• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Need help for creating skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I REALLY wasn't sure where to put this thread, and I ended up settling on this one. If it's wrong tell me where I should relocate this xD

So I'm trying to make a Blade Dancer for a Dota-esque map, though the skills and how the hero's being made is more similar to League of Legends.

The hero is heavily combo-based, and is more of a melee caster than a carry. Is also a pseudo-assassin.

Current skills:

Passive: None so far, probably something to help with mana management, or adding bonus effects to his other skills, or both, idk! xD (considering the combo-based skill set). Halp pls.

First: None so far, this is what I'm having the most trouble with. Halp pls.

Second: Dance Macabre (aoe around self, cast on button press)
AOE damage + slow. The damage is magic based but ignores magic immunity, deals bonus damage based on STR and AGI.

Third: Blade Waltz (single targeted ability with bonus aoe)
Teleport to target, dealing a bit of magic damage (to main target only) + some bonus aoe physical damage based on AGI (to main target+nearby enemies).
Basically, a teleporting frost nova without the slowing effects.

Ulti: Dragon Dance (single targeted ability)
Basic targeted ability, relatively low cooldown. Deals physical damage 3 times in rapid succession with increasing damage on each hit. Invulnerable while attacking. Costs health instead of mana.

My main problem is that I want the passive, or the first skill, or hell, both, to somehow make the transition between each skill flow really well and make it really seem like a dance.

For example, something like...

Blade waltz to initiate, attack once, perhaps the passive ability affects this somehow, using Dance Macabre, and somehow, the passive has a bonus effect tying in with this, using the first skill, with some bonus effect from passive or tying with other spells, attack again with maybe-passive-bonus and finishing with Dragon Dance, and by the time you use the ultimate, the other cooldowns should be back off cooldown, use them, Dragon Dance, rinse and repeat

Level 20
You can make the Passive
1.1. Add the Slow Effect to Macabre Dance
1.2. Hit Immunetargets with Macabre Dance.
1.3 Add INT damage to Macabre Dance.

2.1 Add the Frost Slow (Frost Nova) effect to Blade Waltz

3.1 Add 2 or 3 additional strikes to Dragon Dance
3.2 Reduce HP or Mana Penalty for casting

4.1 Just add Evasion (It's a dancer, it's probably pretty agile) or Critical or Damage Stack or AS/MS bonus, or some aura.

About the First Skill:

I would probably add your current Ultimate as an Skill, and make your Ultimate something more related to the hero as a dancer. You could make your Blade Dancer roll (dance) so fast that enemy units around are sucked up (like a tornado) taking damage based on distance. The Tornado Dance (Or Dance Swirl) could end up with a clap that slows and makes enemies dizzy (they miss attacks). This fits perfectly your Macabre Dance and your Blade Waltz.

The Dragon thing doesn't really seems to fit. You can make the same skill effect with some other description to make it fit the Hero concept. Maybe call it "Swift Steps" that makes you hit repeatedly (maybe every 0.5s) enemies around you for 2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds. If the same enemy is hit more than once, it takes bonus damage. The skills is a no target cast, and the AoE is small.

So, when your hero cast the ultimate sucking enemies in. You can use any of your other skills to combo with.

BTW This should go on the Ideas Threads. There's a forum for this kind of discussions.

Level 3
You can make the Passive
1.1. Add the Slow Effect to Macabre Dance
1.2. Hit Immunetargets with Macabre Dance.
1.3 Add INT damage to Macabre Dance.

2.1 Add the Frost Slow (Frost Nova) effect to Blade Waltz

3.1 Add 2 or 3 additional strikes to Dragon Dance
3.2 Reduce HP or Mana Penalty for casting

4.1 Just add Evasion (It's a dancer, it's probably pretty agile) or Critical or Damage Stack or AS/MS bonus, or some aura.

About the First Skill:

I would probably add your current Ultimate as an Skill, and make your Ultimate something more related to the hero as a dancer. You could make your Blade Dancer roll (dance) so fast that enemy units around are sucked up (like a tornado) taking damage based on distance. The Tornado Dance (Or Dance Swirl) could end up with a clap that slows and makes enemies dizzy (they miss attacks). This fits perfectly your Macabre Dance and your Blade Waltz.

The Dragon thing doesn't really seems to fit. You can make the same skill effect with some other description to make it fit the Hero concept. Maybe call it "Swift Steps" that makes you hit repeatedly (maybe every 0.5s) enemies around you for 2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds. If the same enemy is hit more than once, it takes bonus damage. The skills is a no target cast, and the AoE is small.

So, when your hero cast the ultimate sucking enemies in. You can use any of your other skills to combo with.

BTW This should go on the Ideas Threads. There's a forum for this kind of discussions.

I got confused with the 1.1 and 2.1 stuff ._.

Also I'm using Dragon Dance as an ultimate but tbh this hero doesn't have an "ultimate" - my dancer concept isn't really aesthetic nimbleness per se, but make it seem like his skills never end, like they just keep flowing and he keeps moving around the battlefield with Blade Waltz. Of course this is limited by cooldowns, but I don't want one big "finale" kinda thing, I want the dance to never end. The problem with the neverending dance is, of course, cooldowns and mana, which is why I wanted to add some sort of mana managemenet onto the passive or any of the skills (probably besides Dragon Dance). I'm not sure if that makes sense but yeah xD

Level 20
It's the base for the skill.

1.x refers to The passive effect on first skill
2.x refers to the passive effect ont he 2nd skill
3.x refers to the passive effect on the 3rth skill

and so on...

x's are just the options.

Level 3
It's the base for the skill.

1.x refers to The passive effect on first skill
2.x refers to the passive effect ont he 2nd skill
3.x refers to the passive effect on the 3rth skill

and so on...

x's are just the options.

I'd rather not add existing effects to the passive xD

The tornado dance is an interesting idea though. Something like after every spell cast, deal damage in an area and draw enemies hit closer to the dancer?

I'd also really want something to help with mana management, since he's very spammy and has low mana/mana regen. Keep the ideas flowing!

Level 8
A bit off topic, but it should technically be "Danse Macabre", which is French for Dance of Death, as the phrase refers to the medieval artistic allegory of the universality of death. (Kings and popes aren't any better off than peasants or slaves)

Level 20
You could add Mana Steal effect, or a temp mana boost when kills something or make one of his skills toggle in a way that the mana cost of ability is taken as HP reduction (they cost hp instead of mana when ability is activated) at a certain proportion (Lvl 1 costs 150% hp. lvl2 130%, lvl3 110%, lvl 4 90% of mana cost as hp)

Level 3
A bit off topic, but it should technically be "Danse Macabre", which is French for Dance of Death, as the phrase refers to the medieval artistic allegory of the universality of death. (Kings and popes aren't any better off than peasants or slaves)

Wow, I never noticed that I wrote Dance instead of Danse.

When I first read your comment I was like, "but... I DID write Danse, didn't I?"

Turns out I didn't. Kudos to you for noticing haha

Status
Not open for further replies.