• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New in town - question re campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, unsure where to post this, but i am looking for the correct spot to post about campaigns.
Its been so long since i have played this due to computer issues, and now i hear that there will be a reboot of WAR3, which is super awesome and amazing.
I wanted to know from the community though, which are really nice enjoyable campaigns to play?
I am also interested to know who knows which campaigns have missions where you need to survive for x a mount of minutes. I was playing a campaign once that involved this and it was really amazing, but its been so so long that i can not remember what it was called.
If it was possible to actually search for these types of campaigns, then how does one do this on the site, please bear with me.
Thank you for reading

Level 6
So if you want to see developing campaigns they are generally present in the map development section. The fully finished campaigns can be found in resources and there you can click a tag which shows campaigns. Many campaigns have these defend missions and some personal favourites of mine are Curse of the Forsaken and rise of the Blood Elves. These two follow actual lore and are quite challenging in parts and fun. Blood elves one is first lore-wise. Then there are turnos campaigns which involve an alternate version where the Lordaeron did not fall. The first one is The Adventures of Rowan the wise which has pretty eh voice acting but is fun and interesting. There is then 2 others 1 for the scourge, one for orcs and then the currently developed one malfurions quest. Lord of the clans doesn't have many defence missions but is quite fun and you can find quite a lot of others in that forum part. If you're looking to play the original campaign with a friend there are the 2p campaigns which are fun and you get to play them with someone.

Level 2
So if you want to see developing campaigns they are generally present in the map development section. The fully finished campaigns can be found in resources and there you can click a tag which shows campaigns. Many campaigns have these defend missions and some personal favourites of mine are Curse of the Forsaken and rise of the Blood Elves. These two follow actual lore and are quite challenging in parts and fun. Blood elves one is first lore-wise. Then there are turnos campaigns which involve an alternate version where the Lordaeron did not fall. The first one is The Adventures of Rowan the wise which has pretty eh voice acting but is fun and interesting. There is then 2 others 1 for the scourge, one for orcs and then the currently developed one malfurions quest. Lord of the clans doesn't have many defence missions but is quite fun and you can find quite a lot of others in that forum part. If you're looking to play the original campaign with a friend there are the 2p campaigns which are fun and you get to play them with someone.

I will see if i can find those names you mention above thank you.
There was a campaign where there were optional objectives but u got attacked from everywhere. I managed to survive but i could not complete the quests, so noob.
I just enjoy the game be it so dam old. I cant wait for the reforge and i hope they make new campaigns, it would be really great.

Maps | HIVE

You can pick from this selection of 8 pages of campaigns.

I have noticed that , thanks. I wanted to know more or less how to search for campaigns that particularly have the "you must survive for x amount of time and perform a quest for example"
Awesome, thanks

Level 2
Sorry guys, i need to ask , I was playing a campaign long ago and i got to mission 3 or 4 i forgot and then it was supposed to load the next mission and i remember the screen just want blank.
I was told at the time i needed to patch the game. I did that and for some reason i had to restart the entire thing, it was a pain.
Which is probably the best patch level to be on considering i might play old or a mixed set of version campaigns?
I believe i am, currently on 1.21 at the moment , which is the NO-CD version.

Level 20
Hold-out missions, i.e. maps where you have to defend for X minutes, are pretty much one of the more "standard" types of maps and it's likely that you will encounter at least one map of that type in most classic-style campaigns. I don't recall any campaign that would use this kind of mission particularly often, though.

As for good campaigns, I'd recommend using this:
Maps | HIVE

It's the map repository with enabled "campaign" filter and sorted by user rating. You can find filters to the right of the page and you can sort the results by your desired field by clicking on the bar just above the first displayed map.

For my personal favourites and generally highly rated campaigns that resemble the original W3 style, I'd suggest:

a) Campaigns by @tomoraider
Rise of the Blood Elves v3.0
Curse of the Forsaken v3.0

b) Campaigns by @Shar Dundred
Legends of Arkain First Undead Book
Legends of Arkain First Orc Book
Legends of Arkain First Human Book
Second Human Book of Arkain

c) Campaigns by @Turnro
The Adventures of Rowan the Wise v4.4
Resurrection of the Scourge
Jeopardy of the Horde
Malfurion's Quest v1.3b

d) Shadows of Hatred by @Sclammerz
Shadows of Hatred v1.4

BUT! These are only a couple of examples of great campaigns available here at the Hive. Personally, I'd recommend that you simply go to the Maps repository and try any campaign that you think sounds fun - I'm pretty sure that sooner or later you will find a project that you enjoy :)

Just a little warning, be sure to check the recommended game version for each campaign before you try to load it up. Recent patches to Warcraft 3 have caused some compatibility issues and certain campaigns might not work if you do not have the appropriate game version.

Also, if these are not enough, you can also go and check here:
Map Development

This is the Map Development forum. This is where people discuss projects that are still work-in-progress - a lot of them offer playable demos, so if you don't mind sinking your teeth in an incomplete project, you might also find a lot of cool stuff there.

---

As for patch levels, as @Daffa the Mage said, for older maps, 1.27b will likely be the safest bet. For others, you might have to patch your game to at least 1.29 or to the newest version, the latter can be done by simply trying to connect to the battle.net from within the game.

---

And finally, you're always welcome to try and work on your own project! The editor might be a bit scary at first, but the truth is that it's not that hard to get a hang of things. If you wish to go down this route, I'd highly recommend checking out the Tutorial forum for guides and tips :)

WarCraft III Tutorials

And if you happen to have any questions about map-making issues, you are always welcome to ask them here:

World Editor Help Zone
Triggers & Scripts

---

Whichever one you pick, I hope you find a lot of fun on the Hive :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.