• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need help with triggring altered melee map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Ok, so the map is basically two cities facing each other, each one with its own gate, now what i want is an efficient gate system, i already have one but its buggy. I need to open and close the gate by a lever only a specific player controls, another lever that would take gold and lumber to repair gate, and i want that when the gate is destroyed the first lever becomes un active. it would also be great if the gate thing would be disabled if computer players are detected.

Attachments

• Melee.w3x
    85.3 KB · Views: 57
Level 14
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/competitive-melee-map-252987/
Always useful to know this kind of tutorial.

For the triggering aspect I can say that your triggers does not leaks(Or I do not see any leaks) and that beauty is not important when it is not an heavy trigger nor one you use often except when it allows you to economize dozens of triggers and of lines of code then you can think a little about making them more pretty and to fuse triggers who can be fused.
But the gates are just frail as they have only 500 hp so all the lever aspect is a bit useless you can remove those triggering or make the door important but the latter is an bad idea as it make porking more interesting for players and that melee is not about porking

Level 5
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/competitive-melee-map-252987/
Always useful to know this kind of tutorial.

For the triggering aspect I can say that your triggers does not leaks(Or I do not see any leaks) and that beauty is not important when it is not an heavy trigger nor one you use often except when it allows you to economize dozens of triggers and of lines of code then you can think a little about making them more pretty and to fuse triggers who can be fused.
But the gates are just frail as they have only 500 hp so all the lever aspect is a bit useless you can remove those triggering or make the door important but the latter is an bad idea as it make porking more interesting for players and that melee is not about porking

I greatly appreciate your review, however, as i said this is not a normal melee map, the idea is that you have to build and defend your city, rather then attack the enemy, the problem with my triggers is that when the gate is destroyed it can be built again with clicking the lever, and doing a "when destructible dies " trigger will make it happen when the gate is opened! i will still a load of stuff and triggers, this is why i want to concentrate on the gate thing...

Level 14
Opening a gate is killing it and closing it is resurrecting it(this is what the trigger action does).
If in an melee map you are defending yourself instead of attacking you have already no chance of winning if it is the melee rules(you win when you attack so much your enemy that he loose all his buildings and units).
The same thing in altered melee as it is the same units who allows attacking and defending so if the game-play favors defending over attacking the map is not winnable by any side and so it is boring and no one will play.
So forget about the gate aspect it is as much useless as me.
Why not instead an temporary summon you can get with the lever and who allows you to push over the opponent base when you steal his lever before he use it.

Level 5
Opening a gate is killing it and closing it is resurrecting it(this is what the trigger action does).
If in an melee map you are defending yourself instead of attacking you have already no chance of winning if it is the melee rules(you win when you attack so much your enemy that he loose all his buildings and units).
The same thing in altered melee as it is the same units who allows attacking and defending so if the game-play favors defending over attacking the map is not winnable by any side and so it is boring and no one will play.
So forget about the gate aspect it is as much useless as me.
Why not instead an temporary summon you can get with the lever and who allows you to push over the opponent base when you steal his lever before he use it.

hmmm, maybe defense is boring like you say, but what i meant is that in normal melee, your base has little to no defense, it is very easy to win if you attack while the rest of the units aren't there, the towers are easy to destroy, and attacking a base has little to no challenge, this map will provide strategic defense point ( a gate to hold back enemy, cliffs to have height advantage, small entrances for easy defense ), i will also make an option to disable all that at the start of the game, for player who are more offensive. this a map intended for late game strategy, not a fast
win.

Level 14
Yes except that when you attack your enemy base and that all your army is inside his base and all his army is inside yours then it is the player with the most siege units who wins.
But as you see your map is not really large so you are nearly sure to encounter enemy army and to crush it and win or to have your army crushed and to loose.
Adding gates in the process change nothing except the players could start to pork and to Spam T3 flying and then the map is not fun anymore as it just becomes T3 flying spam.
Also an 500 hp gate is completely negligible it will change nothing as looking at the gate angrily kills it.

Level 5
Yes except that when you attack your enemy base and that all your army is inside his base and all his army is inside yours then it is the player with the most siege units who wins.
But as you see your map is not really large so you are nearly sure to encounter enemy army and to crush it and win or to have your army crushed and to loose.
Adding gates in the process change nothing except the players could start to pork and to Spam T3 flying and then the map is not fun anymore as it just becomes T3 flying spam.
Also an 500 hp gate is completely negligible it will change nothing as looking at the gate angrily kills it.
Hmmm, i see your point. i will make a few tweaks, first. the gate will have more hp, second, players will choose at the start of the map, to choose offensive, defensive, or neutral stance at the start. when you look at the map now its unplayable, when i am done with it, it will be balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.