• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I need some ideas to get my ass kickstarted into Terraining if you fancy me trying somthing, bear in mind im not that good at it but I need to learn post it below. do not to ask for custom models for doodads ect to be in it, execpt from the ones in "Ultimate Terraining Map".

Also what is the Gem for in th bottom right corner.

Level 25
You mean the bottom left? That is just a display of your reputation. Currently, you have none. Over time, if people enjoy something you did such as post very good impressive terrain screenshots, they may show their appreciation by awarding you with +1 reputation point. People with more reputation get more gems.
~Craka_J

Level 35
Or if you are talking about the gem in the bottom right of the World Editor. Then when that is activated you can click on units and push "delete" and watch them all play their death animations and sounds.

Its pretty fun for a "syncronized swimming" sort of death party :grin:

Level 6
my suggestion is start with a 64 by 64 dalaran or cityscape map, make walls around it and make square "rooms" then start making designs and different patterns. I personally like diamonds with white marble surrounded by black marble

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_083107_205139_01.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
Level 34
Amish, you may want to change that screen shot from tga to JPG or something everyone can view.

Angel, you can make a castle, I'm working on one.

Level 25
I'd help you, but my PC gives me a critical error everytime I load a map with WEU. Sorry!

You should make the walls of a castle with a doodad with no pathing and increase the scaling size of the model. Use a model like Stone Wall (In Destructables category, Cityscape Stone Arches, or simply use 90 degree angle hills to make them look like walls and use stoney tiles on the hills to make it look like a real wall.
~Craka_J

Level 25
Yup. Use this ->
edit.gif
more often. ;-)
~Craka_J

Level 25
What I usually do is pick the Village tileset (I don't know, I like working with that tileset) and add good variation to the tiles and make some hills. Eventually I get an idea from the variations of tiles and hills and end up making something.
It's best to start the map with shallow water, and then raise the ground with the Raise doodad. This makes it easier to make ponds, rivers, oceans, etc. in the future.
~Craka_J

Level 34
You can also look at real landscapes, although it's very hard to reproduce it well, just gives an idea.

Level 25
I do that too. Well I don't do it often at all. But when I'm in the car and looking out the window at the side of the road I study the way mountains build up and try to decide what fog is most commonly seen: Light Blue or Light Gray.
I also like looking at Streams in the country-side and I always wanted to remake one accurately, but I haven't found many models that'd help me make it look realistic or good.
Sometimes making terrain in Warcraft's editor is a bad idea, things will look too big for their size and this is usually due to the low resolution to the skins used on the models. (256x256)
~Craka_J

Level 34
Yeah, I went on a hike with a friends, and I tried to sort of recreate the landscape (Emerald green hills) and failed horribly! I find it nice just to get an idea and change the image entirely, not recreate it.

Level 25
At first they usually make you sick or extremely impressed. I love the model pack so clearly I felt impressed. And to be honest, when people make good terrains with the model pack, it looks amazing and impresses me, even though I could probably have done the same thing.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.