• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Projectiles to Not Pass through Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
In my competitive shooter-based map featuring Archers and Marines, I need someone to help me to where projectiles (based off Carrion Swarm) cannot pass through walls. It can be extremely cheap, gameplay-wise, when a player is on the other side of a wall and your projectile just so happens to hit them and they die. It doesn't make sense for arrows/bullets to be moving past walls.

Or, if there is already a system on Hive (I've not been able to find) with a system like this I can implement into my map, please provide a link. Otherwise, I need help. This needs to be a leak-free system as much possible if it involves dummy units, etc.

Thank You in advance to anyone who can help me on this.

Level 19
You cant really create a system for this... youd have to remove every projectile than create a custom projectile dealing X damage from position of attacker to attacked (which would require even more systems or a hastable to get the damage)

Level 4
Well, I've seen it done before in the 'Archery Tactics' maps (and other maps) and I know it's possible. The way they did it exactly, I have no idea. I'm guessing they used some kind of region system placed on walls, that when the projectile comes within range of or passes the region, the projectile is destroyed.

Anyway, Thank You for your input.

Level 4
I have no idea. I wish I knew, but I don't. That's the reason why I made this post. Even if it is based off what you said, I have no idea about going how to making such a system.

Level 4
What exactly do you mean by 'if the projectiles heights don't change'? Do you mean if the projectile(s) hit/goes over higher ground in the terrain it would be easier to do? In my game there is higher ground.

Otherwise, no, these skills are not tweaked in such way so as to have their height changed. They're just straightforwardly shot skills aimed at players.

P.S. Not in all cases will hit doodads, I don't think, because I made it to where the pathing of certain doodads were changes SO players aren't given the message 'You cannot target there.' It allows players to shoot and aim where they want. So would your method effect this?

Level 19
I apologize, I misunderstood. I thought u wanted to change a unit's attack projectiles for this. A spell isn't hard, iron should be able to do this

Level 4
Yeah but doesn't doing your method have to use an Event where it checks every 0.02 seconds of game time of where the projectile is? Such an event can cause lag/issues and if that's the case forget about it, especially since the 'Kill Count' in my game to win goes as high as 140 kills. Not only that, these projectiles are going to be used an enormous amount of times, so it's extraordinarily required that this be leak-free and work as flawlessly as possible.

If I misread you wrong in what you said, great, because I hope I'm wrong in my interpretation of what you said and that your method doesn't rely on such as explained in the above. That said, if you're available, can we meet up in Hive's chat on Thursday 12/06/2012 OR Friday 12/07/2012?

From there on I can either hand over the actual map I've been working on or, you can do this in a separate map and I can just CnP what you did into the actual map I have. Up to you.

Let me know.
Siryan

Level 19
0.03 events dont lag as much as you think they would. note that warcraft 3 basically runs roughly 200 0.03 second events to update the graphics engine

Id suggest doing what Ruler says. If it ends up causing lag in your map, your only other option would be (well besides decreasing the timer which would make the movement look choppy) ordering the dummy unit to move from point X to point Y every 0.25 seconds and if point Y is unpathable than destroy dumy

Status
Not open for further replies.