• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need Help With An Advanced Character Select System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So I'm trying to figure out how to make this character select system where I have all the heroes (models) displayed in the map, and you push a given key (right, left, up, down) and move to focus on a hero. If you press escape you can select the hero and carry on with the game.

(18 heroes, each row has 3 heroes in it)
NOTE: The hero numbers, and rows can be manipulated. More heroes, less or bigger/smaller rows is all possible.

I'm not sure how to make this happen. Right now I'm trying to use pressing the keys to set an integer variable. If its right +1, left -1. If up +3, if down -3. The idea is to set each point as a specific integer in that variable.
| 0 - 1 - 2 |
| 3 - 4 - 5 |
etc...

But I am not sure how to make this work, let alone with as few triggers as possible, is probably just outside my trigger capabilities. I can do skills and such, but this is new to me.

I figured maybe something a long the lines of a model-less unit that has the commands as well might work... IDK...

Eventually I want to add a method to have secret characters, and when you select one of the characters you can choose from 3 specializations or cancel and return to picking a hero of your type.

Please and thank you ahead of time.

Last edited:
Level 11
So I'm trying to figure out how to make this character select system where I have all the heroes (models) displayed in the map, and you push a given key (right, left, up, down) and move to focus on a hero. If you press escape you can select the hero and carry on with the game.

(18 heroes, each row has 3 heroes in it)
NOTE: The hero numbers, and rows and be manipulated. More heroes, less or bigger/smaller rows is all possible.

I'm not sure how to make this happen. Right now I'm trying to use pressing the keys to set an integer variable. If its right +1, left -1. If up +3, if down -3. The idea is to set each point as a specific integer in that variable.
| 0 - 1 - 2 |
| 3 - 4 - 5 |
etc...

But how to make this work, let alone with as few triggers as possible, is probably just outside my trigger capabilities. I can do skills and such, but this is new to me.

I figured maybe something a long the lines of a model-less unit that has the commands as well might work... IDK...

Eventually I want to add a method to have secret characters, and when you select one of the characters you can choose from 3 specializations or cancel and return to picking a hero of your type.

Please and thank you ahead of time.

Which part of the trigger, exactly, don't you know how to do? Heck, if you could just attach the map I could look at the trigger you have so far and finish it for you.

Level 6
Done. Wow- I just read your ATB systems post and the guy seems really happy. I'm actually about to check to see how it works myself. You seem like a nice guy :3 (And this is prolly easy for you too xD.)

EDIT: A little heads up- everything is going to look better after I get more work done- so don't laugh at whats there. xD (Referenced in signature.) And the triggers I currently have are a little mushed from jumbled ideas. :p

Attachments

• Defense of Roraden Alpha.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Level 11
Done. Wow- I just read your ATB systems post and the guy seems really happy. I'm actually about to check to see how it works myself. You seem like a nice guy :3 (And this is prolly easy for you too xD.)

EDIT: A little heads up- everything is going to look better after I get more work done- so don't laugh at whats there. xD (Referenced in signature.) And the triggers I currently have are a little mushed from jumbled ideas. :p

Alright, I've started working on it, I should be done in a few minutes.

Level 6
xD YAY! I've hit refresh so many times now. Lawl @ a few minutes. I checked out your 'Last Tower' and ATB map, and gave rep. I can't wait.

Level 11
Woot goes to see* Any input? Notes?

Leaks are evil. Don't make leaks. To do this, just set the leaky thing (like a point) to a variable, reference the variable instead of the function, then use a custom script to destroy it (you can see an example of this in the updated map). We have a sticky about things that leak here, make sure to read it! Also... uhhm, none of your triggers really seemed to do anything they were supposed to and were full of bugs. So yeah. :thumbs_up:

Level 6
WOW! ITS MUTHA EFFIN' PERFECT! I'm keeping your name as the folder and I put your name in my credits list next to the model makers.

Leaks are evil. Don't make leaks. To do this, just set the leaky thing (like a point) to a variable, reference the variable instead of the function, then use a custom script to destroy it (you can see an example of this in the updated map). We have a sticky about things that leak here, make sure to read it! Also, set things to variables more instead of repeating functions pointlessly, it's just a waste of efficiency. Also... uhhm, none of your triggers really seemed to do anything they were supposed to and were full of bugs. So yeah. :thumbs_up:

Yea, I'm working on all that... that's why I'm looking over the trigger dozens of times. I'm a bit new to making fancy triggers with GUI and things other than abilities. I'll check out the sticky just cuz' you said so.

Level 11
Yea, I'm working on all that... that's why I'm looking over the trigger dozens of times. I'm a bit new to making fancy triggers with GUI and things other than abilities. I'll check out the sticky just cuz' you said so.

Most of it is just logic (and, for some things (like parabolas), having a rudimentary understanding of mathematics). But there are some things you can't really foresee from just reading the function descriptions in the GUI. For instance, Wait commands are bad, leaks are bad, never use the "Do Nothing" function, use "triggering (unit, player, whatever)" instead of a function like casting unit if you have the choice, set things to variables and reference the variables instead of repeating functions...

Also, make sure you understand how arrays, MUI, and so forth work.

Status
Not open for further replies.