• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New to map-making and needing some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi, i'm somehow new to this forum and new into the map-making world. Till now i've been able to make-do with my little knowlege of programming, but yesterday i've seen a limit : i was checking the multiboard trigger by launching the game and some problems arose.

First, the multiboard is somwhat like this :

- 5 columns : N° of player; Player Name; Kill count; Death count and Hero level.

- 16 rows :
* 1st containing names of columns
* 2nd containing name of the team (column 2)
* 3rd - 8th containing player data (players from team 1)
* 9th containing nothing to separate the 2 teams
* 10th containing name of the other team (column 2)
* 11th - 16th containing player data (players from team 2)

So far the multiboard is like that ingame, even though i had a probleme with column width which i solved fast. But now i found another problem : when loading values, it doesn't display all the names of the players.
Also, since this is the 2nd map i'm doing, and in the first one (never released) i used a leaderboard system, multiboard system is totally new to me so i don't know if the updating the multiboard is the same as with the leader board : when data changes in a trigger you make a command updating the leaderboard on the screen, is it same with multiboards?

Hmmm, hope i didn't forget anything. Also, i bought Warcraft 3 when it was released here in france and played a lot and saw lots of kinds of map, so i am almost sure that the kind of map i'm making is a rare one, well at least not seen everyday. So, if i somehow make it the end be sure to at least try it :D

Level 3
It's my map, currently under heavy construction :D
I'm trying not to copy features from other maps, which is kinda difficult beacause already all kinds of mps were done.

The question, or, rather, the problem is that when hte multiboard appears in the game it doesn't have all the names of the players and, even though i couldn't check it yet, it may have problems with diplaying the variables. That is why i was asking how to proceed with a multiboard.

Level 3
Duh, thanks for the info. Actually, i encountered some cases when my name wasn't on the board. That's when i tested it a bit and found it wasn't dispalying names properly....err...i'll write down the srcipt i'm using after testing Nature's Call - Return of the Dragon :D (downloaded it today) so maybe someone can see clearier than me...

Level 3
Ok, sorry for the wait.

The Nature's Call - The Return of the Dragons bugged at first map :? : when i try to enter the cave to get at another place it doesn't work. So i played the Joe's Chronicles Trilogy :eek: . Anyway, here's the code as i use it for now :

Actions

+ Group player - Pick every player in (All allies of Player 11 (Dark Green)) and do (Actions)

Loop - Actions
- Set plnbh[8] = (Name of Player 11 (Dark green))
- If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)

* If - Conditions
((Picked player) slot status) Equal to Play

* Then - Actions
Set plnbh[((Player number of (Picked player)) + plnbi)] = (Name of (Picked player))

* Else - Actions
Do nothing

+ Group player - Pick every player in (All allies of Player 12 (Brown)) and do (Actions)

Loop - Actions
- Set plnbh[16] = (Name of Player 12 (Brown))
- If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)

* If - Conditions
((Picked player) slot status) Equal to Play

* Then - Actions
Set plnbc[((Player number of (Picked player)) + plnbi3)] = (Name of (Picked player))

* Else - Actions
Do nothing

+ Set nbrow = 16
+ Set nbcolumn = 5
+ Multitable - Create a multiboard with nbcolumn columns and nbrow rows, titled Leaderboard for Leaderboard for Birth of the Eternals v0.1alpha
+ Set mtbl = (Last created multiboard)
+ Multitable - Set the display style for mtbl item in column 0, row 0 to Show text and Hide icons
+ For each (Integer A) from 1 to nbrow, do (Multitable - Set the width for mtbl item in column 2, row (Integer A) to 7.00% of the total screen width)
+ For each (Integer A) from 1 to nbrow, do (Multitable - Set the width for mtbl item in column 4, row (Integer A) to 5.00% of the total screen width)
+ For each (Integer A) from 1 to nbcolumn, do (Multitable - Set the color for mtbl item in column (Integer A), row 1 to (100.00%, 100.00%, 15.00%) with 0.00% transparency)
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 1, row 1 to N°
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 2, row 1 to Player
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 3, row 1 to Kills
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 4, row 1 to Deaths
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 5, row 1 to Level
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 2, row 2 to Heroes
+ Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 2, row 10 to Creeps
+ For each (Integer A) from 3 to 8, do (Actions)

Loop - Actions
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 1, row (Integer A) to (String(((Integer A) - plnbi)))
- Multitable - Set the color for mtbl item in column 2, row (Integer A) to (0.00%, 100.00%, 0.00%) with 50.00% transparency
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 2, row (Integer A) to plnbh[(Integer A)]
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 3, row (Integer A) to (String(nbkills[((Integer A) - plnbi)]))
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 4, row (Integer A) to (String(nbdeaths[((Integer A) - plnbi)]))
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 5, row (Integer A) to (String(herolvl[((Integer A) - plnbi)]))

+ For each (Integer A) from 11 to 16, do (Actions)

Loop - Actions
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 1, row (Integer A) to (String(((Integer A) - plnbi3)))
- Multitable - Set the color for mtbl item in column 2, row (Integer A) to (50.00%, 25.00%, 12.50%) with 50.00% transparency
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 2, row (Integer A) to plnbc[(Integer A)]
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 3, row (Integer A) to (String(nbkills[((Integer A) - plnbi3)]))
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 4, row (Integer A) to (String(nbdeaths[((Integer A) - plnbi3)]))
- Multitable - Set the text for mtbl item in column 5, row (Integer A) to (String(herolvl[((Integer A) - plnbi3)]))

- plnbi = 2; plnbi = 10; plnbi3 = 4 (all integers)

- nbdeaths[index] = 0 (default); nbkills[index] = 0 (default); herolvl[index] = 0 (default) (integers)

- plnbc[index] "PLayer NumBer Creeps team" = null (default); plnbh[index] "PLayer NumBer Heroes team" = null (default) (strings)

- mtbl = null (default) (multitable)

Ok, this may be a little heavy for the kind of multiboard i want into my map but, remember i'm a newbie at this, so i may make mistakes. Also, since i don't know what kind of additional information people put with the triggers i may have detailed it a bit too much, please don't mind it if it is the case.

So here's the question : can anyone tell me why it doesn't diplay player names properly (more like diplaying them randomly
:cry: ).

One last thing : because i live in france and, obviously, got the french version, i tried to translate the french parts of the triggers text so it may not look exactly like what you're used to see.

Level 16
That looks way too complicated, try setting ur brain usage to 0.1% and u might come up with a solution that is more simple, and working. The multiboard u wanna make isnt that complicated. (im too lazy to explain how i would do it :p) I suggest u redo the multiboard

Level 3
well, for now i haven't thought of another way to do it. but, since the leaderboard (or multiboard) isn't the most important part of the game i left that for later. but now even the most simple trigger won't work. as the following :

Actions

For each (Integer A) from 0 to 18, do
(Group unit - Pick every unit in (Units of type Spawn Base) and do
(If ((Owner of (Picked unit)) Equal to Player 11 (Dark green))
then do (Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of (Picked unit)) for 5.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (0.00%, 0.00%, 100.00%))
else do ( Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All Players) at (Position of (Picked Unit)) for 5.00 seconds, using a Alert ping of color (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%))

For each (Integer A) from 0 to 17, do
(If ((Owner of sp[(Integer A)]) Equal to Player 11 (Dark green))
then do (Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of sp[(Integer A)]) for 5.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (0.00%, 0.00%, 100.00%))
else do (Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All Players) at (Position of sp[(Integer A)]) for 5.00 seconds, using

i put a unique-type of building in the map, i want to check and show on the minimap the location and the owner of each building. so far here are the two triggers i thought of but both aren't working properly : each one somehow "forgots" or "skips" 2 buildings of player 11.

Why does it skip buildings?

Level 6
ks13 said:
Code:
For each (Integer A) from 0 to 18, do
(Group unit - Pick every unit in (Units of type Spawn Base) and do 
(If ((Owner of (Picked unit)) Equal to  Player 11 (Dark green)) 
then do (Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of (Picked unit)) for 5.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (0.00%, 0.00%, 100.00%)) 
else do ( Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All Players) at (Position of (Picked Unit)) for 5.00 seconds, using a Alert ping of color (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%))
hm... first thing i saw that the 'for integer a' is completely useless if that is your whole trigger Secondly - so if you want ping units in a rect wouldnt be that better? :

Code:
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) owned by Player 1 (Red)) and do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of (Picked unit)) for 10.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%)

with your custom area and you do the same for the other player? So it should show all buildings. btw what is your condition and event? >>whole trigger<<

For each (Integer A) from 0 to 17, do
(If ((Owner of sp[(Integer A)]) Equal to Player 11 (Dark green))
then do (Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of sp[(Integer A)]) for 5.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (0.00%, 0.00%, 100.00%))
else do (Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All Players) at (Position of sp[(Integer A)]) for 5.00 seconds, using

i cant get what is this trigger for... what is the variable sp[(integer A)] for? Always its the best to offer the whole trigger ^^.

Level 3
ah, sorry, i knew i forgot to explain something...so, sp[index] is a unit variable, i stored the unique buildings in it...that is why on the irst action trigger u saw the for each integer A function...i simply forgot to remove it...but, the example you gave me doesn't contains a unit-type check, because all the unique buildings belong to computers, and since it's an aos(?)-type map there will obviously be other units for computer than the unique ones. that is why i used those triggers. but, i tried something like :
- pick every unit owned by computer 1 and if unique ping it
- pick every unit owned by computer 2 and if unique ping it

but it does the same thing : 2 of the building owned by computer 1 won't ping on minimap. but if i change the ownership to computer 2 they will ping :?

ah, forgot to ask : where do i have to search for a hero/objects/property save system, i mean, like the ones in rpg kind of games?

Level 6
1) the ping problem

hm... if i didnt missunderstood you the var sp(etc)
stores ALL buildings that should be pinged?

so then try kinda that:

-- so what u did first should work, with a little improvement --

Code:
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)

Loop - Actions

If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Owner of sp[(Integer A)]) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
            Then - Actions
                Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of sp[(Integer A)]) for 10.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%)
            Else - Actions

If - Conditions
                (Owner of sp[(Integer A)]) Equal to Player 2 (Blue)
            Then - Actions
                Cinematic - Ping minimap for (All players) at (Position of sp[(Integer A)]) for 10.00 seconds, using a Simple ping of color (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%)
            Else - Actions

i think that should work then ...

2) the save system problem

hm... i cant really help you because im not finished with my own. I could send you the ready trigger then but i dont think it will fit for you as you said you need more things to be saved. But if you have WEU-Unlimited (Have you???) go to weu-enhancer and look information/documentation/how to implement save....
perhaps this might help you.

Anyway i hope i helped a bit.

Level 3
:cry:

it won't work....but, there is something strange : there are actually 4 buildings causing problems, but they only cause problems per 2...i mean, when the two that didn't work work, it's the other two that stop working, and when those two work the other two won't.... maybe it's a variable storing problem..... just to be sure, when i make a var st[index] expandable up to 18, that means it begins at 0 and ends at 17, right?

concernign we-u, errr, i got it but i'm not really using it, actually not at all....i'm a beginner map maker so i dun see any differencies between the 2...but maybe i'll try it now that you said it can help me with the saving system.

Edit : Ok, i tested a bit the triggers and it seems it's the ping trigger at fault. i used create floating text with count units of type, counts units owned by cpu 1 of type adn count units owned by cpu 2 of type, and it worked...so i suppose it's the ping trigger at fault, or even....when i think about it, i have 18 buildings, maybe there's a max ping on minimap restriction....have to try that....

edit 2 : :shock: can't believe this, there actually IS a ping restrictor : when i tried to ping the 2 sides separately it worked....i got 18 building, only 16 showed on trigger use, that's a max of 16 ping on minimap at once u_u;;;;
i'm really sorry to have bothered you with what in the end proved to be nothing much....

edit 3 : just added "triggering player is an ally of cpu 1" to first "if" function and "triggering player is an ally of cpu 2" to the second "if" trigger of your example...now it works fine....well it won't show ennemy bases but it's good this way too XD

Level 3
since i don't like changing editors i'll kep on doing the map on the WE given with the game. if i really need some functions of WEU i'll switch to it. thank for the warning though :)

Level 3
Hmmmm....i got to a new problem...well, it's not malfuncion at least...i want to make a dynamic capture building trigger :

- a hero enters range of a building
- timer starts
- when timer expires if the hero is still there the building changes owner

so i thought of a way (sry but since it's not finished i'll give the general idea):

two triggers : capture and check

capture activates when a unit enters a range of the capture-type building, with conditions unit = hero & owner of unit = ennemy of owner of building

the trigger starts a timer and runs check, after timer expires if var herocheck = true it changes ownership of building to another player

check has a periodic event of 1second, it selects all units of type hero to under a range of 300 with center the building and if count of heroes ennemies of owner of building = 0 sets herocheck = false
else it sets herocheck = true.

now here is the problem : for now all i can do i make 18 triggers like this one for each of 18 buildings...but i wondered if i couldn't alter them to be able to have only 2 triggers, or at least have only one of the 2 dynamic

Level 6
ks13 said:
for now all i can do i make 18 triggers like this one for each of 18 buildings...but i wondered if i couldn't alter them to be able to have only 2 triggers, or at least have only one of the 2 dynamic

Well i think you dont need the timer. You may try this instead:

EVENTS:

Unit - A unit comes within range of <building nr1>
Unit - A unit comes within range of <building nr2>
Unit - A unit comes within range of <building nr3>
Unit - A unit comes within range of <building nr4>
and so on...

Code:
CONDITIONS:

ACTIONS:

Wait xx.xx seconds

If - Conditions
        (Is (Triggering unit) near <build1> and withing a range of xxx.xx) Equal to True
    Then - Actions
        Unit - Change ownership of <build1> to (Owner of (Triggering unit)) and Change color
    Else - Actions

If - Conditions
        (Is (Triggering unit) near <build2> and withing a range of xxx.xx) Equal to True
    Then - Actions
        Unit - Change ownership of <build2> to (Owner of (Triggering unit)) and Change color
    Else - Actions

and so on ....

NOTE: the the if-condition is a boolean.

hm... you have to try that, i didnt test it.

Well, and if that doesnt work just finish one trigger for one building and then copy the whole trigger and just exchange the different buildings. :wink:

Level 3
errr....hat would work fine if all i wanted is to check at the end of timer if there is an ennemy hero in the range....but (i think this is what you forgot) i want to be sure the ennemy hero doen't leave the area, that is why i made a separate trigger checking every second.

Level 3
hmmm....actually, i reavaluated the problem counting in your suggestion and came to a conclusion that with a few expendable vars i could make the triggers pretty dynamic. but i saw another problem that i'd have whicever solution i came up with : when the trigger detects that there is no ennemy hero in range (died or run away), how do i stop the timer, or rather, how do i reset it? because i need to be able to use it again on another capture try.

Level 6
hm.. maybe you can use instead of a timer an integer variable.
so when within range u set the variable (lets call it X here):

Code:
event periodic event every <1sec>

if     within range
then   set x to x - 1
       message x
else   set x to <30 or what u have>
       message x set to 30 again

then you would be able to make in other trigger

if x = 0
then change ownership ... etc

maybe this works :?:

Level 3
o_o

i...actually....haven't thought about that one....and i'm studying programming...what a joke :?

that might be just what i was needing, thank for the help.

i have a question : the parameters for gold earning when a unit is killed are the 3 stats called something like bonus gold, bonus gold per dice and another one right? so when i set all 3 to 0 the player won't earn anything when killing that unit right? (this is for my gold/wood earning system)

Level 6
ks13 said:
i have a question : the parameters for gold earning when a unit is killed are the 3 stats called something like bonus gold, bonus gold per dice and another one right? so when i set all 3 to 0 the player won't earn anything when killing that unit right? (this is for my gold/wood earning system)

stats-bounty awarded lets you earn gold when kill
stats-lumber bounty awarded is lumber (of course :wink: )
point value gives experience as far as i know

similar to that u can use fuction player flag:

Player - Turn Gives bounty Off for <player>

if you want <player> to earn nothing.

Level 3
thank fo the explanation :)
err....isn't there a var so i can change the experience needed between 2 levels? or i only have the experience earned to go with?

Level 3
no worries :)

hmmm...i think i'll take a rest today before continuing the triggering tomorrow.
btw...i see you finished the terrain first, are you always doing the terrain first? i mean, i know that usually residen evil-like maps have a unique terrains but i was wondering how others proceed when making maps.

edit : i only made 2 maps up till today, but i always used the same proceeding :

- basic terrain
- almost all units (all but heroes and towers)
- almost all triggers
- heroes and their triggers
- towers and defensive structures
- remodeling terrain

Level 6
well, there is no special order i build up this map. Its my very first map... so i just started the idea did some terrain, units, and so on... and so i completed it. added here and there something.

hehe might be not the perfect efficience, but i just followed my 'inspiration' :)

Level 3
hmmm, yea

i dunno where but i saw something like a manual for "how to procced when making a map", i can't remember where though....anyway, since i couldn't get the ideas for the map out of my head i got on photoshop trying to do the background image for the loading screen and the preview image....errr, the background is 60% done and the preview is yet to be started....but it'll be done by tomorrow i think. i'll diplay the images here when done because i think the mapp will wait a bit longer.

Level 3
Ok, here are the Minimap and loading screen background :

bote_3.jpg

Birth_of_the_eternals_bg.jpg

I wanted an original loading screen for my map, and since the action is happening in a forest map i used a photo and edited it a bit. The minimap is a re-edit of the loading screen. The writing is....well something i created. Sinco nothing is impossible in this world i won't go as far as saying you dun have a chance of seeing this kind of writing anywhere in the world, but if you do, it's purely coincidental. Oh by the way, these writings do mean something :)

edit : if anyone doubts this was a photo before i edited it i can post it, just ask.

edit 2 : when i re-read the post it seems to me as if i'm boasting about what i've done....actually i read the post about posting material, not using anime images, manga images, or others stuff of kind....i said that only in case someone thought i copied the image from sowhere or something like that

Level 6
oh very nice idea to reedit a given photo... looks awesome
Hope you dont complain if i would try that on my resevil load screen too. :)

btw what is the filesize of your pic? because my screen has a huge filesize.... i probably remove it from my map.

well.. and your own cryptic font looks cool. it really fits to a mystical forest ^^. hm.. not yet got the meaning hehe but i will...

Level 3
thanks for the compliment :lol:

i won't mind if you use the idea, it's not like i own it :eek: and the size of the images are 40k for the minimap and 550k for the background. the minimap and the background are the indicating sizes 128x128 for the minimap and 512x512 for the loading screen, i didn't try to croop a 1024x768 (or higher) image because i didn't want to overload the map needlessly.
and, about the cryptic font, it was written by me and scanned, then i re-edited it a bit, so you won't find it on a font-downloading site :roll:

Level 3
no problem. the only thing i'm regreting is that i had to use a photo for the background, since i'm really bad at drawing. i had several ideas for it, but only this one was possible.

Level 3
hmmm....the triggers for the earning gold/wood are working fine...all that's left are spawning triggers, hero triggers and features triggers :)
after that remodeling the terrain and adding heroes :D

btw, the new earning gold/wood system is made so it will test the teamplay between players :D . if the players have good teamplay the game will be easier, but if the players are arguing all the time they'll increase the chances of losing :twisted: . well, nothing says the players will chose team earning mode but if they like it when it's harder then they will chose it

Level 6
i like teamplay maps - mine is one too. You will have almost no chance to win without mayor teamwork.

Now im almost done with my map. If save-load system is ready i just need to do the final outro-cinematic and some balancing. Im in test phase now. :)

Level 3
been awhile :(

actually, i'm quite busy with my real life problems so the map making won't advance for some time...

i've been thinking....should i put a protection on the map or not when finished? because, sure i don't mind sharing the triggers and ideas of the map with others, but i hate when a stupid guy, not knowing what to do, takes the map, edit it a bit and claims he made it :evil: ....but then, as long as the map keeps the bg and minimap images no one can claim he's the maker because i'm the only one who knows what the signs on the images mean :twisted: . this may be a new way of keeping ownership of maps :roll:

Level 3
okay....up till today, i only had a general idea about the storyline...but today i thought a bit about it and came with a more precise idea, so i'll write it here because i want to know what you think about it.

the campaign name is "Eternal Heroes" (it may be changed later to adapt to the campaign plot) and it will talk about the eternal heroes ( duh u__u; ).

more seriously, the story begins with a spirit, the lowest life form in the campaign (in the game too as i recall o_O?? ). the spirit can't do much : it can walk around and see invisible beings, it also can take damage by magic beings (since it's a spirit, material things pass trough it). but, it has a special power : to capture the souls of the fallen warriors to add the energy of the soul to its. by storing energy they gain power, but they still can't use it to atack or do anything else but capture more souls. once they have stored enough energy they can gain flesh and powers, in other words they become a living being, in this case, a hero. but, since it's a spirit gaining a flesh body, it has to choose what it will become. it will have to choose from 5 races on each side (5 races for good side and 5 races from bad side). after that, the hero will have to gain experience to gain ranks. each rank will bring new powers and new strenght (yea, this part is the same as what you usually do). after a number of ranks, the new hero will have a possibility to evolve into a higher being and, this time he will also have to choose from a number of different evolved forms (at the moment i think 3 evolutions will be enough, and yes, that means there is one more evolution).

now for the story : the spirit is a spirit of a fallen hero from ancient times. it couldn't attain peace and go to heaven because the hero had too many regrets at the moment he died. it was wandering around because there was peace in the world so the world didn't have a need for a hero. but soon, a new war will begin. a war far greater than any before. that is why the spirit decides to revive itself and help those in need. through 5-10 maps (i don't know exactly how many maps i'll make but it should be around this many) the spirit will gain energy, strength and power to try and stop the war, becoming an eternal hero in the eyes of the world (yea, like i'd spoil the game by talking about what will happen in the campaign). of course, one hero isn't enough for a campaign, so while searching for power, the spirit will gain some "brothers-in-arms" to help it with its quest.

whew...that was long. anyway, with only this, you may think it's a normal campaign, nothing new.....well, you may be right, but you also may be wrong, it all depends of what experience you have with games (i'm talking here about all games, not only W3). also, in the campaign, there will be a regular evolution of the hero, and the evolution will be limited per map, but in the multiplayer version all the evolutions will be enabled....hummmmm.....maybe i should limit it too, may be funnier that way 8)

so, let's see, 2 sides (bad & good) each has 5 evolutions and each of these will have around the same amount of evolutions, which makes 2+(2*5)+(2*5*5) = 62 heroes.....gotta make work hard my imagination for the spells...if possible, i'll add more evolutions after, when the final versions of the maps were released.

edit : just saw the desription is a real mess, so please don't mind it. also, since it's only a begining idea it may be altered to fit the gameplay.

Level 6
first: nice to hear from you again :) . well... i was absent this week too cause i just begun studying this week. very busy this times ^^ .

well the idea with a 'code' in your minimap is really good as far as he doesnt change it :shock: .

Anyway.. i read your description and im now really interested in your maps - sounds very exciting. im really looking forward to the day when you post them...
Especially that the soul evolves by 'eating' other souls ... great.

btw... in what time your story plays? in past (would fit better to the story) or in present?
well or in both so the sould maybe is prisoned at any reason and is freed in present again....

and did i understand you right that you can load the char of the campaign in your multiplayer version? huh... fantastic. Sounds like much much MUCH MUCH M U C H work. :wink:

well if you need feedback, help or testers lets say that i will help where i can....

hm... little problem that i havent yet a internet connection. im talking to you from an other pc than mine. :(

if i can find next month or so a new flat i will be able to help ya better cz then i have WE and broadband again.

Im going to see from time to time what is posted here but as i said im very busy for a while, so dont worry if you have to wait a bit for further answers...

Anyway, good luch with your map and PM me if its ready !! :p

Level 3
okay....i think i'll need to explain a bit more about this campaign :

1. the "eating souls" ability isn't that hard, but it still needs JASS knowledge... since there isn't a spell model i could use for it.

2. about the "loading characters" thing (sorry but i'll answer this one first), i won't make it possible to load a character from the campaign into multiplayer or multiplayer into campaign. i'll leave normal save/load system in the campaign. but, i'll make it so a save-code from a multiplayer map could be used on any of the multiplayer version maps of the campaign. i.e. : you play the map "the birth of the eternals" and save the hero getting a code. you play another map from the campaign, errr let's say the name is "evolving". now, instead of having to begin anew building another/same hero all over, you'll only have to use the code you got from the other map. of course, each map will have peculiar heroes so it doesn't get boring having the same heroes in every map, but those maps will have common heroes and i'll list them in quests window so you won't have to check every hero in each map.

3. the happening of the story.....err....as i said i still only have the general idea, i'll develop the story later and add details to it. the first map of the campaign is the multiplayer version (it's because the multiplayer version is more dynamic than single player ones so i began with this version) so i won't have to worry about the story line till i begin the campaign version of the maps. by the way, the first map is also a huge one, actually it's the maximum size allowed by the WE 256x256 with removed camera limits. i choose this size because i needed space to add some strategy need. in this one rushing won't help :twisted: as will not boosting hero.

the alpha version of the map is 90% done what will not be done in the alpha is bug corrections (well duh, it's not called alpha for naught) balancing (i don't have a sense for it since it's only my second map so i'll leave it alone till the testings) heroes (well, it sure will have some, but not all will be there) and advanced features (i have many ideas but i'll leave most of them for the beta version).

what needs to be done are triggers, towers and shops (all other buildings are done) and advanced terraining. after that's done i'll post the alpha version. actually, i occured some problems when testing a trigger : the trigger worked fine when i tried the map alone, but when i tried it with my little brother (lan game) it wasn't working; that's why i'll leave some advanced features for the beta and post for testing the alpha.

O_O i wrote so much....and i could go on...but instead i should be finishing the map..but right now i'm too exhausted to do anything else beside replying u_u . but what worries me is that tomorrow is my birthday....and i'm not even at least excited or happy...."just a normal day....as usual" is what i'm feeling....am i not normal? o_O

edit : forgot to say but...the reason why i'll not allow the campaign/multiplayer hero mix is because even if both multiplayer and single player maps will contain the same heroes, there will be some difference : campaign will contain some campaign only objects, units, maybe even spells (will have to think about that one). on the other hand, the multiplayer map will have some unique heroes/races (call it whatever you want for now), objects spells (it's sure for this one). also, when playing in multiplayer, you may advance faster in avolving making the campaign easier if the same hero from multiplayer map is loaded. which i call "cheating". hope i didn't forget anything.

Level 6
:shock: omg, you should become a journalist or something where u can write as MUCH as you want :wink: .

anyway ty for the detailed description, as i said im very interested when your maps are rdy...

uhm... well... as it is almost tomorrow i may congratulate you to your birthday then. hehe and if you are 'normally' it depends a bit on how old you become... if you become 18 or somethin important age... i think THEN u worked too long on your map 8) .

Level 3
lolz, thank you, and i'm 22 tomorrow

also....usually i'm the quiet, shy(?) kind of guy (yea right u_u).....at least at first i was like that with everybody, now only those that aren't in my circle of friends or higher (best friend, family...) that see me like that (there is a reason for that). anyway, the thing is that it must be from that and also the fact that my imagination is overactive that i can write or talk almost non-stop wherever, whenever....lol, whhenever i was doing the written expression part in english tests (remember i said i'm living in france), i always went over the word-limit given to us....in french tets as well...but it was only in the beggining, till i learned french :) . anyway, i'm telling you about my life here and that has nothing to do with maps.

but, i'd like to straighten out one thing, you always tell "you maps", but please keep in mind it'll be slow and i'll be releasing the multiplayer versions first, one by one, then the whole campaign, when it's ready. i know that you surely meant that when you wrote "your maps" but just in case....dunno why i'm concerned about this...sorry for my all my babbling...

edit : oh, if you like te idea of this map then you should've seen the first i made...it wa s a mix of hero defense, tower wars and aeon...really good one....the only problem at the testing was...it has 3 modes in it and the unit count was overloaded, when i first tried the map it was like 1 image per 30 seconds....then i modified it a bit, and it worked fine, but then, there wasn't enough units to be fun....it needed more, but more meant lag...that's why i abbandoned the map for some time...then i got a hard disk bug, formating disks, reinstalling windows, so and so...after all that, when i wanted to try and finish the map i realised i lost the unprotected version...so now i can't edit it even if a wanted to...and the version that's left is the oldest one...without the corrections and some balancing...so even if i got the unprotecting program it'll need a complete remaking...that's why i started this new campaign

edit 2 : which reminded me, i made a gold/wood earning system for that map.....which i haven't seen in regular aeon maps....maybe i'll also add it in this map :? ....which will make it 3 gold/wood earning systems to choose from....it may prove to be interesting :twisted:

Level 3
i'm back

i've been lazy these days so the project didn't advance even a bit. anyway, now it will. i was thinking about the soul-eating spell and thought that a spell targeting a dead body was simply plain....so i decided to make it another way : the spell will be a unit-eating spell taken from dragons, and edited a bit, on the other hand, there will be a trigger that, each time a unit dies rondomises the appearance of a ghost (i thought that making a ghost for each dead unit will shorten the soul collecting part of the game), i think i'll make it like 1 chance out of 5 or 3 (wouldn't want to make it last too long either). I'd like to say that i have an icon set for the spell, but i'n not good at graphic things so i'll check in icon section if someone can help me out with this.

After that, i'll have to begin hero making and trying to imagine the spells they'd have.

I'm sure i'm forgetting things but i'll report them when on it.

Level 6
hey there,
nice to hear from you again. :D i was a bit lazy last times too, cause i still started studying and its all a bit hectic these times....
anyway, i worked on my first map a bit, and im now proud to say it is almost ready at all and will soon appear (hopefully :wink: ) on b.net.

i browsed a bit the icon-section and i think its better to make an own icon for reasons of "uniqueness" (spelling? omg :roll: ). if i can help, post here. for example this icon - if you want me to give it a try - tell me what should be seen on the icon ...

till then... cu

------Sunny_D------

Level 3
oh, i'd be glad if you could try to make it :)

as for what i'd like ti to be....err....i don't mind anything as long as it shows it's a soul-eating.

today i'm tired cuz i stayed late and had to get up early (my dad needed me to do some desktop works u_u) so i think today i'll be resting a bit and maybe thinking about heroes to make for the map.

also, i still need to think about the save system....i never had to do one before and still have no idea how to even begin....can anyone help me even a little with this?

Level 6
ok, i will give it a try :wink:

and with

ks13 said:
also, i still need to think about the save system....i never had to do one before and still have no idea how to even begin....can anyone help me even a little with this?

hm... first step is to think about, what should be saved. then i may help you with that.

:?: Question: do you use normal WE or World Editor Unlimited WEU ? that would be important for my further advises and helps...

Level 3
first : i like your avatars :) (might put on mine, haven't thought about it till now)

i personnaly was, and am still but less now than then, in images and photos. i got myself something like 10k+ images on a cd and got 6gb+ on my hd but lost most of those when my hd crashed so now i got to redownload them all again. fortunaltely all personnal images and pics were saved because they were in a differenct place XD.

anyway (still ranting on and on off topic u_u), i'm using WE for now, but i downloaded WEU and it's ready to install, i'm not using it only because till now i haven't seen a need to.

also, what i need to save is the hero, the money/wood, objects the hero is carrying and hero's stats (because i might add some upgrading tomes so i think no player would like to see his efforts on upgrading his hero wasted). i don't think i'll put the advanced bag feature (the bag with a menu called by "esc" button or some ability button) because then i'd make a RPG and not an aos/aeon/whatever like map.

there is one thing though : i've seen some abilities that, when you click on them give you a new set of abilities/upgrades/options to chose from and i'd like to know how to do that. i suppose it's JASS based and can be found on the forum so i'll try to look it up.

edit : forgot the important thing : since i was resting (which, for some reason, is the time when my brain uses full power on thoughts processing) i thought about some interessting features to add in the game. unfortunately, i can't add them with the map being as it is, so i'll do some minor changes on the terrain so i can add those features. with those added the game should become VERY interesting :twisted:

Level 6
ks13 said:
i'm using WE for now, but i downloaded WEU and it's ready to install, i'm not using it only because till now i haven't seen a need to.

well, WEU has some interesting features you could really need, but sure you dont have to install it till you really know u need. If you cant find a special function, there is a good chance to find one fitting at WEU. i personally use it and i now would never go back to WE - at some special points its really usefull.

also, what i need to save is the hero, the money/wood, objects the hero is carrying and hero's stats (because i might add some upgrading tomes so i think no player would like to see his efforts on upgrading his hero wasted).

ok, thats a bit more difficult, but i think its doable... but i suggest you to do the code more at the end of your map when all heroes and items and all that are done completely. And do you use save-code in your multiplayer maps or in your single-player campaign? for me thats also important to know. :wink:

there is one thing though : i've seen some abilities that, when you click on them give you a new set of abilities/upgrades/options to chose from and i'd like to know how to do that. i suppose it's JASS based and can be found on the forum so i'll try to look it up.

well, if you find a solution out, then you may post it here because i really want to know about that too - that would fit perfectly in my map. 8)

Level 3
errrr....i remember saying it before that i won't use the save system on the campaign because then the player could just load a upgraded hero when he doing the campaign again, and there also coud be some cheating like making a hero throught the campaign and using it in multiplayer maps....that'd be a little unfair to those begining with the map.

i tried to check what kind of trigger has that ability as result. it was a tank wars map and, even though it wasn't protected, there was nothing in it. i mean, when the editor opened it the was no triggers or even units....i really don't know why it's like that, maybe language difference or something.

actually, i was using WEU before, that was before my hd crashed. but since i didn't see any difference between WE and WEU i simply didn't think about using it, but now with what you said i'll try it out a bit.

edit : ok, ok.....u_u

now, first : you were right, this WEU has some interesting things in it, i.e save hero trigger. i don't know what exactly it saves but i'll be sure to try it out. which, if it works as i'm expecting it, will remove me the creation of the save system off my shoulders. also, before the WEU launchs (rather, before i click on the button to launch it) there are some functions i can use, but i don't know all of them.

lastly, with the advanced triggers i saw i should be able to advance faster than planned into triggering the map.

well, i think that last time i saw the WEU was when it was in it's first versions, so that's why there wasn't all those life saving features u_u.

Level 3
Hmmmm.....i think that i'll create a new topic for this campaign....i mean, even thought i'm still new to map making and still need help, i have the campaign name and the name of the first map so should make a topic with the campagn name so it's easier to see what it's dealing with...so the new topic will be : Eternal Heroes.
cya there

edit : oooops, i used "thread" instead of "topic" (what's the difference anyway?)

Status
Not open for further replies.