• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with MPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hey guys, in order for me to do an Easter egg video on the Rexxar campaign, I need to get the extra level maps that were added in later patches to Warcraft 3. The main MPQ for the expansion, War3xlocal, only contains the first "act" of The Founding of Durotar. Does anyone know where to find the other levels that were added later?

I tried opening War3Patch.mpq, but it's just a mess of the wave sound files for the goblin heroes that were added (and the Firelord hero), as well as what I imagine are their skins, models, etc. No maps at all.

Anyone know where they are? I would also like to know what the geyser doodad is that is found in the Dustwallow Marsh level on the Founding of Durotar, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Really? Darn it. So you mean exxxtract (lol, that was a typo, but since it fits I'll leave it) all the .xxx files and change their file types to see which ones are the map files?
If they are not encrypted. If they are encrypted then it may just extract garbage until you know the file name. Editors like MPQEdit crack the encryption on some file types automatically due to them being known to start with certain patterns (eg a BLP file will always be BLP1 as first 4 bytes) which is why the extension is automatically detected.

If you can find reference to the map in one of the files (eg the previous map, maybe a menu) then you can guess/know the path.

It will be in war3patch.mpq.

I've uploaded a screenshot:
polymorph.png

As DSG said, you'll need to supply a custom listfile. I've attached it below (w3.txt). Not all MPQ editors will support it, but you should be able to find an option that says something like Add Listfile or Use Custom Listfile. If you hand in that text-file, it should work. It won't reveal all of the files since the listfile is incomplete, but it should reveal most of them.

Or if you just want the maps themselves, I zipped them below (Rexxar.zip). I also included the file under Maps/Test/OrcVsOrc.j, you can ignore it. I forgot to remove it. It looks like it was just a testing file for volume groups, night/day, and it gave "mucho moneys" at the start of the game.

Attachments

• w3.txt
    876.5 KB · Views: 490
  • Rexxar.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Level 12
Thanks all for your help! I found the correct files from files #220 to #231, so I'm good to go.

I can't believe how helpful this community is! I'm lucky that a forum like this exists for the game I love most. I wish I could just give the entire site rep. :D

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Interestingly, they can be at different positions (#) inside the mpq, depending on the game's locale (and possibly other parameters). But it is not important...

imho you already gave the entire site rep, thanks to your great and cool interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.