• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Mapmaking Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to mapmaking and I've decided to move on from making mini games to something bigger, not huge, but bigger. I just want to know if there are any systems I should implement in this new map or things I should watch out for. I've checked out the Essential Tutorial and I understand everything there (memory leaks, not using waits, etc...) and hope to include the GUI SpellEvent and DynamicIndexing, both linked below. So before I start, is there anything else I should have a look at?

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-spellevent-v2-1-0-0-a-212660/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-dynamic-indexing-template-144325/

Level 20
Depends on what you need. It's highly probably that you'll need at least a Damage Detection System (By Weep's) or the whole Damage Engine Package (Bribe's).

If you're going to create some triggered abilities wich requires handling units, you may have to use Unit Index (Required by Bribe's Damage Engine)

If you're going to work with jass/vjass and use triggered abilities with effects over time, you will probably need TimerUtils and some of these stuff.

Use JNPG (Jass NewGen Pack) instead of Regular WE...

And try to learn JASS, remove BJ's, and Improve Triggers :) Also, take a look on Hashtables.

Level 1
Ha I was just looking at hashtables. I think I might delay this project a little so I can learn JASS, I know it will pay off in the end. I'll also have a look into the systems you mentioned.

Anyway thanks for the help. +rep

Status
Not open for further replies.