• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editor Help

Level 12
This thread offers step by step tutorials no how to do basic things with the editor.

This thread is made for noobs and to help them out. I will continue attaching maps to this thread.

I can take some requests, pm me n illl see if i can do it.[or if its even possible in the 1st place]

Each map is a tutorial about basic editor stuff.

This thread is for people new to the editor and who wish to learn fast.

Open the map in the editor and click on the trigger editor (the 'a' under the |Files|edit|view| bar)
All the step by step descriptions are in there.

I dont mind you copying my triggers, its completely fine.

Things you have to do before you make a game

-Go to Melee initilization

-Delete these triggers

1) Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players) ---------------------------------------------- This trigger ends the game if there are no more players left/no computer players or ends the game if all your buildings are destroyed. (you must get rid of this trigger if you are making a custom game)

2) Create starting units (for all players) ------------------------------------------------------------------- This trigger creates a town hall and pesents/peons/wisps/acolytes at a players start loactaion.

3) Remove creeps and critters from all used start locations (for all players) ------------ This trigger removes all neutral units from start loactions. ie: creeps or circles of power.

4) Set starting resources( for all players) ---------------------------------------------------------------- This trigger gives all players a set ammount at gold and lumber at the begining of the game.

Delete the triggers that interfear with you map, leave the rest.
These triggers are important for some games working correcctly.

Heres what you do-

1- Create a area of the map where no player or computer can reach (flying or swimming)

2- Place circles of power, directly infront of where your heros are going to be.
[ Circles of Power are located in the unit palette(place where you place units) under] --------------------------------> -Neutral Passive
[If you want to change their facing - select the heros, hold ctrl and press the left mouse button in the desired direction] ^ -Campaign

3- Place your heros behind the circles.

4- Double click the heros and make them belong to neutral passive (so you cant control them)
[Press space while on the unit palette then select the heros and press enter. Then go to -Player --> Neutral Passive]

5- Create a unit that will pick the heros
[ Go to object editor (the icon of the helmet)
|
|FILE | EDIT | VIEW | LAYER | SENAIRO | TOOLS | ADVANCED | MODULE | WINDOW | HELP |
| {Helmet is here}
|
Then go to
-NightElves
-Wisp

Copy and paste the wisp.
[ 'ctrl+c' for copy||| 'ctrl+p' for paste]
This will create a new 'CUSTOM' unit

When the new wisp is selected go to
- Abilities Normal
[This is at the very top of the list]
Double click this line.
Select a ability and press the | DELETE ABILITY | button.
[This will remove all its abilities so its cant cast spells like 'Detonate']

Go to the near bottom of the list to
-Techtree - Structures Built
[The 11th line from the bottom]
And delete all the buildings like you did for the abilities
[This makes sure your wisp cannot build any buildings while choosing a hero]

You can (if you want) rename the wisp
Go to
-Text - Name
Double Click and change the name.

--NOW YOUR HERO PICKER IS READY--

To make the PICKER choose a hero-

1) make regoins
[go to the unit palette- where it says units choose regoin]

2) make regoins at the circles of powers
[ they have to be the size of the circle]
[Look at regoins red/blue/green/yellow]

3) Place your picker in the midle of the picking area.
[The picker/wisp can be found in] -Units
-Night Elf
-Custom

4) Make a trigger like Trigger 1
-event
unit enters region[area in circle ext to a hero

-action
Unit
->kill tirggering unit
->create 1[hero near the circle that the picker entered] at region[where you want the hero to spawn

Camera
-Pan camera for player 1 red
to center of regoin[area where hero will be spawned]
[the trigger can be found in the demo]
[You can copy the trigger. I dont mind]

5) Make a trigger for all the heros.
[in trigger 1 change the regions and the unit(paladin) to fit you needs]
[the trigger states that. When a unit enter the red area. The unit ill die and you will get a Paladin at a regoin]

This trigger was made for Chickay..
What it does is...

Hero picks up a wepon, the wepon give loads of boosts but has a chance of missing.

1) Make an item, anything you want.

2) Go to the object editor
[The helmet icon under | File | Edit | View | Layer | Senario | Tools | Advanced | Module | Window | Help |
{here}]

3) Go to the ability section.
Go to => Neutral Hostile and copy and paste the evasion(neutral hostile) spell.

4) Name the spell something else [so you can find it easily]
[The name is near the bottom of the list once you select the ability]

5) Edit the "Chance to Evade" area.
10 is 100%
This will be how your hero misses the enemy
So you will have to edit how much it misses by to what ever you want.

6) Go to the trigger ADDdodge [this is in the demo map]
OR
Create a trigger

Event=> [unit][specific unit event]
Unit [your hero] aquires an item

-This basicly says, when you hero picks up an item, do the actions suggested below.

Condition=>[Item type comparisin]
Item type of [edit to item bieng maipulated][click on it and change last created item to 'item bieng manipulated'] is equal to [select your item]

-This prevents the action from taking place unless the conditions are met, in this case, the item thats picked up has to = the item that you want enemy un its to evade.

Action=>Unit group
Pick every unit in playeble map area, owned by [the enemy you want to miss when you pick up the item] and do actions.

Then create an action in the loop actions list

Loop Actions=> [unit][add ability]
Add [your evasion ability] to [edit this to "picked unit"]

-This says add the ability to all units beonging to [whoever you selected] to gain the ability [whatever you selected]

------------DONE WITH ADDING THE ABILITY----------------------------
--------REMOVING THE EVASION WHEN THE HERO LOOSES THE ITEM--------

1) Go TO the trigger REMOVEdodge
OR
Create a trigger

Event=> [unit][specific unit event]
Unit [your hero] looses an item

-This says , when you hero drops the item, do the actions below

Condition=>[Item type comparisin]
Item type of [edit to item bieng maipulated][click on it and change last created item to 'item bieng manipulated'] is equal to [select your item]

-This prevents the action from taking place unless the conditions are met, in this case, the item thats picked up has to = the item that you want enemy un its to evade.

Action=>Unit group
Pick every unit in playeble map area, owned by [the enemy you want to remove the miss when you drop the item] and do actions.

Then create an action in the loop actions list

Loop Actions=> [unit][remove ability]
Remove [your evasion ability] to [edit this to "picked unit"]

-This says remove the ability to all units beonging to [whoever you selected] to loose the ability [whatever you selected]

AND YOUR DONE 8D

IF YOU USE MY SYSTEMS OR TRIGGERS IN YOU MAP, OR IF I HAVE HELPED YOU SOVE A PROBLEM; CREDIT ME :grin:

DEMO MAPS
I strongly suggest you donwload the appropriate file, to aid you.

Attachments

• Cool_is_i's_ eaz_hero_picker.w3x
    23.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Coo_is_i's_eaz_item_miss_system.w3x
    20.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 7
Umm...ok...how do we exactly learn if you just make the map. Explain it maybe? I don't know. The triggering for it is horrible. It works with only 1 player. It doesn't work for multiplayer only single, (by then whats the point?) And if another unit (say blue) enters in the region it gives a hero to red!! Just add one condition, add few triggers and players and you should be alright. Right now this doesn't work at all

Level 12
I never said it was for multiplayer.

This is to help nubs

My friend is makin a single player map and he wanted to know how to choose a hero like that.

If i want to make it multiplayer i would have to explain alot more.
Its eazier to do it in a seperate tutorial

BTW i explained everything in the game
Load it in the editor and look at the triggers and read the comments
they are step by step instructions to make the triggers and even explaining why.

I apologise for not explaining where the explanation was.
Read the 1st comment ill explain there.

Oh dang..
Just read about my old thread
Rui said not to do sometin like that again :sad:
I just hope this thread is within the rules or i might get punished:cry:
Please forgive me if i am bending the rules
Tell me and i shall not do it again.

Last edited:
Level 7
Question...did you even test the miss system? It may be me but every time I hit with the units with the item on it missed. Every time.. also (you want this to be for everyone right?) say if a unit has another item say a stupid stick they don't want and they drop it, all the units lose dodge. NOT GOOD! Another BIG PROBELM this is a unit target. Try to fix it so that it will not be a unit seleted unit. It's a bad idea because if they have a hero arena their unit isn't on the map alreadly. (Not your fault I still have a huge problem with that. Only with a skill can I acctually make it work) Sense I'm feeling nice I'll show you what I would do
  • ADDdodge
    • Events
      • Unit - Paladin 0001 <gen> Acquires an item
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Massive Sword
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) owned by Neutral Hostile) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Add dodge (Neutral Hostile) to (Picked unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing
Now I'm not to sure how to do the remove dodge part. I have one way but it takes around 6 if/then/elses and I don't think you want that big of a trigger in your noobs map.