• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect to be used as projectile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey, I need some help making a special effect that will look like a projectile. I want to minimize lag on my map by making gun projectiles special effects instead of units.

I figure creating/destroying special effects is a lot less laggy than creating/destroying units.

When a player clicks his "shoot" gun ability, instead of creating a unit that looks like a bullet, a trigger will create a special effect (that looks like a bullet) at his location. And instead of a 0.03s repeating trigger moving the unit projectile, the trigger will create/destroy special effects (that look like bullets) to generate the same effect.

I just need a special effect that looks like a bullet. It needs to be spherical since I cant change the facing direction of special effects. Also it needs to disappear instantly when destroyed (no death animation) so when my trigger creates/destroys it every 0.03 seconds, it doesnt look like there is more than 1 bullet.

Basically, I just need a spherical bullet that has no death animation and I will be all set!

Level 19
creating and destroying special effects leaks memory
it is better (and less laggy) to create a unit with the model of your special effect and use the "animation - play units animation" trigger instead
also you should not remove the unit afterwards but hide it instead so you can use it later
if you still get lags your special effect is to complex or there are too many of them

Status
Not open for further replies.