• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Neutral units now player-owned in 1.29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

since 1.29 came out, I'm dealing with the bug that the units that are owned by Neutral Passive or Neutral Hostile are now owned by players with the new player-colors introduced in the patch. In the editor, nothing has changed. But when you launch the map in Wc3, all those units are owned by the wrong player. Also, player-owned units that have their coloring changed to neutral passive via triggers are now changed to dark red / purple (or whatever the new colors are called).

I was using World Editor Extended and figured that it was a problem with it, but the bug persists if I save the map with the normal editor.

It might also be worth mentioning that I have imported AbilityData.slk and AbilityFunc files, because the map is based on previous iterations that are really, really old. I'm experiencing a lot of bugs with this now as well. I don't think these two issues are linked, but you never know.

I haven't found anyone else complaining about this issue. Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Level 39
I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot to tell the WE that neutral passive/hostile's player ID had changed. Sounds like the editor thinks Player(15) is still neutral passive but the game knows Player(15) is the 16th human player slot. Perhaps your map has some old triggers that manually set the ownership of some units to players that used to be the neutrals. I think it would be easier to determine if you uploaded the map here.

As far as I can tell I don't have this issue in my editor (WEX) so it is probably a bug specific to your map.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies!

I did some more investigating. The bug doesn't appear on older versions of my map. So, I wanted to see when exactly the bug is introduced. It seems to be the Map Optimizer, although optimizing an older version without editing it in the World Editor first does not introduce the bug. So, only the combination of saving the map with the World Editor after 1.29 and then optimizing it introduces the bug. I didn't notice this earlier because I never open my map unoptimized (since it requires approx. 15 minutes to load).

This explains the neutral units that are now Violet. But the player-owned units changing to the wrong color persisted. So, I checked the triggers and they now read "Change Color to Maroon" after 1.29. Other triggers that used the "Change Color to Color of Player(XYZ)" wording still work.

I still cannot edit my map properly and fix this issue because the abilities aren't loaded in the editor properly and everything gets screwed up once I save the map with the editor. But this should warrant another thread I think.

Level 13
Yup. I've been having issues with this as well. Although in my case, it's the opposite: I'm trying to make my map 1.27 compatible again. There's something wonky with the player numbers.

Level 19
Though Antares practically answered his own question, it turns out maps saved by new WorldEditor are intended to be 24-player compatible. When the game detects a map was saved in new WE it initialized the game with 24p, for old maps still 12p. Now because Neutrals are taking slot numbers ABOVE the actual player slots, the old IDs of neutrals are regular player IDs on 24-player maps. You have to use the constants to correctly assign IDs. WorldEditor won't take care of your custom triggers and especially not bow down to the outdated optimizer ;)

In-depth info here: [Success] Hybrid 12/24-player map | Backwards-compatible 1.24-1.28.5 & 1.31+

Status
Not open for further replies.