• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New to World Editor?? Check this out!

Level 4
Are you new to Warcraft 3's World Editor? If you are then this tutorial is for you.

First I want to start by saying that things won't come easy to make, but as you progress further you will learn more and become a lot more productive on map making with the World Editor. Lets learn the basics.

How To Start a Map
To Start a map you have to go to File on the top left part of the screen, and click New Map...

Terrain Editor
To Edit the maps Terrain you have to go to Layer then click Terrain.
Making terrain requires practice, and trial and error. Make sure you make complex terrain with hills, trees, doodads, lakes, rivers, and different Terrain types.

Object Editor
In the Object editor you can create, edit, and delete units, items, abilities, buffs, and doodads. You can change almost everything on an object from using this editor. Its pretty simple and self explanatory to use, and you should be able to figure out how without my help.

Campaign Editor
This Editor does not need to be touched for new mapmakers, almost every map doesn't use this editor, and I wouldn't recommend to even bother with it.

Trigger Editor
This is probably the most important editor that needs to be learned to make a good map. In this tutorial we will be doing some things with it so you can get the hang of it. But I'm going to explain it to you in a couple sentences.
When you open it up and make a new trigger you see that there's a things called EVENT, CONDITION, ACTION. The Event is something that happens in game. Lets say a unit goes into a certain spot, that would be the event. The Condition is the requirements there are for the action to be made. When those requirements are met It will do the actions you put. The Action is the thing that happens after an event. Let me give you an example of a trigger. When a unit casts a spell like Kamikaze for example a trigger would have to be used to make the unit die. Lets make the Kamikaze spell right now!

Step 1: Go to Object Editor, and go to the abilities bar. Click on create custom ability. Go to Hero, and go all the way down and click War Stomp. Click on the spot where it says art caster then click on the model and click edit model. Make it something explosion like.

Step 2: Change the Icon Normal and Icon research to whatever you like.

Step 3: Go down to tooltip learn and change it to Learn Kamikaze.

Step 4: Click on Tooltip learn extended and change the description to whatever you would like.

Step 5: Change the damages to something high like 500-1000

Step 6: Then change the Tooltip Normal, and Tooltip Normal Extended.

Step 7: Put it on some hero that you would want to play as to test the ability.

Step 8: Now the "Hard" part go to trigger editor and make a new trigger. Make it look exactly like this!

• Kamikamze
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit stops casting an ability
  • Conditions
  • (Ability being cast) is equal to Kamikaze
  • Actions
  • Wait 1.00 seconds
  • Unit - Kill casting unit
CONGRATULATIONS YOU'VE JUST MADE A TRIGGERED SPELL.
Now lets test it out.
First of all go back to the trigger editor there should be a trigger called melee initialization, delete all the actions in it!
Now go to your map and create the hero with kamikaze and then create some enemy units. Click test map and try it out. If you did it right it should work perfectly!

MORE COMING ON THIS TUTORIAL SOON....

Level 17
Learn people to use triggering unit, teach them the basics about variables, etc.

You might want to explain the trigger.