:
Energy (mana) is extremely important in this game. When you move, you lose energy based on how large your movement speed is. When you attack, you use up energy. When your energy reaches zero, you move at half speed. The damage you take is heavily dependent on how much energy you have. If you have 70 energy and take 1250 dmg, you might only take 60 dmg instead. When you take dmg though, your energy decreases based on how much energy you have and how much damage you took. The more energy you have, the more energy you end up losing (not based on percentage). Armor is used to decrease the energy lost in this matter. If you are a caster, you are likely to have 5 or so hp and 300 or so mana, meaning you might lose all of your mana when you get hit, but only 1 hp. With low mana (10), you might lose 1 mana. With 400 mana without armor, you might lose all 400 mana.

Morale:
Morale is based on how many allied units you have within a certain range of your unit. Each unit recieves morale. Based on the power of the unit, the unit contributes a certain amount of morale. Heroes generally give 1 morale if the unit is close buy, and less as you go farther out such as a multitude of rings. 10 Regular units might give 1 morale. The maximum amount of morale is 10 morale, which gives a 50% boost to things such as fortitude (strength), agility, and energy (intelligence), and a 50% boost to armor and damage. 5 Morale gives no decrease to all and no boost to all. 0 Morale gives a 50% decrease to all.

Spawning:
Summoning Stations are buildings that each player gets. In a regular AoS game, units just spawn every 30 seconds and that is it. With a Summoning Station, you get points based on how many players are on your team. The equation is 50/number of players on your team, so if you are solo, you aren't overrun by units. The Summoning Station has different units. Each one costs a different amount of points and contributes in a different way, but you can only summon 1-2 of these per round, so it's a team effort to create good combinations of units. When you click a unit, your total points goes down and its charge goes up by 1, this means every round the computer will create 1 of that type of unit. If you click it again, it will create 2 of that type of unit every round. There is a reset button in case you want to change the types of units you are spawning. As time goes on, your points increases and your unit spawns increase and diversify. Also, you can equip your units with various types of weapons. You will see the significance of this if you decide to go to the link above and read on about the combat systems. You can also equip with different types of armor, boosts, and so on. Some units will simply be morale boosters, meaning they might give 1 morale to all units in a give range.

Heroes:
Hero General Information:
The camera will be locked on to your hero to add more strategic elements into the game. This will mean you can more easily be ambushed and players will be forced to communicated and use scouts to check out areas.

Hero Class List:
Warrior:
This class specializes in melee fighting. It can included builds such as Assassins, full on fighters, defenders, paladins, shadow knights, and so forth.
Bards:
Bards are major support units that can form morale support, damage support, and so forth. These can be spread out all over the place instead of focused as well.
Ranged Attcker:
These can include such builds as damage, detriment (such as poison or slow), splash (more grenadier style), and so forth.
Spell Caster:
These can include summoners, damage spikers, life stealers, spell breakers, healers, warrior casters (very interesting combo using a special type of armor to make yourself nearly invincible. Almost no attack, and terrible for most of the game, but once the combo is achieved, almost impossible to be killed. This build also requires the use of Shielding Spells and Shielding Enchantments).

Hero Creation:
When the game begins, first you choose your class. Currently, the classes are warrior, archer, and sorcerer. After that, you choose your model. All models have 0 in all stats. From there, you distribute your stat points (500). 1 str = 1 hp, 1 agility = 1 movement speed, 1 int = 1 energy. After that, you can choose your first ability. Some abilities require weapons to use. You don't need an ability to attack, all weapons come with their own abilities, which are low mana cost and weaker than your custom abilities. When you add your first ability, you get to choose from a list of 10 abilities based on your class. Warriors might have 1 or 2 spell abilities and 8 or 9 weapon abilities. Archers might be 6-7 bow and 3-4 spell. Sorcerer might be 1-2 summon, 1-2 spiked damage, 1-2 heal, and so on.

Hero Growth:
There are three ways your hero can get stronger. The first is by kill points. Whenever you kill a unit, you get a certain amount of kill points based on the unit you killed. 10 Kill points is translated into 1 stat point that can be distributed into any stat you want. The second way to get stronger is by regular levels. Regular levels are based on heroes you kill and generals you kill. You don't get exp from regular monsters. When you get a level, you recieve 1 skill point that, via a menu, you can use to increase the level of a skill you have. The third way to get stronger is an evolution level. You may only get evolution points by killing Generals, which are very strong monsters that spawn for the opposing team. When you evolve, you get to choose a new model (all stats and abilities transfer over), and you get to choose a new ability.

Items:
Weapons:
Weapons add to a units attack (units have no attack, period). You click the weapon to attack (all this does is make your unit attack in front of him, it doesn't allow you to choose who you want to attack or anything). The first wep I made was a Copper Spear (+1) that has 1250 dmg, 2 second cooldown, 160 range, 40 degree radius for attack, and costs 3 energy to use.

Item Creation:
In the game, there will be Power Stones which are used to create more powerful items at a forge. You simply take a +1 item, use a power stone on it, and it increases to +2. With special power stones, you can add stats to it and even increase its quality from perhaps Copper to Iron, Iron to Steel, and so on. This can decrease the cool down time, increase the range, increase the damage, and increase the attack radius of the weapon. It can also add special attributes such as mana siphon, life steal, and elemental attacks. At one point, you can even change these items into artifacts. All items bought from the shops start out as +1 items. The shops sell the various stones to improve your items. You can also go hunting for these stones on creeps. The only way to get artifact stones is to kill generals.

Item Restrictions:
You can not have more than 1 type of any given item in this game. You can't wield more than 1 weapon, you can't hold more than 1 shield, more than 1 piece of armor, and so on. Items are also based on Class. If you are a warrior and you are trying to pick up a spell-book, you won't be able to pick it up.

Bases:
Regions:
The map will be split up into different regions. Each region will have a specific team code and a number of bases. If a team controls all of the bases in a given region, that team gains control of that region meaning the team code changes over to that team. If a team controls a region, that team gets global morale boost for that region. If no team controls all of the fortresses of a region, that region remains neutral and no team gets a morale boost. If a team has no fortresses within a given region, that team gets a global morale decrease for that region.

Bases in General:
Bases are simply buildings that you can go inside and outside of. This means that all you will see when you go to a base is a large building and entrances into it. When you go into an entrance, you move inside of the building (based on a teleport / secluded area system, which is used by most MMORPG’s to give the illusion that you have actually entered the building). Bases also have a limited number of units that can be on the field at any given time so that teams cannot build up armies with hold current position, or special abilities such as Ambush.

Outposts:
Bases that generally have 2-4 entrances and are the smallest of all the bases. The base size of an outpost is roughly ¼ the size of a full scale footmen wars map. An outpost is defined as being connected to 1 or 2 different bases, meaning it will generally have 1-2 paths going out of its area. Outposts spawn a low amount of units. In the game, there are 15 outposts. 6 of these outposts (3 for each team) start under team control. They are also located within the main region for the owning team. The maximum number of units that can be on the field at one time with any given outpost is 15 units.

Strongholds:
Bases that generally have 2 entrances and are the size of 1.5 outposts. They are generally connected to 3 other bases. The game will have 7 strongholds, 2 of which start under team control (1 for each team). The maximum number of units that can be on the field at one time with any given stronghold is 22 units.

Fortresses:
Bases that generally have 1 entrance and are the size of 2 Outposts. They are generally connected to 4-5 other bases. The game will have 3 of these, none of which start under team control. The maximum number of units that can be on the field at one time with any given fortress is 30 units.

Main Bases:
There are only 2 Bases, both of which start under team control (1 for each team). These main camps are roughly the size of 3 Fortresses. For a team to win, they must take over the main camp. The maximum number of units that can be on the field at one time with any given main base is 45 units.

Take Overs:
To take over a neutral base (meaning it is controlled by no one), all you have to do is walk into it. To take over an enemy base, you must destroy all enemy units "within" the base.

Base Spawnage
Each camp is connected to other camps through triggers. The paths dictate how many bases they are connected to (a path will always lead to another base. All bases along a path are not counted. Only the closest one is counted). The base must be in some way connected to the main base (either directly, which is only with the starting bases, or through other bases) to spawn units. If a connection is severed (meaning all bases connecting to this base that have a viable path to the main base are not under your team's control), then that base will no longer spawn any units. Each base will have a spawning station for each player on that team, each with a number of points based on the base type and the number of players on that team. All units spawned (besides those of the main heroes) go under computer control.

Inventory Features:
Intro:
There have been issues with the size of the inventory for this game.

One of the issues is the Spawning Station. With the spawning station, only 4 types of spawns are able to be shown.

The other issue is the inventory of the hero. As many of you know, my item system is based on let's say a regular ORPG where you can only wield 1 weapon, 1 shield, and so forth. However, after thinking about this, in the end, you'll only have equipment with no room for potions, stones, or anything else.

Spawning Station Inventory (Page 1):
The Spawning Station will now consist of:
Points Display: Displays the number of points you have left
Reset Button: Resets your points
Spawning Button: There will be 3 of these per page
Menu Button: Returns you to the main Menu

The Main Menu will consist of:
Support Troops Button:
First choose your support troop type, whether it be buff, healing, morale, and so forth. It brings you to a Tier Menu where you can choose from Tier 1 to Tier 5, ranging from cheapest/weakest to most expensive/strongest

Combat Troops Button:
Combat troops are melee damage troops.
This button brings you to another menu where you can choose-
quick-moving units that are low hp and are able to carry light weaponry
Heavy Units that are very slow, high hp, and can carry very heavy weaponry normally used for sieging
Well, you get the idea

Ranged Troops Button:
Same as melee but for ranged

Spell Support Troops Button:
First you choose an element. Units are weak to certain elements. Then again, they might also be weak to certain attack types (weaponry) for the regular combat troops shown above.

Global Reset Button:
Resets your points completely. The Global Resets button located on the unit menus only reset points for those units.

Next Page Button:
Goes to the next page of the Main Menu

Spawning Station Inventory (Page 2):
Lieutenants:
These guys give morale boosts to units around them and can lead units under a general. These guys do not automatically spawn for your team. Units cannot attack on their own, they must be following an officer. This guy can lead your units to attack an area. A Lieutenant must be under the command of a general (it doesn't matter where that general is on the map). Players can order their lieutenants to a certain extent. Some of these commands are to attack a base, defend a base, or use a special strategic ability (such as ambush).

Generals:
Generals are very powerful and expensive units that give major morale boosts to units around it. 1 General can lead 1 Lieutenant. Each team starts off with 2 Generals spawning for it, meaning each team can attack in 2 areas. Generals spawn every round just like regular units and give special evolution points when killed by a player. These points are not shared and only go to that player who did the most damage to a given general. Players can order their generals to a certain extent. Some of these commands are to attack a base, defend a base, or use a special strategic ability (such as ambush).

War Machines:
War Machines range from flying contraptions to catapults to ballistae to cannons and so forth. These are very powerful and very expensive slow moving extremely high hp and heavily armored machines.

Spawning Station Equip Items to Units:
The Spawning Station will have many spellbook abilities wherein are buttons you can press to equip certain items to units. Each unit has a base item that is equipped for 0 points, but to change the weapon of that type of unit and increase the damage of it, you must spend points. These points can be rest as regular with a special Reset button on the ability portion of the Spawning Station.

An example of a Spellbook Identity Includes-
Heavy Infantry Equipment:
Here, you are faced with the weaponry button and armor button.
The weaponry button shows you the different types of weaponry, because, if you remember, the damage type of weapon might be stronger against one unit than another. Weaponry is also categorized into light, heavy, machinery, and so forth.
Armor is the same way as weaponry ><

Hero Inventory:
Main Menu:
The Main Menu has 6 Buttons on it

Combat Menu Button:
The Combat Menu button goes to your weapons so you can quickly attack and defend. If you posses a certain ability called Dual Wield, you can use 2 weapons instead of 1 (keep in mind the second weapon takes up the places of the shield). In the Combat Area, you have any weapons equipped, any shield equipped, and any activated things like potions for restoring energy/hp or summoning stones. The final slot has a button that returns you to your main menu.

Inventory Menu Buttons (Inventory level, meaning 1-4):
The Inventory Menu consists of 5 regular slots and a button that returns you to your main menu. These slots hold any items you pick up. You can increase the size of this with backpacks, which may hold anywhere from 2-5 items depending on the quality of the backpack. Keep in mind though, items do have weight, so the more you carry, the more energy you lose in the process. Some back-packs might reduce the weight of items within, even up to 100%. Equipped items do not go into the inventory.

Equipment Menu Button:
This just displays your equipment menu. In this menu are the equipped weapon/shield/ammunition, equipped armor (helm, breastplate, leggings, boots, gauntlets), equipped accessories (rings, amulets, earrings), and equipped charms. From these menus you can un-equip items meaning they go back to your inventory. If there is not enough room in your inventory, they are dropped. In your inventory, you can equip items. This just replaces the equipped item with the item you are equipping.

Gameplay Modes:
Save/Load Mode:
After this map is developed, I will begin work on an RPG map using this map's features and models. It will have 2 empires that fight against each other. The save/load mode will allow you to load your heroes in from the RPG game to fight against other heroes. This will allow for interesting clan battles. I'll have some major anti-cheat guards in place for the save/load codes. In the RPG game itself, there will be 2 types of heroes. One will be a Ladder hero, which is your serious game player hero. The Hero Load code of this hero will be compatible with Final Dominion. The other type will be a regular hero which is not compatible. Ladder heroes are much harder to level up. Also, in save/load mode, the create hero option will be disabled and all hero growth will be disabled. Also, in this mode, all items bought in the game or lost in the game are not permanent and will not be included in your save. The only thing that saves to the hero is whether he won or loss, an add to the amount of Ladder Games he has played, and a possible rank up. In this mode, you can get permanent item rewards (items that do stick to your hero when saved) for winning a certain amount of games, completing a certain amount of games, achieving a certain rank, taking over bases by yourself, and so forth. However, they must be legit games. In this mode, no Single Player is allowed. Also, it will have checks to see whether the game is legit or not. I will not disclose these checks.

Regular Mode:
This is pretty self explanatory.

Level 1
Im not sure why you posted your own map in a request for coders. first of all its nothing like the one im proposing besides the fact that its based around heroes.
Im looking for coders and artists, not people who are spamming my thread with their map

Level 1
Haha Ok my mistake. I thought for a second you were one of those guys that spams their own idea on other peoples posts so that more people will look at it... Yeah thanks for the ideas. Ill take a look at them more in depth soon. Any chance you would want to join the group that Im making. We are in desperate need of people like you. If you want more info, just let me know. That was kind of more of an overview so people wouldnt have to read wallls of text

Level 1
Thanks so much. However, as I said earlier, we start january, so nothing has started yet. I wanted to assemble the team and start the forums this month

Status
Not open for further replies.