• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Neverwinter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I was wondering if any of you play the MMORPG Neverwinter. I played it and I'm gonna start playing it again.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
too much pay 2 win, not recommended.
I have mine for free on Steam
The issue he was referring to was the game play model rather than the game cost. In "pay 2 win" games skill has practically nothing to do with doing well in the game and instead emphasis is placed on how much real life money you spend.

Diablo III 1.0 was a good example of this where you could use the real money auction house to purchase the best equipment. It was impossible to get such equipment without spending real money as it was either traded on third party sites for stupid amounts of gold (which needed you to spend real money or be a banker) or you needed to win the lottery multiple times to find it. Due to the nature of Barbarians in the game people even called it "dual wielding credit cards". This was fixed with 2.0 as the RMAH was removed from the game completely.

"Free to Play" games generally depend heavily on the "pay 2 win" model for their revenue. Often resorting to underhanded and borderline fraudulent policies to extract money from you. Examples include rigged consumables only purchasable and mean instant win, disguising the real money implications of certain actions or making playing without paying virtually impossible. The EA Dungeon Keeper app was a good example of this where mining a single tile of wall would either take 4 real life days or cost you 5$ odd to mine instantly.

Level 27
I really like what this game tries to be, but It falls kind of short.
If they'd clean up their editor and allow people to make proper story campaigns, perhaps I'd give it another go.

The whole pay to win thing is also kind of an issue as well, yes.

Level 21
I really like what this game tries to be, but It falls kind of short.
If they'd clean up their editor and allow people to make proper story campaigns, perhaps I'd give it another go.

The whole pay to win thing is also kind of an issue as well, yes.
Mine crashes everytime I tried to open the editor :(

Status
Not open for further replies.