• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with an ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I would like to make the ability "Ancient Wisp" - like the one from the game Warlords Battle Cry 3

- About the ability: It makes 4 wisps to come near by (lets say in a range of 700 of each other) and merge into an ancient wisp (which gives some(little) resources over time)

So I'm a basic triggerer and I don't know how to make that. Any help will be appreciated! + rep for everyone who helps. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 6
Pls give us more information about the wisps movement: they'r spining arround caster or something like that, or just add some kind of link(video) where we can see how it works... (I haven't played Warlords Battle Cry 3...)

Level 7
Well I couldn't find any videos about the wisps merging into an Ancient Wisp so I'll explain what happens in WBC3

- So 4 wisps are needed and the Ancient Wisp upgrade to be researched (wisps are normal peasant/builder units of the high elves in WBC3, IT'S a UNIT ability not hero ability) the hero plays no role in this!
It's like the archon ability in Starcraft with the only difference that there you need 2 units and here you need 4.

When you have selected the 4 wisps the ability "merge into Ancient Wisp" kind of gets able to activate so if you click it the four wisps (no matter where they are) run/move towards each other and when they are in a range (of somewhere about 500 of each other) they merge (like the wisps self destruct ability in WC3) creating only one bigger wisp called Ancient Wisp!

If you like I could add some pics on how it happens?!

I think that's all! But if someone has anymore questions? Just ask! :wink:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
This is not the whole spell but it shows how to do it
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Animate Dead
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Wisp for Player 1 (Red) at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, 0.00)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Move To (Position of (Casting unit))

Level 7
Thank you Darkgrom but I know how to make this part.

- Making the 4 wisps go towards each other at the same time and to disappear merging into the Ancient Wisp. At the same time the ability should not be able to be activated by less than 4 wisps! - this I have no idea how to make by triggers :vw_sad:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
something like this would work i think

• start cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- --- --------
      • Set p = (Position of (Casting unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Wisp for Neutral Passive at (p offset by (0.00, 0.00)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set Wisp[1] = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Make (Last created unit) Invulnerable
      • -------- --- --------
      • Unit - Create 1 Wisp for Neutral Passive at (p offset by (0.00, 0.00)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set Wisp[2] = (Last created unit)
      • -------- --- --------
      • Set Wisp[3] = (Last created unit)
      • -------- --- --------
      • Set Wisp[4] = (Last created unit)
      • -------- --- --------
      • Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of Dummy) for Neutral Passive at p facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set Dummy = (Last created unit)
      • Trigger - Add to wisps <gen> the event (Unit - A unit comes within 100.00 of Dummy)
  • wisps
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Wisp[1]
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Wisp[2]
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Wisp[3]
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to Wisp[4]
    • Actions
      • -------- --- --------
      • Set p = (Position of Dummy)
      • Unit - Create 1 BIGGERWisp for Player 1 (Red) at p facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game

Level 33
Who would cast the research/ability ?

So, the main key, is to find the center of the 4 wisps.

Hmmm... I'll try experiment on it.

Let's say you have 17 wisps on the field, and when you active it, only 4 random wisps will be doing the ritual, right ?
Not all, right ?

So it's picking random 4 units and finding center... okay.

Level 7
Yes D0W3R something like that - still it's only part of what I need!

defskull the research/ability will be made in a building (haven't decided exactly which one but it will surely be a townhall type)

Yes finding the center of the nearest 4 wisps is what I need and yes defskull there could be more than just 4 wisps at the same time but only 4 shall merge when the ability is cast.

At the moment I'm experimenting on the triggers that Darkgrom showed me and I have made some improvements towards the final goal but still there are somethings I don't know how to make yet.

Level 37
Getting the center should be easy, just get the average value of the x- and y coordinates. Calculate the distance from the unit to the center and give each unit their own speed based on the distance so that all of the units will arive at the center at the same time.

Level 7
Yes it would be great if you make this Maker, it will be a big help!

Yes Slash that's exactly what I've been working on but it is too unbalanced this way! And the real ability doesn't work that way either.

Last edited:
Level 7
No guys really I need a helping shoulder here I can't make this on my own, I just still don't have the knowledge to do it, so please help me with it, please someone! :vw_death:

Status
Not open for further replies.