• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Im making a new map,its based on WoW,and the goal is to capture the flag of the enemy faction.There are 3 lanes,similiar to DoTA or AoS.Now i dont know what terrain should i use for the map,in the beggining i used Ashenvale,then switched to Village Fall,but its too gloomy.Im interested what tileset do others think would go good on a 3-lane AoS style map cause i cant make up my mind.

Level 9
Tell us what type of terrain you want in terms of colour and environment and we'll be able to help with that... Also most of the character would come from doodads rather than tiles so usually the tileset wouldn't make a big change when you go from ashenvale to village fall.

The lorderan tilesets or sunken ruins are nice and vibrant if that's what you're after.

Level 8
I very nearly always use custom tile sets.

I do not like the vines and leaves of Ashenvale. They suck... in my opinion.

So I remove those and I replace with other tiles:

One such "texture scheme" would be from top to bottom would be left to right in the tool bar):

Ashenvale Dirt

Sunken Ruins Rough dirt (Looks like cobblestones, makes nice build able paths/roads)

Ashenvale Rock (nice white rock for the natural settings)

Village Cobbles (for unbuildable pathing inside of villages, towns, farms blah)

Dalarian Ruins Marble - a nice grey "stone" which if used properly can be either dark natural stone, or a nice paving inside of towns)

Ashenvale Grass

Ashenvale Lumpy Grass

AshenVale Grassy Dirt

Sunken Ruins Sand.

Now the reason why I have them in the order that I do is because I can use say Grassy dirt as a base, then go in with individual tiles of Grass and lumpy grass - what happens is that the grassy dirt lays on top of those two, causing the edges of grass and lumpy grass to be blended into grassy dirt.

Further grass and lumpy grass can be used at the top of a "cliff" edge where you raise the land into a hill and 'cut' into the side with plateau - texture the steep side with rock, using the grass at the top and the grassy dirt at the bottom you get a better illusion of steepness - grass over hanging the stone, the stone being blended into grass at the bottom.

Also tile sets have an impact on the water. I like the color of Ashenvale water.

Nearly every "natural" landscape I do has a village or a collection of houses/stores/blah so the road like rough dirt of sunken ruins usually works very well in the tileset and is better than the cobble stone or other brick like tiles in other sets. Its more "earthy" and feels like a rural road composition instead of the cobble stones which feel more like a town or a city of the era.

Also the rough dirt can be built upon - making nice foundations for unit buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.