• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Help Please (Modify File Properties)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi I just got Warcraft 3 Reforged and I am so excited to use world editor with the downloaded models but I am not able to modify the file properties at the asset when i open world editor, I am only able to change the name. I am using a windows system. Can anyone help please I really dont know what to do.

Level 1
I do not understand what you are asking. File properties of what?
right sorry so when we download a model we need to import the model first before we can use the model in warcraft 3 reforged, then we need to double click ( to go to imported file properties) and select use custom path. But I dont know why I cant do that, every time i double click, I am only able to edit the file name , if I right click and select file properties also I am only able to edit the file name, I am not able to select use custom path. Is there anything I can do to fix this , or am i doing something wrong?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
right sorry so when we download a model we need to import the model first before we can use the model in warcraft 3 reforged, then we need to double click ( to go to imported file properties) and select use custom path. But I dont know why I cant do that, every time i double click, I am only able to edit the file name , if I right click and select file properties also I am only able to edit the file name, I am not able to select use custom path. Is there anything I can do to fix this , or am i doing something wrong?
File name is file path? It sounds like you are blindly following some old tutorial before they made importing reasonably easy.

If you still are not happy with how the Import Manager handles it, you can save your map as a folder and then use your file explorer to move the files directly into the map's folder as another, more efficient, way to import them.

Level 1
File name is file path? It sounds like you are blindly following some old tutorial before they made importing reasonably easy.

If you still are not happy with how the Import Manager handles it, you can save your map as a folder and then use your file explorer to move the files directly into the map's folder as another, more efficient, way to import them.
Okay maybe I didn't explain properly or maybe I don't understand the process, so when we download a character model. The next step is to import the downloaded character model using asset manager, in asset manager, you will have 3 columns - file name, type, size & full path, then you are supposed to double click the file with the file type (Image/texture) to enter Imported file properties. Once in imported file properties, you select, "use custom path".

The issue now I am not able to go to imported file properties to select "use custom path" , so now when I import the character models they are all white color.

Is this the correct way to import a character model or is there another way?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
All you have to do is give each imported file the correct FILE NAME. You're reading older tutorials, they changed how it works.

Also, if the model is white then it's missing textures.

I attached a picture showing what your Asset Manager should look like if you wanted to import this model (I left out the portrait/icons):

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 201
  • example.png
    example.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Level 1
Okay maybe I didn't explain properly or maybe I don't understand the process, so when we download a character model. The next step is to import the downloaded character model using asset manager, in asset manager, you will have 3 columns - file name, type, size & full path, then you are supposed to double click the file with the file type (Image/texture) to enter Imported file properties. Once in imported file properties, you select, "use custom path".

The issue now I am not able to go to imported file properties to select "use custom path" , so now when I import the character models they are all white color.

Is this the correct way to import a character model or is there another way?
Okay thank you @Dr Super Good & @Uncle for all your time and help I just tried and it worked. I am sooo excited to try them no now. Thank so much again :):):).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The next step is to import the downloaded character model using asset manager, in asset manager, you will have 3 columns - file name, type, size & full path, then you are supposed to double click the file with the file type (Image/texture) to enter Imported file properties. Once in imported file properties, you select, "use custom path".
Or you save the map as a folder, then in file explorer copy the model and its textures, usually already at the correct relative file path in folders inside the zip file you downloaded, into the map's folder. Next time you open the map folder in World Editor the models should automatically be at the correct file paths in the import/asset manager. To play in game you then save the map folder as a map file.

Status
Not open for further replies.